Hair brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it really important to have a good hair brush? I use a Conair round brush that I picked up at Target for like $4 for pretty much everything. I'm just wondering if using a good brush really gives better results.

Originally Posted by bonbon412 Is it really important to have a good hair brush? I use a Conair round brush that I picked up at Target for like $4 for pretty much everything. I'm just wondering if using a good brush really gives better results. Great question bonbon! I truly believe in quality hairbrushes. When I was 18 and getting my hair done in a "big city" shop for the first time, I was turned on to Denman brushes. At that time, after my hair was all styled, it was so silky and shiny and smooth. I commented on it to the stylist, who responded "it's the brush". I bought one on the spot, even though it was $20 and I thought I must be insane to actually pay that much for a brush!!! Well, I got the same great results once I got home. And, that was 14 years ago, and I STILL have and use that brush!!! It's not like brand new but, hey, it's still fine! I wouldn't have believed any of it unless it happened to me. So I really recommend investing in good brushes. Even if the cheap ones you use seem to work "ok", I know you'll see a marked difference if you try some upscale ones. I know they'll be a lot more than $20 nowadays tho...but 20 bucks was a lot more money back then!
icon_redface.gif
HTH!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I think it all depends on how you wear & treat your hair. Since I try not to blow-dry my hair, I only need a wide-tooth comb. I do own a few salon brushes, but seldom use them. When I do, I find that blow-drying my hair w/those is much easier than using something from the drugstore.

Thanks girls...OK so what are some good brushes? I have tons of very thick wavy/curly hair. I straighten it maybe once a week and when I wear it curly, I don't brush or dry it so it's not too damaged. So what kind of brushes should I look for?

I think it's more on the brush itself, and how it's made, rather than the name... (Although my first brush was a Denman too Jess!!! And I LOVED IT!!! Used it for years!) But now every company is making the same kind of brushes, and if you know what you're looking for, you can usually get a great brush at a good price. I really LOVE ceramic barrelled brushes with thin nylon/plastic bristles. You get such a smooth & shiny result. I find boars hair brushes cause way too much static and frizz. I also like the ceramic ones because the centers heat up evenly for extra smoothness. Even if you don't get a ceramic brush, one with a metal center will help give you better results because it kind of acts like a curling iron b/c the barrel heats up from the dryer. To go straight I like to finish it off with a large paddle brush *mine is Jerome Alexander* and that gives it a nice finish. Unless you have naturally straight hair w/ no frizz, a paddle brush isn't the best choice to dry your hair straight ... you need more of the concentrated heat that you get from a round brush. But no matter what the brand, as long as you can tell that it's a brush that you can work with... then it's worth it!
smile.gif

Thanks! I'm excited...I'm gonna go brush shopping sometime this week and try out a ceramic brush...I love my ceramic flat iron!

I like this paddle brush by Aveda.

av_A09A_231.jpg

I also have something like this
av_A1Y9_231.jpg
but mine has a metal interior instead of the ceramic. I found that it works great when blow-drying curly/wavy hair straight & think the ceramic would be a lot gentler against the folicles & strands.

I have a ceramic brush similar to this:

152218.jpg

(Actually I think my brush is also Conair, it's just a different color than this.) I use it to blow-dry my fine, wavy hair straight. The tag claims that the vents help dry your hair faster and more evenly.... But when I try to use a round brush to blow-dry my hair my hair tends to get a little too poofy.

However after I blowdry it straight, I use a 3/4" round brush with a metal barrel, also Conair, similar to this:

156392.jpg

which I use to flip the ends of my hair out. I can't seem to get the flip right with the other brush. Both of these brushes have those stiff plastic bristles with the little knobs on the end -- since there's not a lot of bristles it seems to help reduce frizz. (Of course what really reduces frizz while blowdrying is my John Frieda Frizz Ease Wind-Down cream but that's another story for another thread
wink.gif
) You can find both of these brushes for about $5-6 at drugstores and Wal-Mart.
smile.gif

My hair is short enough that I seldom brush it during the day to detangle it, but when I do (and when I detangle it after a shower) I actually use a men's hair comb.
icon_redface.gif
I'm not sure if it's the best for my hair, but it gets the tangles out much better than any hair brush I've tried and it doesn't make my hair as frizzy and static-y as most brushes -- or at least not as most cheap brushes, I haven't tried high-end ones
smile.gif

The ones I use are like this.... the larger ones help to straighten and to make larger waves, the smaller ones are good for flipping/curling the ends
icon_cheesygrin.gif

To see a closer view, click HERE and then click the larger view of the pic
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back