help with candles

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am challenged when it comes to burning candles. i can handle tarts, votives and tapers, but when i try to burn jars and pillars, i mangle them and they dont burn right. theyre not in a draft or anything like that.

i know now that it really does matter how long you burn them, so i try for at least 6 hours the first time and at least 3 every other time. i have a huge problem with tunneling. even short jar candles tunnel and waste so much wax. i just got to the bottom of a short jar and the wick ran out while there was a ton of unmelted wax around the edges. i scraped it out and put it into my tart burner.

i cant tell you how many times ive had to take a hot knife to a pillar to cut off the excess.

what gives?

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse i am challenged when it comes to burning candles. i can handle tarts, votives and tapers, but when i try to burn jars and pillars, i mangle them and they dont burn right. theyre not in a draft or anything like that.
i know now that it really does matter how long you burn them, so i try for at least 6 hours the first time and at least 3 every other time. i have a huge problem with tunneling. even short jar candles tunnel and waste so much wax. i just got to the bottom of a short jar and the wick ran out while there was a ton of unmelted wax around the edges. i scraped it out and put it into my tart burner.

i cant tell you how many times ive had to take a hot knife to a pillar to cut off the excess.

what gives?

When I've bought jar candles from different places, some would burn even, and others I'd get the 'tunnel' - a woman at a small store sold me a jar candle and said it's something either in the wax or the way it's made that does that. She just said that you have to make sure you have a 1/4" wick before you burn it... it sometimes helps. But if the candle is a "cheap" candle (as she says) it might tunnel regardless. Which actually seems true, b/c the ones I got from her didn't do it, and they claim b/c they use better waxes, they will not tunnel. Usually while the candle is still burning, I'll push the wax from the sides down so that it melts from the flame, and eventually sort of evens out. I do it while it's burning b/c the wax is really soft and pliable, and you can smoosh it down to the bottom.
icon_wink.gif

ok. makes sense. i do the smoosh down every so often, but i wondered if i wasnt supposed to need to do it at all. this short jar that just tunneled itself into burning out was an expensive candle, so i dont know whats up with that. i just dont want to be crazy knife lady trimming her candles all the time.

Originally Posted by Haloinrverse ok. makes sense. i do the smoosh down every so often, but i wondered if i wasnt supposed to need to do it at all. this short jar that just tunneled itself into burning out was an expensive candle, so i dont know whats up with that. i just dont want to be crazy knife lady trimming her candles all the time. wow i never knew there was so much to candles,thats why i love mut,i always find something new i didnt know.great post
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by charms23 Same here - I thought there were only two things to candles: light it up, then enoy. Right on,lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Yeah I've only recently gotten into candles, but I don't know the intracies I guess! I just burn them too and even that's a fiasco, I always burn my fingers trying to get it lit!

I have been to many Partylite candle parties and one of the things that they recommend that you do for pillars so that they evenly burn and you don't waste the candle, is that you hug it. Sound funny, huh? Here is a site that is dedicated on hugging candles.

Hope this helps!

After spending hundreds of dollars on Partylite candles, I am was glad to learn something.

thank you so much for that link, marisol. i do the "hugging" thing. i wasnt sure if i was even supposed to have to, or if i wasnt burning the candle properly.

Originally Posted by Marisol After spending hundreds of dollars on Partylite candles, I am was glad to learn something. Awesome link Marisol,What scented candle do you think is best for a super stressed person?
icon_question.gif

There's actually a term for that!? Wow.. who knew! LOL I do this with my jar candles that tunnel. I take a knife and put it between the wax and the glass and 'hug' it.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Isnt it crazy Janelle? There is an actual term and and a website. I learned it at the Partylite candles. I really thought that they were crazy but it actually works.

As for a scent that helps when you are stressed, it all depends what relaxes you. I burn a vanilla or a lavender scented candle. Those seem to help my mood. I don't know if you have an Illuminations near you but they have the best candles. I recommend that you look at their aroma therapy candles. They are awesome! You shold try their Aromatherapy Gift set.

And don't forget to show your candles some love!:icon_love

Latest posts

Back