Four Quick Fixes to Help Your Lustrous Face Shine

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Four Quick Fixes to Help Your Lustrous Face Shine

<!--BEGIN RIGHT-ALIGNED TABLE--><!--END RIGHT-ALIGNED TABLE--><!--BSHSTARTBODY-->QUESTION: My face looks dull, even after I put my makeup on. What can I do to brighten it up?

ANSWER: In a perfect world, makeup instantly makes us look awake, chic and luminous. In the real world, however, with its late nights, can't-live-without-it coffee and stress, even makeup sometimes falls short. We may look polished after some foundation, mascara and blush, but we look anything but luminous.

Luckily, you don't need to make sleep, herbal tea and massage your new pastimes (as much as you would love to!) to get a glowing makeup look. You simply need to know the tricks that makeup artists use to create a glow. Here, we share some of them: Trick No. 1: Choose shimmer. Flat, matte eye shadows, blushes and lipsticks are can't miss basics, and will give you a polished, pulled-together look, but they don't always give that glow. Instead of using all matte formulas on your face, mix things up with a bit of shimmer. Pair shimmery eye shadow with matte blush and lipstick, for example. That one hit of glimmer will wake up your face.

Trick No. 2: Love liquid highlighter. Surprise: Most models don't show up to photo shoots with dewy, almost-sparkling skin. That's makeup in action. Makeup artists often add a drop or two of gold or pink shimmery highlighter to foundation before applying it. Doing so gives skin a hint of shimmer and gleam, without obvious glitter or heavy frost.

Trick No. 3: Highlight strategically. If you're not up for the overall highlighted idea, try a subtler approach: highlighter on specific areas of your face. Two areas that look gorgeous when highlighted are the tops of cheekbones and the inner corners of the eye. Highlighting these areas is easy: Simply swipe your finger across a shimmery powder shadow (gold and soft white are good choices for all skin tones), then lightly dab it onto your skin. Blend with a clean finger. This gives you an instant wide-eyed or great-skin look.

Trick No. 4: Go monochrome. You'd think that wearing lots of different colors on the face would have a brightening effect. In fact, too many shades together can accentuate the non-color of your skin, making your whole face appear painted but dull. Instead, wear colors in the same color family, such as beige, brown or peach. Add some shimmer to your eyes or lips (but not both at the same time) and you'll have a sophisticated, warm, glowing look. From More magazine

Ya know what I love that I just got last week?? Bobbi Brown's color options highlighter in Opal. It's so nice! Very subtle highlighting but really smooth.. people have been asking about my skin constantly because of it. I am not sure how much it is, someone from MUA gave it to me for FREE!!!!!!
eek.gif

Great article Diane. I have to agree w/the shimmer. It provides a certain glow that really perks up the face. I was a bit tired one day when a complete stranger told me that my face had a wonderful glow to it & asked if I was pregnant. I wasn't & she was mortified, but I told her that I was flattered to know that my skin had a pregnant woman's glow to it all thanks to makeup.
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back