habit's hurting me

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
okay, bare (bear?) with me here and please don't think i'm weird because it's getting pretty serious.

ever since i was a baby, i've been touching my hair (on my head). it's been getting worse and worse. i twirl it, i touch it, i smooth it through my fingers, put it between my lips, etc. it's gotten so bad that sometimes i can't sleep at night because i pull my hair outta my ponytail and touch it, then sit up and put it back up, then pull it out again. if i don't do it sometimes, it bothers me.

the twirling's also been hurting my hands. i feel like my bones hurt.

it's so bad that EVERYONE, even my teachers used to bring it to my attention, knows me for doing this. mom complains in the car, one day she's gonna get into an accident because my hand distracts her!

all of the females in my family do it, but not as bad as me. my mom just runs her hand through her hair. my older sister picks at her split ends. my younger sister twirls, too, but nothing serious. it's more of a i'm-bored-type-of-thing.

i'm kinda embarrassed to ask my mom about it and i know she won't know anything. do you think it's just a bad habit or some kinda disorder or what? i wanna stop because it HURTS and it bothers me and interrupts me from whatever i'm doing. sometimes i even wanna cry because i can't stop.

when my hair's in a ponytail, i like to pick at the pieces underneath and pull it out. if i can't, i'll try to twirl it from there. i don't think i've ever kept a neat ponytail.

is this something i should bring to my doctor's attention?

help
frown.gif

Anything that is distruptive to your life and you can't seem to stop on your own is definitely something you need to bring to your doctor's attention! Not being a psychologist
wink.gif
I'm not sure if would be OCD or not -- looking at that website that charms posted, there are several possible causes for such a habit.

I'm no expert on psychology, but this sounds like a nervous habit that's developed into serious OCD. I'd talk to a doctor about it & try to stop it before it gets worse.

Hang in there Jennifer. ~HUGS~

That sounds awful that it's actually causing you to suffer! I've heard of a disease where people pull their hair out. Do you do that? Either way, I agree with everyone else, you should definately mention it to a doctor. If it's disruptive to your life than it's a problem, even if it doesn't seem like one!

thanks so much for replying, girls.

it's not that disease where you pull the hair out. i don't do that. i just constantly touch, twirl, smooth, etc.

i don't think i started from being nervous because i was never, ever a nervous person, even when i would have a reason to be. also, this started once i even got hair, but do you think i was nervous as a baby, if that makes sense?

thanks again, everyone. i'm gonna try to bring it up to my mom. maybe i'll write a letter because i'm not very open with her about these things and it'll be hard...

Originally Posted by Jennifer thanks so much for replying, girls.
it's not that disease where you pull the hair out. i don't do that. i just constantly touch, twirl, smooth, etc.

i don't think i started from being nervous because i was never, ever a nervous person, even when i would have a reason to be. also, this started once i even got hair, but do you think i was nervous as a baby, if that makes sense?

thanks again, everyone. i'm gonna try to bring it up to my mom. maybe i'll write a letter because i'm not very open with her about these things and it'll be hard...

yeah.. I would think it's a nervous or 'comfort' habit. I would ask your mom if she notices that you are doing it very often and ask if she thinks you should see a doctor... and then tell her you are concerned as to why you're doing it - and that you dont' want problems later in life if your hands are hurting from it
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 yeah.. I would think it's a nervous or 'comfort' habit. I would ask your mom if she notices that you are doing it very often and ask if she thinks you should see a doctor... and then tell her you are concerned as to why you're doing it - and that you dont' want problems later in life if your hands are hurting from it
icon_wink.gif
oh, she notices because it's all i hear. sometimes she'll even imitate me!
i really don't think it's a nervous habit, though. i'm never nervous! ever!

thanks for replying, janelle
smile.gif

Nervous energy isn't always the typical "nervous" connotation that most people think of. It's unreleased excess energy, so you've opted to fidget w/your hair. IMO, it's kind of like a child sucking his/her thumb. However, hair-twirling isn't uncommon among women & another habit like thumb-sucking. Talk to a counselor, school teacher/nurse, or your doctor to see what they recommend.

Jennifer, I agree with the others. You do need to talk to someone. I think Gail is right about the nervous thing...you may not think you are nervous but still it seems to be a "nervous" habit. Try talking or writing a letter to your Mom. What about your dr.'s nurse? Do you think you could talk with her about it?

