Glossybox August 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I subbed in May and so far I like it.  While there is only one box that I loved 100% (that's the Dallas Shaw collab box), May and July boxes are 60-70% favorable for me.  (For the record, I rank GB higher than Birchbox where I have probably an average of 30-50% chance of liking my box).  

For me, I care less about customer service, box shipping timeliness, etc.  What I look for in a sub box is consistency in product quality, product variety between skin care, hair, and beauty products, and nice deluxe sample sizes - that is why Glossybox wins for me.  

I think there are lots of strong opinions about GB from current subscribers and former subscribers.  Probably where we all (mostly) agree is that collab boxes tend to be GB's best boxes, European GB is better than US GB, and their customer service/cancelling service is annoying. 

I would take a look at the previous items in the boxes - sometimes they repeat products or fragrances from the same brand. If you think that the products reflect the value of spending $21/mo, and you don't mind customer service/billing issues, then you should take a chance.  If you think $21 is too high a price to gamble, you fear you'll be disappointed based on previous products, or you hate CS issues, then it's probably not the box for you.

One thought - GB ships later than most beauty subs, it never sells out, and it doesn't have a waiting list.  You can always hold off until you find a box that you absolutely love (via spoilers and MUT posts) and then order the box, then immediately unsubscribe until you get another box you really want.

Originally Posted by Hils /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sooooooooo on the fence about Glossybox. I really want to try them and they seem to have great products, but all the complaints are really deterring me. Has anyone else made the leap recently? If so, are you glad you did? I currently subscribe to Ipsy and Birchbox.... but I've been bitten by the subscription box addiction!

Do we usually get spoilers, or is it only for collab boxes and sneak peak emails to former subscribers?

Do we usually get spoilers, or is it only for collab boxes and sneak peak emails to former subscribers?
They'll usually post the spoiler on FB and email subscribers old and new. Should be out soon. I'm anxious for the Britain box.

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I subbed in May and so far I like it.  While there is only one box that I loved 100% (that's the Dallas Shaw collab box), May and July boxes are 60-70% favorable for me.  (For the record, I rank GB higher than Birchbox where I have probably an average of 30-50% chance of liking my box).  

For me, I care less about customer service, box shipping timeliness, etc.  What I look for in a sub box is consistency in product quality, product variety between skin care, hair, and beauty products, and nice deluxe sample sizes - that is why Glossybox wins for me.  

I think there are lots of strong opinions about GB from current subscribers and former subscribers.  Probably where we all (mostly) agree is that collab boxes tend to be GB's best boxes, European GB is better than US GB, and their customer service/cancelling service is annoying. 

I would take a look at the previous items in the boxes - sometimes they repeat products or fragrances from the same brand. If you think that the products reflect the value of spending $21/mo, and you don't mind customer service/billing issues, then you should take a chance.  If you think $21 is too high a price to gamble, you fear you'll be disappointed based on previous products, or you hate CS issues, then it's probably not the box for you.

One thought - GB ships later than most beauty subs, it never sells out, and it doesn't have a waiting list.  You can always hold off until you find a box that you absolutely love (via spoilers and MUT posts) and then order the box, then immediately unsubscribe until you get another box you really want.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hils /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sooooooooo on the fence about Glossybox. I really want to try them and they seem to have great products, but all the complaints are really deterring me. Has anyone else made the leap recently? If so, are you glad you did? I currently subscribe to Ipsy and Birchbox.... but I've been bitten by the subscription box addiction!

Your post was so helpful -- thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with your thoughts :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> When I get paid on Wednesday I'm going to take the plunge. I'm not really picky about when I actually get my box and I love to try everything -- things I've tried that I'm not interest in end up on my trade list (like Coola... sorry Coola lovers, but I'm just not a fan).

I'm so new to beauty/skincare/haircare that I don't even know any brands to have an opinion... but I'm slowly getting there! For the longest time I would end up getting an invitation to a wedding and have to go out and buy all new makeup because everything I had was expired... by the time the next wedding/event would come around it would happen again where it was years since I last used my makeup.... it's a vicious cycle...

I had an interview today and my four year old was trying to help me get ready by taking all my makeup out of a big bag I keep it in (yes... I have not figured out how to effectively organize it yet... so it's all in a reusable shopping bag... how ghetto, I know.. lol). I didn't really want it all taken out, but she promptly told me, "Come on Mommy, Have some fun." Don't mind if I do :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks again for your thoughts :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Can't wait until Wednesday!

Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as I complain and moan about various issues with GB, I would be gutted if they went out of business ;(
iagree.gif

Originally Posted by evildrporkchop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by ewiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They'll usually post the spoiler on FB and email subscribers old and new. Should be out soon. I'm anxious for the Britain box.

If its the same one they did in Germany then its a great box, I missed the one here but I would definitely buy it if they sell it in the US.

Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If its the same one they did in Germany then its a great box, I missed the one here but I would definitely buy it if they sell it in the US.
I'm hoping it's the same since the wedding boxes were nearly identical. Fingers crossed!

Anyone know when the optimum time to redeem dots to prevent either being charged or receiving duplicate box shipment is? Seems to be now or soon. I can't remember how it panned out last time. Perhaps someone here has a fresher memory.

Originally Posted by mermuse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know when the optimum time to redeem dots to prevent either being charged or receiving duplicate box shipment is? Seems to be now or soon. I can't remember how it panned out last time. Perhaps someone here has a fresher memory.
I was wondering the same thing too...

They typically charge the first week of the month, so I would redeem my dots then to ensure that I won't get the previous month's box.

Originally Posted by lexxies22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You didn't know about this? It happened in early June. Having to do with a spat out with Glossybox Dallas Shaw collobration. Love their polishes. I have 7 so far :)
I had no idea but now I do 
bandit.gif

Found this on Instagram. GB partnered up with a new beauty blog, Byrdie, to create a box, but it doesn't look like it's for sale. It was most likely just sent out to editors, bloggers, etc. to celebrate Byrdie's launch. I wish it was available for purchase because I would fork over whatever they'd ask for it. The contents are just...perfect.

2353b094f97011e2a3b222000a9f1696_7.jpg

Found this on Instagram. GB partnered up with a new beauty blog, Byrdie, to create a box, but it doesn't look like it's for sale. It was most likely just sent out to editors, bloggers, etc. to celebrate Byrdie's launch. I wish it was available for purchase because I would fork over whatever they'd ask for it. The contents are just...perfect.

That is pretty perfect! They should have sold that, I'm sure they'd have tons of takers.

Just got a link to the July Glossbox Mag. The last page includes a 15% off coupon for multi-month subscriptions.

I. DIE.

Back