Handy Beauty Q & A's

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Subject:Career as Make-up artist

Question

Hi Danielle,

I was wondering if you could give me some direction and advice on becoming a make-up artist. Which schools you might recommend, what career options are available, etc.

I currently do make-up for people as a hobby but would love to make it my full-time occupation.

Maria

Answer

hey Maria,

I would reccommened that you go on this web-site

www.makeupartistnetwork.com. It gives you information on schools in your area. I work in a makeup store in my area called Makeovers and I do peoples makeup for like weddings or special occasions. I really like my job. There are so many options for makeup artists, choose the one you like best. When your doing someones makeup, just pretend like your painting a picture. Use lots of colors. I wish the best of luck to you!

Danielle

------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject:AGE LINES

Question

I AM NOW 48 YEARS OLD, AND IM NOTICING FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT IM GETTING AGE LINES AROUND MY EYES AND ID LIKE TO KNOW IF IM SUPPOSE TO BE APPLYING MAKEUP UNDER MY EYES? WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO APPLY FACE MAKEUP FOR A WOMAN OVER THE AGE OF 45? BY THE WAY, I USE MANY DIFFERENT BRANDS OF MAKEUP. MOSTLY THE EXPENSIVE TYPES.

Answer

Yes, you can apply makeup around your eyes to make the lines less noticeable. Try a concealer. Or you can buy anti age liquid to put around your eyes. Stuff like that is always on the makeup shows on QVC. For a woman over 45, more makeup will make you look older so use makeup sparingly. It doesnt matter if your 10 or 100, everyone applys face powder the same. Apply it in a downward motion. Its very simple. Expensive makeup doesnt mean its going to look good on you but most of the time it does. I use Victorias Secret Bronzing Powder. It works great. Its about 17$. Victorias Secret makeup works great and its not too expensive not to cheap. Try that! Good luck

Danielle

<!--/gc-->-------------------------------------------------------------

Subject:Department store Vs. Drugstore Cosmetics

Question

Hi:

I am wondering if there is a huge difference between the high end cosmetics and the drugstore cosmetics? Are brands such as Revelon, Maybelline dervived from the same ingredents as Nars, Bobbie Brown and other high end cosmetics? Are we just paying for the brand name?

Kellie

Answer

Hi Kellie!

While it is true that many high end and drugstore brands are owned by the same company (for example, L'Oreal owns Lancome) this does not mean that all products are the same. I believe that you can find high quality cosmetics in the drugstore, but I also think some products are worth spending more on, like foundations, eyeshadows and blushes.

Yes, many products are derived from the same ingredients. However, the biggest difference I see is in pigmentation of the product, meaning how potent the color is. Drugstore eyeshadows tend to have less pigment than their department store counterparts, and thus have less staying powder and may apply more sheerly. Another big difference is color range, specifically with foundations. I have tan yellow-based skin and I find it difficult to get a good color match with drugstore foundations. High end lines such as Prescriptives offer a much larger selection.

Two items that I personally never buy in the deparment store are mascara and nailpolish. In my opinion, mascara is the one thing that is NOT worth a lot of money on, unless of course you have found a department store mascara THAT WORKS FOR YOU. My philosophy is to try new and different things, regardless of whether is it high end or department store, and stick with what works for you. My personal "holy grails" span across all brands and prices.

Lisa

----------------------------------------------------------

Subject:Undereye circles

Question

I have a real problem with my undereye circles. They have always been there no matter what. They are bluish/blackish and my skin is light olive. How can I get rid of them?

Answer

Hi Genevieve!

Unfortunately undereye circles are hereditary so there is not much that can be done to erase them. You may want to try a under-eye cream such as Almay Kinetin Brightening and Firming Eye Cream that may help to reduce the pigmentation.

I would suggest using a very good concealer. Look for one that is either yellow-toned or on the yellow side to counteract the bluish tone. Check out Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat or L'Oreal Airwear Brightener.

--------------------------------------------------------

Subject:Tanning Booths

Question

Hi Susan! I have very light skin and was wondering if you could tell me the benefits and dangers of tanning booths. Also, how long should I tan for the first couple of times without burning too much? Thank you so much!

