• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

hi all! im new. a few Qs: r/o

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
im having trouble navigating, so the answers may be glaringly obvious. will someone please explain the process of swapping? is it pretty much the same as on mua? (make up alley) also, what are the rules? do i send first since im a newbie? does feedback from other sites add to my credibility? how do i view the feedback of other members? is there a notepad type section where i can list my preferences, or am i limited to the fields in the profile? (nevermind, i figured it out!) im just generally lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks, halo

Hey Haloin!!

First of all WELCOME to MakeupTalk!!!!! I'm Tony from the backend programming department here. No worries on asking around. Ask whatever you want, whenever you want. We love everyone here. Hopefully you find your away around. Yes we are different than MuA, but you will find MUCH more usability and functionality here at MakeupTalk starting with the reviews to the forums, and onto the Swap Center. Now, we are relatively new so you won't find 322,942 swaps going on, but soon enough there will be alot.​
What I'll do is going to let some of the PROS (mainly AllisonG) answer your questions on swapping. But I might be able to lend a helping hand with some: Click Here to see the MakeupTalk Swap Terms.

Ally let's see what she needs!

Originally Posted by haloinrverse

im having trouble navigating, so the answers may be glaringly obvious.
will someone please explain the process of swapping? is it pretty much the same as on mua? (make up alley)

also, what are the rules? do i send first since im a newbie? does feedback from other sites add to my credibility?

how do i view the feedback of other members?

is there a notepad type section where i can list my preferences, or am i limited to the fields in the profile? (nevermind, i figured it out!)

im just generally lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

halo

OH I forgot to add this HELP page here Its for the reviews and swaps

im having trouble navigating, so the answers may be glaringly obvious. will someone please explain the process of swapping? is it pretty much the same as on mua? (make up alley) also, what are the rules? do i send first since im a newbie? does feedback from other sites add to my credibility? how do i view the feedback of other members? is there a notepad type section where i can list my preferences, or am i limited to the fields in the profile? (nevermind, i figured it out!) im just generally lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks, halo

hi tony,

awesome, thanks so much for responding. its great to see mods who are there when you need them!
smile.gif
im still trying to figure out the posting system, so im not sure that this will go to the right place.

some more Qs:

im having a problem with the editor. i have my html typed out in a notepad file. when i try to paste it into the editor and save, the entire window freezes on me and i have to close out of it. any advice there?

how do i check out the swap center rating/feedback system for other mombers?

since i am new, am i expected to send first until i have a certain amount of feedback?

thank you!

halo

Your welcome! glad to have you here! (although I don't do makeup, only power tools and stuff LOL). Your posts are doing fine. Just a new way of doing things on a Beauty Board!
icon_smile.gif

On the Editor. Are you trying to use the regular Editor here or your Swap Editor here? Private message me here your HTML code (make sure you turn HTML off) so I can read it.

Check out members by going here, this will set you up in the NEWEST SWAPS avail and you can scroll from there. Click on the swap items there. You will see inside each swap there is a user rating system

Also try clicking on the users themselves for some more details.

And no, you don't have to send first before getting a certain number of feedback

Hope this all helps! LMK

hi tony,awesome, thanks so much for responding. its great to see mods who are there when you need them!
smile.gif
im still trying to figure out the posting system, so im not sure that this will go to the right place.

some more Qs:

im having a problem with the editor. i have my html typed out in a notepad file. when i try to paste it into the editor and save, the entire window freezes on me and i have to close out of it. any advice there?

how do i check out the swap center rating/feedback system for other mombers?

since i am new, am i expected to send first until i have a certain amount of feedback?

thank you!

halo

Hiya, i was just about to post all that info but looks like Tony got here before me! Welcome to MuT, you'll LOVE it here
smile.gif

laura - thanks! glad to be here.
smile.gif

tony - im about to PM you w/ my HTML. i go to the html mode, clear out whats in it, paste in my code, view it in the editor mode, then hit save. it freezes.
frown.gif

how do i turn off the email notification of new replies in a thread? i find it useful now, because im not getting many, but i dont want to clog my own inbox with replies to a busy thread, you know?

also, if people with less feedback dont send first, how can we make sure that people wont swaplift us? i know that DC is mandatory, but i suppose if someone wanted to be sneaky, she (he? do we have any guys?) could manipulate that somehow or "lose" her DC slip, etc. DC is proof that it was mailed, but it sadly doesnt prove that it wasnt scanned at the receiving partys PO instead of immediately before delivery, or that the neighbor didnt swipe it........is swaplifting a problem?

i really hesitate to ask this because its an unsavory topic, but do we have trolls?

