Quantcast

Happy Sheep? Sheep with moods?

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
1
You've got to read this to believe it. LOL! I do believe that animals have feelings.
Cali

Article taken from bbcnews.com<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Sheep like smiles say researchers

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
The researchers found sheep prefer smiling faces

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->Sheep can recognise emotions in facial expression, not only in their species but also in humans, researchers say.

Researchers at Cambridge University have discovered sheep prefer smiling or relaxed human faces, over angry or stressed ones.

Neuroscientist Dr Keith Kendrick and his team believe the findings may offer insights into some human conditions.

Three years ago, the team found sheep could recognise 50 individual sheep faces and remember them for two years.

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5>
</TD><TD class=sibtbg>
This does open up the possibility that they have much richer emotional lives than we would give them credit for


Dr Keith Kendrick

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->"Sheep are able to recognise faces that differ by less than 5% so we thought perhaps they could recognise emotions which are much more subtle," Dr Kendrick said.

"It turns out they can, both human, smiling versus angry; and sheep, stressed versus calm."

Scientists presented the sheep with two doors they could push open to gain food. On one would be a picture of a smiling human or a happy sheep, on the other an angry human or a stressed out sheep.

"They vastly preferred to press the smiling human or the animal that has just had a meal and is feeling all right with life," said Dr Kendrick.

Psychiatric conditions

Dr Kendrick and his researchers at the university's Babraham Institute believe their finding may offer valuable insights into autism, schizophrenia and a rare disorder called prosopagnosis which leaves the sufferer unable to recognise faces.

But the research also has wide reaching implications for animal welfare. Dr Kendrick said: "This does open up the possibility that they have much richer emotional lives than we would give them credit for. "If sheep, which in terms of domestic animals tend to be right down the bottom of the league table for intelligence, can do this then the likelihood is that other species can too."

URL OF ARTICLE<!-- E BO -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

 
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Californian You've got to read this to believe it. LOL! I do believe that animals have feelings.
Cali


Article taken from bbcnews.com<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Sheep like smiles say researchers

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
The researchers found sheep prefer smiling faces

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->Sheep can recognise emotions in facial expression, not only in their species but also in humans, researchers say.

Researchers at Cambridge University have discovered sheep prefer smiling or relaxed human faces, over angry or stressed ones.

Neuroscientist Dr Keith Kendrick and his team believe the findings may offer insights into some human conditions.

Three years ago, the team found sheep could recognise 50 individual sheep faces and remember them for two years.

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5>
</TD><TD class=sibtbg>
This does open up the possibility that they have much richer emotional lives than we would give them credit for


Dr Keith Kendrick

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->"Sheep are able to recognise faces that differ by less than 5% so we thought perhaps they could recognise emotions which are much more subtle," Dr Kendrick said.

"It turns out they can, both human, smiling versus angry; and sheep, stressed versus calm."

Scientists presented the sheep with two doors they could push open to gain food. On one would be a picture of a smiling human or a happy sheep, on the other an angry human or a stressed out sheep.

"They vastly preferred to press the smiling human or the animal that has just had a meal and is feeling all right with life," said Dr Kendrick.

Psychiatric conditions

Dr Kendrick and his researchers at the university's Babraham Institute believe their finding may offer valuable insights into autism, schizophrenia and a rare disorder called prosopagnosis which leaves the sufferer unable to recognise faces.

But the research also has wide reaching implications for animal welfare. Dr Kendrick said: "This does open up the possibility that they have much richer emotional lives than we would give them credit for. "If sheep, which in terms of domestic animals tend to be right down the bottom of the league table for intelligence, can do this then the likelihood is that other species can too."

URL OF ARTICLE<!-- E BO -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I've always believed that animals have feelings but this doesn't mean I'm gonna pass up a big steak
 
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
1
... LOL Allison! I have to say that while we are on the topic of meat, I absolutely hate lamb. I can't understand why anyone likes it. It stinks so bad and it makes me literally gag. I can't eat it. IT's so wrong tasting ... I just don't get it.

Also, I can't eat any meat that says "baby" on it like "baby back ribs" lol... it's too gross to fathom! I wonder if I am just wierd of if there are many others like me who are just not that crazy about meat. OMG- ! This is a NO NO! LOL

I like chicken and turkey just fine. But none of the other meats can wet my appetite. My mom said that I would not eat meat from the get go. If I were a cave girl, I'd be flat out dead by age 2!

 
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Californian ... LOL Allison! I have to say that while we are on the topic of meat, I absolutely hate lamb. I can't understand why anyone likes it. It stinks so bad and it makes me literally gag. I can't eat it. IT's so wrong tasting ... I just don't get it.
Also, I can't eat any meat that says "baby" on it like "baby back ribs" lol... it's too gross to fathom! I wonder if I am just wierd of if there are many others like me who are just not that crazy about meat. OMG- ! This is a NO NO! LOL

I like chicken and turkey just fine. But none of the other meats can wet my appetite. My mom said that I would not eat meat from the get go. If I were a cave girl, I'd be flat out dead by age 2!

While I'll agree with you on the baby thing(that freaks me out too..Baby veal,baby back ribs etc.) I was brought up on roast lamb w/tons of garlic(Serbs&Greeks eat tons of lamb)I think it tastes fabulous though you couldn't get me to touch mutton or goat..They both taste the way a barnyard smells(if you can imagine that)I'm an adventerous eater..I try everything at least once..Even if it gags me(let's keep it clean folks
)At least I can say I tried it..I've eaten some pretty weird stuff.
 

Latest posts

Top