OMG Jennifer are you my cousin? All she does is twirl her hair in her fingers like 24/7. It drives evreyone else around the bend. I dont see it as a disorder though and she's not a nervous person its just plain habit really

gail, okay, i understand now. thank you for explaining
smile.gif

laura, my sister doing it is a habit, but i don't think mine is. mine is a habit gone bad. it aggravates me and it hurts me and i can't sleep sometimes because i need to sit up in my bed and pull my hair outta my ponytail. you could be right, though. it could just be a very, very bad habit, but i figured a very, very bad habit would be some kind of disorder or whatever else.

thanks for replying, girls
smile.gif

Oh sorry Jennifer, i thought you were saying that it wasn't a disorder & that it was just a habit. I didn't realise that you had it that bad though so sorry if you thought i was dissing your problem! I'd defo speak to a professional about it so honey. Hope you get it sorted

Oh Jennifer, I feel for you. ~HUGS~ I'm glad to know that you recognize this as a problem & are seeking advice on how to improve the situation.

Whenever you get the urge to tug on your ponytail, try doing something else. Write a letter, tap your fingers, fold your hands together--anything to eliminate the tugging, twirling & pulling. Maybe if you can start knitting, it might help you focus that excess energy into something you can physically produce--scarf, hat, bag, sweater, etc.

Habits are hard to break, but this might be a temporary solution until you can get help. Try your school nurse or teacher for suggestions.

My bad habit was smoking & I quit cold turkey b/c I knew it was bad for my health. Yours may not be bad for your health, but think about sitting @ graduation & a videographer zeroing in on you twirling/pulling/tugging your hair. That visual might help you slow or stop it & eventually free you from this habit. Another thing to think of is if you're in a dream-job interview. Picture yourself twirling/tugging/pulling your hair & the interviewer making a strange face. That image may help you stop.

I hope those images will help you curb your habit. The way I look @ it, if you wouldn't do it @ an important event or in view of "important people", you can kick the habit.

Good luck!

~HUGS~

Originally Posted by Laura Oh sorry Jennifer, i thought you were saying that it wasn't a disorder & that it was just a habit. I didn't realise that you had it that bad though so sorry if you thought i was dissing your problem! I'd defo speak to a professional about it so honey. Hope you get it sorted oh, no! i understand! i'm sorry if i came off in a little rude in the reply back to you. i hate the internet sometimes! i wasn't trying to be
smile.gif

Originally Posted by keaLoha Whenever you get the urge to tug on your ponytail, try doing something else. Write a letter, tap your fingers, fold your hands together--anything to eliminate the tugging, twirling & pulling. Maybe if you can start knitting, it might help you focus that excess energy into something you can physically produce--scarf, hat, bag, sweater, etc.
Habits are hard to break, but this might be a temporary solution until you can get help. Try your school nurse or teacher for suggestions.

My bad habit was smoking & I quit cold turkey b/c I knew it was bad for my health. Yours may not be bad for your health, but think about sitting @ graduation & a videographer zeroing in on you twirling/pulling/tugging your hair. That visual might help you slow or stop it & eventually free you from this habit. Another thing to think of is if you're in a dream-job interview. Picture yourself twirling/tugging/pulling your hair & the interviewer making a strange face. That image may help you stop.

I hope those images will help you curb your habit. The way I look @ it, if you wouldn't do it @ an important event or in view of "important people", you can kick the habit.

my mom actually says to me, "when you get married, you'll be touching your hair the whole time. HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK YOU'LL LOOK?" LOL

that's good advice, about me doing something else.

thank you so much
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer okay, bare (bear?) with me here and please don't think i'm weird because it's getting pretty serious.
ever since i was a baby, i've been touching my hair (on my head). it's been getting worse and worse. i twirl it, i touch it, i smooth it through my fingers, put it between my lips, etc. it's gotten so bad that sometimes i can't sleep at night because i pull my hair outta my ponytail and touch it, then sit up and put it back up, then pull it out again. if i don't do it sometimes, it bothers me.

the twirling's also been hurting my hands. i feel like my bones hurt.

