hair color

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am normally a strawberry blonde/light redhead. I used a permanent color by revlong called angel auburn, However it turned out a little darker than I would like. Any suggestions on how to lighten it a little without damage. Also has anyone used the garnier nutrisse color in apricot. It looks like what I really wanted, but don't want to be too orangy bright
icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted by wvpumpkin I am normally a strawberry blonde/light redhead. I used a permanent color by revlong called angel auburn, However it turned out a little darker than I would like. Any suggestions on how to lighten it a little without damage. Also has anyone used the garnier nutrisse color in apricot. It looks like what I really wanted, but don't want to be too orangy bright
icon_eek.gif
Basically you can wash your hair. Apply a deep conditioner to your hair placing hair into a shower cap. Leave conditioner on for 30 minutes, under a dryer if possible, if not leave a little longer. Rinse conditioner out and it should wash some of the color out. As you wash though your hair the color will get lighter especially reds which tends to fade faster. This way you are actually not doing any harm to your hair.
Try a strand test next time before coloring your hair so that you will know what it will look like. This way you get to see weather or not you the color. Also make sure that your hair is in good conditioner. If your ends tend to be porous, which they usually are, add color there the last 10-15 minutes of the total time that is required. This way color will be more even throughout b/c the porous ends grab the color very well.

Originally Posted by hawaiilatina Basically you can wash your hair. Apply a deep conditioner to your hair placing hair into a shower cap. Leave conditioner on for 30 minutes, under a dryer if possible, if not leave a little longer. Rinse conditioner out and it should wash some of the color out. As you wash though your hair the color will get lighter especially reds which tends to fade faster. This way you are actually not doing any harm to your hair.
Try a strand test next time before coloring your hair so that you will know what it will look like. This way you get to see weather or not you the color. Also make sure that your hair is in good conditioner. If your ends tend to be porous, which they usually are, add color there the last 10-15 minutes of the total time that is required. This way color will be more even throughout b/c the porous ends grab the color very well.

Great info Johna! Couldn't have said it better myself!
smile.gif
Yes, it will fade on its on in a week or two - you can also use Prell shampoo (orginal green formula - not the creamy kind) and it will help too. Color will oxidize on its own. If it's only a little darker, I wouldn't worry too much. I haven't tried the apricot color (I have med/dark brown hair) but I do like Nutrisse color for home use. I also like the 100% color - also by Garnier. Works really nice and the color holds longer than most home dyes. (You should do a strand test for this - because of that, and you want to be sure you like it) but the Garnier products seem to be true to color shades - so it's a lot easier to get the right color.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by hawaiilatina Basically you can wash your hair. Apply a deep conditioner to your hair placing hair into a shower cap. Leave conditioner on for 30 minutes, under a dryer if possible, if not leave a little longer. Rinse conditioner out and it should wash some of the color out. As you wash though your hair the color will get lighter especially reds which tends to fade faster. This way you are actually not doing any harm to your hair.

Jonna, thank so much this is very helpful
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Great info Johna! Couldn't have said it better myself!
smile.gif
Yes, it will fade on its on in a week or two - you can also use Prell shampoo (orginal green formula - not the creamy kind) and it will help too. Color will oxidize on its own. If it's only a little darker, I wouldn't worry too much. I haven't tried the apricot color (I have med/dark brown hair) but I do like Nutrisse color for home use. I also like the 100% color - also by Garnier. Works really nice and the color holds longer than most home dyes. (You should do a strand test for this - because of that, and you want to be sure you like it) but the Garnier products seem to be true to color shades - so it's a lot easier to get the right color.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Nyangel 99, thanks for the help about the garnier products. I will do a strand test first. How long do you have to wait to color your hair after you realize you don't like the first color you chose
icon_question.gif

Quote:
Nyangel 99, thanks for the help about the garnier products. I will do a strand test first. How long do you have to wait to color your hair after you realize you don't like the first color you chose
icon_question.gif
Normally one-two weeks, but it depends on how healthy your hair is. But by then your color will have sure faded. It is best to do a strand test before every color, no matter how long you wait between each color.

Originally Posted by SmartStyle437 Normally one-two weeks, but it depends on how healthy your hair is. But by then your color will have sure faded. It is best to do a strand test before every color, no matter how long you wait between each color. Yup! Agree w/ Smartstyle... ( nice to see you back BTW!
smile.gif
) Anything sooner than this is just askin' for damage!
icon_wink.gif

Latest posts

Back