Answer

Good question. Do you normally burn in the sun? Have you ever had a tan before at all? If the answer is yes to both (which I am assuming), you should start out with less than half of a full session when you first start tanning. All tanning beds and booths are rated for the maximum time they allow, This is decided by the strength and number of the bulbs used in the device. So all tanning sessions are not the same amount of time. The average is 20 minutes.

I would recommend starting with 7 minutes your first time if the bed is a 20 minute bed. Gradually increase your exposure time with each tanning session. Avoid burning at all costs.

You do not want to burn. Burning is far more dangerous and damaging than tanning is.

A lot of people tell me, "First I burn and then I tan. That's how I have been all my life." Well if that's true, they have been doing it wrong their whole life...lol. Burning is counter-productive to the tanning process. Burned skin is damaged skin and it will just flake and peel off (so will the color). The best tans are achieved gradually, increasing exposure times as color begins to show.

The risks of tanning is premature wrinkling and skin cancer. As I said before, burning is more damaging than tanning. Tanning is actually natures protection against sunburn. It's a natural body function. The key is to tan in moderation and not over-do it. I do not recommend tanning more than 3-4 times a week when working on a base tan, taking a day off between sessions. After you have a base tan, 2 sessions a week should be enough to maintain it. Just make sure your skin is moisturized. Moisturized skin tans much better than dry skin. It also helps maintain the tan longer.

The benefits of tanning are A: it helps prevent the skin from sunburning (The really harmful result of over-exposure), B: It provides Vitamin D, a vitamin we usually only get from the sun and supplements, C: It has been found to help aid in depression and D: You just look better
smile.gif
There are other things that tanning does as well, but the FDA prevents me from mentioning them because the findings are inconclusive.

Hi, I was given a fantastic tip by GRE8FISH about how to disguise undereye circles/darkness. She advised me to use a yellow toned concealor as this will hide the darkness. I had been spending a fortune on concealors,epspecially the light reflecting one's which just seemed to highlight the problem including Touch Eclat and Clinique Air brush and MANY others. However since i gave up the horrible act of smoking i found that the darkness dissapeared. However if i have had a late night i always remeber that tip and have found IT WORKS. Try it and you will see what i mean! Also have a look at the facial massage techniques which i am sure you will find useful. I also had a bad sinus infection which made the darkness worse and since treating it and draining the sinus points i am happy to say i only need the concelaor once in a while. Believe me i used to post a lot of posts about concelaors and to be honest the only answer that ever helped me was the one from GRE8FICSH, and i always keep a yellow toned concealor in my make up bag and now consider the problem solved. Also drink lots of water, don't smoke and excersie. Try the massage technique and let us know how you get on. Good Luck.

If you have a horrible big red spot on your face and you are supposed to be going out and want to look your best. Try using some Eye Drops and apply it to your spot, you will notice that the eye drops will take down the redness and swelling for a few hours. This works by shrinking it temporarily.

gr8.gif
'nuff said!

Originally Posted by candy Hi,I was given a fantastic tip by GRE8FISH about how to disguise undereye circles/darkness. She advised me to use a yellow toned concealor as this will hide the darkness. I had been spending a fortune on concealors,epspecially the light reflecting one's which just seemed to highlight the problem including Touch Eclat and Clinique Air brush and MANY others.

However since i gave up the horrible act of smoking i found that the darkness dissapeared. However if i have had a late night i always remeber that tip and have found IT WORKS. Try it and you will see what i mean! Also have a look at the facial massage techniques which i am sure you will find useful. I also had a bad sinus infection which made the darkness worse and since treating it and draining the sinus points i am happy to say i only need the concelaor once in a while.

Believe me i used to post a lot of posts about concelaors and to be honest the only answer that ever helped me was the one from GRE8FICSH, and i always keep a yellow toned concealor in my make up bag and now consider the problem solved.

Also drink lots of water, don't smoke and excersie. Try the massage technique and let us know how you get on. Good Luck.

Thanks Candy! I've tried this and it works!! Right on.

It goes from this to this ... so that you can do this:

Originally Posted by candy If you have a horrible big red spot on your face and you are supposed to be going out and want to look your best. Try using some Eye Drops and apply it to your spot, you will notice that the eye drops will take down the redness and swelling for a few hours. This works by shrinking it temporarily.

Latest posts

Back