it's so bad that EVERYONE, even my teachers used to bring it to my attention, knows me for doing this. mom complains in the car, one day she's gonna get into an accident because my hand distracts her!

all of the females in my family do it, but not as bad as me. my mom just runs her hand through her hair. my older sister picks at her split ends. my younger sister twirls, too, but nothing serious. it's more of a i'm-bored-type-of-thing.

i'm kinda embarrassed to ask my mom about it and i know she won't know anything. do you think it's just a bad habit or some kinda disorder or what? i wanna stop because it HURTS and it bothers me and interrupts me from whatever i'm doing. sometimes i even wanna cry because i can't stop.

when my hair's in a ponytail, i like to pick at the pieces underneath and pull it out. if i can't, i'll try to twirl it from there. i don't think i've ever kept a neat ponytail.

is this something i should bring to my doctor's attention?

help
frown.gif

Hey
icon_biggrin.gif
,This issue struck home with me. My husband is constantly twirling his hair or picking it,or notting it, he has even pulled some out. Now I am not a doctor,but I think it is a comfort thing for him and he has been doing this all his life.Dr.phil had a show where he had hair pulllers/twirlers on,He said you have to exchange your habit with a new one (positive). My best advice is not to stress,and just ask your doctor,this way you can approch the problem and then find a way to deal with it that will work for you. I hope This helps a bit. p.s. Maybe on dr phil.com there is still info on this.

i'm always twirling my hair. more for something to keep me occupied i guess. lol. i heard girls who play with thier hair, like always twirling it, have built up sexual tension. lol. not sure if it's true though.

Hi Jennifer, it sounds as though you are suffering from tricholamina (i will get the correct spelling) which is a conditon similar to what you describle.I had a childood friend with this disorder and he kept pulling all his hair out but had no control over it.I would definaltey tell your Doctor about your habit becuase often it is a result of some underlying problem (anxietly depression stress etc). People can get this disorder from varied degree's but if its hurting you then its time to ask for help.There are treatment's nowaday's for disorder's like that and other simliar one's. Good Luck sweetie and let us know how you get on.

The correct spelling is Tri Col Mania(which is the conditon of hair pulling etc)

Humm if it is OCD, this is a common thing, friend of the family has this and pulls her hair out, she has little bald spots everywhere, my mom has OCD she can not stop cleaning everything and i also have it as well, I write the same things over and over again, I can go through a 1 subject in about 1-2 days. I would really talk to your doctor about it. Good Luck with everything, I am sure it will all go well once you speak with your doctor.

sorry i haven't responded! i forgot about this thread.

it's not tri... whatever the word is. i don't pull my hair out completely, only outta my ponytail. i made that clear above (that sounds very rude, but i'm not trying to be!)
smile.gif

it's not OCD. it just doesn't make sense to be.

liz, i've never heard the sexual tension thing before LOL

i didn't know it was on dr phil. i'm gonna look on his website now. thanks!

sorry I just saw this thread.

Jennifer, to some degree I know how you feel. I have the same problem, although yours seems to be a lot worse from what you wrote.

for me it was my mum too who told me it´s getting pretty annoying. everytime we sit on the couch and watch TV I start twirling my hair and playing with it she grabs my hand and tells me to stop.

It´s even really annoying for myself, cause it´s so automatic, you sorta only realize you´re doing it again halfway. I payed more attention to it lately and found out I only do it in situations where I´m bored or when I can´t sleep.

it´s hard to discribe...I just sit there and all of a sudden my mind just "switches off" and I´m not even thinking of anything and I don´t realize I´m twirling my hair again. then after a while my mind switches back on and I realize I´m doing it again. hope you can understand what I mean, it´s so hard to discribe.

but I do pull out my hair a little-I mean I don´t pull violently and I don´t have any bald spots (and I´ve been doing it forever), but as a result of always messing with strands of hair you just loose a few.

I agree with the others, I think you should talk about it with someone. When it comes to a point where it bothers you a LOT and it distracts you from everyday life you should really talk to somebody. I have no idea what exactly this could be, I don´t think it´s anything serious. (ok I guess I´m only saying it cause I do it too, although not as bad as you, and I consider myself pretty "normal" *lol*..whatever that means)

anyway, I hope you get this sorted out. I know this can be a pain in the butt!

Latest posts

Back