Halo,

I was fooling with it, but didnt get to too much. I did see that it was freezing, but after 30 seconds or so, my unfroze and repeated your HTML over and over all the way down the page like 100 scrolls. We had this issue before with one user. Can I ask, where are you getting the HTML from ? The last user we had this issue with was getting her HTML from MuA. We found out that MuA notpad came up with some funky shi!t for HTML.
icon_cool.gif

Let me know but I accidentally deleted my PM of yours too.

On the swaplifting thingy. Let let AlisonG get involved with this. She is out of town for sometime as her dad has some medical issues. She can tell you more about the swaplifting thingy. I'll copy her on this post.

laura - thanks! glad to be here.
smile.gif

tony - im about to PM you w/ my HTML. i go to the html mode, clear out whats in it, paste in my code, view it in the editor mode, then hit save. it freezes.
frown.gif

how do i turn off the email notification of new replies in a thread? i find it useful now, because im not getting many, but i dont want to clog my own inbox with replies to a busy thread, you know?

also, if people with less feedback dont send first, how can we make sure that people wont swaplift us? i know that DC is mandatory, but i suppose if someone wanted to be sneaky, she (he? do we have any guys?) could manipulate that somehow or "lose" her DC slip, etc. DC is proof that it was mailed, but it sadly doesnt prove that it wasnt scanned at the receiving partys PO instead of immediately before delivery, or that the neighbor didnt swipe it........is swaplifting a problem?

i really hesitate to ask this because its an unsavory topic, but do we have trolls?

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Halo,
I was fooling with it, but didnt get to too much. I did see that it was freezing, but after 30 seconds or so, my unfroze and repeated your HTML over and over all the way down the page like 100 scrolls. We had this issue before with one user. Can I ask, where are you getting the HTML from ? The last user we had this issue with was getting her HTML from MuA. We found out that MuA notpad came up with some funky shi!t for HTML.
icon_cool.gif

Let me know but I accidentally deleted my PM of yours too.

On the swaplifting thingy. Let let AlisonG get involved with this. She is out of town for sometime as her dad has some medical issues. She can tell you more about the swaplifting thingy. I'll copy her on this post.

TinyD is also a very good person to ask about this.
smile.gif
Cali

Originally Posted by haloinrverse im having trouble navigating, so the answers may be glaringly obvious.
will someone please explain the process of swapping? is it pretty much the same as on mua? (make up alley)

also, what are the rules? do i send first since im a newbie? does feedback from other sites add to my credibility?

how do i view the feedback of other members?

is there a notepad type section where i can list my preferences, or am i limited to the fields in the profile? (nevermind, i figured it out!)

im just generally lost, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

halo

Hey Halo..Sorry I'm a bit tardy with my response..Welcome to MuT..I'll try too answer all your questions regarding the swap process here..First off,It IS close to what goes on at MUA..You initiate the swap process just as you would there..Works out all the details prior to exchanging addresses and then both parties ship according to their arrangements..We have made delivery confirmation a priority not because there is swaplifting here but to help in curtailing possible swaplifters..It's true,Delivery confirmation is not 100% effective but I find that it keeps everyone a little more honest..That way you don't get the lame excuses.I've yet to have a package not arrive w/ DC but some how without it,they mysteriously go missing..Our swapping area here is very new so everyone here in essense is a newbie.So you won't have to send first..feedback from other sites can be considered(a good idea since we don't really know each other)But only to establish reliability.We also don't currently have any trolls**knock on wood**But if we did they'd last about 1 post as this is a heavily moderated site..Let me know if I've left anything out you need to know
biggrin.gif

I agree with Ali on the feedback from other sites thing. I have done over 50 swaps on another make up site (MUA) and all the tokens are positive, if somebody was "iffy" about swapping with me, i'd definetly make sure they knew these were my tokens..

