Girl Power!!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Gals, Check these butt kicking women out. Hope they offer some inspiration!!! My favorite is numero cinco!

The 100 most powerful women in the world

<TABLE align=right><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse"><!--PG=INVILS--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Forbes ranks the women who are changing not only the societies where they work, but also the role of women in power.

By Elizabeth Macdonald and Chana R. Schoenberger, Forbes

"I don't mind how much my ministers talk," baroness Margaret Thatcher once said, "as long as they do what I say."

The former British prime minister long ago defied the conventional wisdom that women can gain power only by studiously working behind the scenes to forge consensus. That's why she and 99 other leaders in politics, business and social causes have made it to the first Forbes ranking of the world's most powerful women.

How do you measure relative power? Realistically, it's hard to quantify the differences between, say, a chief executive and a Supreme Court justice. They wield power in vastly different ways.

But we attempted the impossible -- comparing the incommensurable -- by creating a power scorecard.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR height=18><TD class=smallfontreverse> Forbes' 10 most powerful women in the world</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=0 borderColorDark=white cellPadding=2 rules=rows width="100%" border=1 frame=below><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cccccc><TD class=smallprompt>Rank</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Name</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Country</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>1.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Condoleezza Rice</TD><TD class=smallprompt>United States</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>2.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Wu Yi</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Vice Premier, China</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>3.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Sonia Gandhi</TD><TD class=smallprompt>President, Congress Party, India </TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>4.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Laura Bush</TD><TD class=smallprompt>U.S. First Lady</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>5.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Hillary Rodham Clinton</TD><TD class=smallprompt>U.S. Senator</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>6.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Sandra Day O'Connor</TD><TD class=smallprompt>U.S. Supreme Court justice</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>7.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Ruth Bader Ginsburg</TD><TD class=smallprompt>U.S. Supreme Court justice</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>8.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Megawati Sukarnoputri</TD><TD class=smallprompt>President, Indonesia </TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>9.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Gloria Macapagal Arroyo</TD><TD class=smallprompt>President, Philippines </TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallprompt>10.</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Carleton "Carly" S. Fiorina</TD><TD class=smallprompt>Chair and chief executive, Hewlett-Packard</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

For each candidate we came up with a numerical weight defined by her title and résumé; the size of the economic sphere in which she wields power (a foundation is measured by its endowment, a country by its GDP); and the number of global media mentions. We threw in some subjective adjustments -- more weight to a current head of state than a former one, for instance.

Finally, we sought the advice of the pros who study women at Catalyst, a nonprofit research group in New York, and Laura Liswood, secretary general of the Council of Women World Leaders, who helped vet candidates.

Forbes has the complete list of 100.

#1 - Condoleeza Rice. I really admire Ms. Rice for her sheer strength, courage and tenacity during incredibly challenging times.

MTNG.jpg

From the online article @ Forbes.com:

Advising the leader of the world's largest superpower--and having the ear of leaders around the globe--makes Rice, 49, the most powerful woman in the world. President George W. Bush trusts Rice implicitly, likely more than anyone else in the White House. When Rice speaks, she speaks for the president. With her silver-tongued diplomacy and steely nerve, Rice has played a key, behind-the-scenes role in helping to steer the United States through two wars, as well as the resulting controversies. Rice also served under President George H.W. Bush and in the Reagan administration. Despite growing up with racial segregation in Birmingham, Ala., Rice says her "parents had me absolutely convinced that, well, you may not be able to have a hamburger at Woolworth's but you can be president of the United States."-Elizabeth MacDonald

It would be cool if Condoleezza Rice would ever try for Vice president or something. The woman is phenomenal and has serious credentials.

And then there's Laura Bush, so beautiful and loving.

Originally Posted by shoediva

Hi Gals, Check these butt kicking women out. Hope they offer some inspiration!!! My favorite is numero cinco!
The 100 most powerful women in the world

Forbes ranks the women who are changing not only the societies where they work, but also the role of women in power.

By Elizabeth Macdonald and Chana R. Schoenberger, Forbes

"I don't mind how much my ministers talk," baroness Margaret Thatcher once said, "as long as they do what I say."

The former British prime minister long ago defied the conventional wisdom that women can gain power only by studiously working behind the scenes to forge consensus. That's why she and 99 other leaders in politics, business and social causes have made it to the first Forbes ranking of the world's most powerful women.

How do you measure relative power? Realistically, it's hard to quantify the differences between, say, a chief executive and a Supreme Court justice. They wield power in vastly different ways.

But we attempted the impossible -- comparing the incommensurable -- by creating a power scorecard.

Forbes' 10 most powerful women in the world

Rank
Name
Country

Condoleezza Rice
United States

Wu Yi
Vice Premier, China

Sonia Gandhi
President, Congress Party, India

Laura Bush
U.S. First Lady

Hillary Rodham Clinton
U.S. Senator

Sandra Day O'Connor
U.S. Supreme Court justice

Ruth Bader Ginsburg
U.S. Supreme Court justice

Megawati Sukarnoputri
President, Indonesia

Gloria Macapagal Arroyo
President, Philippines

Carleton "Carly" S. Fiorina
Chair and chief executive, Hewlett-Packard

For each candidate we came up with a numerical weight defined by her title and résumé; the size of the economic sphere in which she wields power (a foundation is measured by its endowment, a country by its GDP); and the number of global media mentions. We threw in some subjective adjustments -- more weight to a current head of state than a former one, for instance.

Finally, we sought the advice of the pros who study women at Catalyst, a nonprofit research group in New York, and Laura Liswood, secretary general of the Council of Women World Leaders, who helped vet candidates.

Forbes has the complete list of 100.

Latest posts

Back