I have yet to do a swap on this site yet, so if you see anything on my list Halo, don't hesitate to contact me coz i'd love to start off swapping ASAP!!
smile.gif

hi tony,

i hand coded that html. im still learning, and i need the practice.
smile.gif
i wrote it in a notepad file, and i pasted it into both MUA and MUT. the MUT version is an abridged version because some stuff doesnt apply here. i dont use the MUA notepad editor because its hard to use, and like you said, it inserts so much extra stuff thats just confusing and unnecessary. theres an option to type in your own codes, and i use that.

im going to try pasting it in little by little, and hopefuly that will work! if not, i guess i can rewrite it manually. its not very long.
smile.gif

hi ladies,

thanks so much!
smile.gif
i just want to say again how much i appreciate the quick responses, and its really good to know that everyone here is so friendly and really cares! im also glad to know that ::::whispers:::: trolls are not a possibility. its almost too good to be true. lol.

im working on getting my swap and wishlists up. as soon as im all set, ill start checking out some potential swaps. yay!
smile.gif

Let me know when you code it peice by peice to see how ti goes!

hi tony,i hand coded that html. im still learning, and i need the practice.
smile.gif
i wrote it in a notepad file, and i pasted it into both MUA and MUT. the MUT version is an abridged version because some stuff doesnt apply here. i dont use the MUA notepad editor because its hard to use, and like you said, it inserts so much extra stuff thats just confusing and unnecessary. theres an option to type in your own codes, and i use that.

im going to try pasting it in little by little, and hopefuly that will work! if not, i guess i can rewrite it manually. its not very long.
smile.gif

Halo!!! You figured it out!! I can tell, we have a smart one here! That is one thing that all of the users/moderators/admins pride themselves on is the Friendliness!!! Occasionally we have some trolls, but our moderators have the POWER to ZAP 'em

Cool on the Swaps!! We're happy to provide MuT to everyone!

hi ladies,thanks so much!
smile.gif
i just want to say again how much i appreciate the quick responses, and its really good to know that everyone here is so friendly and really cares! im also glad to know that ::::whispers:::: trolls are not a possibility. its almost too good to be true. lol.

im working on getting my swap and wishlists up. as soon as im all set, ill start checking out some potential swaps. yay!
smile.gif

yes! i finally figured the notepad out. i used a new and never seen before bastardized combination of html and the editor. lol. there was plenty of cursing, i assure you. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> you dont mind if i accidentally refer to you as one of the ladies, do you? lol.

Originally Posted by haloinrverse yes! i finally figured the notepad out. i used a new and never seen before bastardized combination of html and the editor. lol. there was plenty of cursing, i assure you. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> you dont mind if i accidentally refer to you as one of the ladies, do you? lol. HAhsahahahaha. Funny post.

Sure, refer to me to whatever you want!
icon_cool.gif
ANY OF YOU! YOu can even refer to me as Dr. Laura
icon_cheesygrin.gif

yes! i finally figured the notepad out. i used a new and never seen before bastardized combination of html and the editor. lol. there was plenty of cursing, i assure you. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> you dont mind if i accidentally refer to you as one of the ladies, do you? lol.

Originally Posted by haloinrverse yes! i finally figured the notepad out. i used a new and never seen before bastardized combination of html and the editor. lol. there was plenty of cursing, i assure you. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> you dont mind if i accidentally refer to you as one of the ladies, do you? lol. Naww Tony doesn't mind..He's very in touch with his feminine side( in a manly way though..LOL
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Sure, refer to me to whatever you want!
icon_cool.gif
ANY OF YOU! YOu can even refer to me as Dr. Laura
icon_cheesygrin.gif
LMAO, Dr Laura.. how you doing!!

Latest posts

Back