Home Schooling

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah! Thanks. It took a little tweakin!

Originally Posted by Naturally

Tony .."Isn't this type of ad viewing technology cool???" I LOVE IT! I've gone to MANY of the links that come up ...I love it I love it ..I LOVE IT!

Good luck, Kim! I am sure that all of you will be just fine. I know exactly what you're talking about when you mention the school politics. I've thought about homeschooling myself due to this many times. There are an unbelievable amount of websites on the internet regarding homeschooling - information and support. I'd check with Barnes & Noble to see if they have any homeschooling support groups. Maybe start one of your own! It sounds as though you are more than ready, so relax!

ps. I just noticed your signature. Merry Meet!
wink.gif

Blessed Be,

Kelly

(Indiana)

Kim, I don't know if you've checked it out already, but take a look at Calvert School. I've read alot of good reviews about the curriculum they offer. Also, a good site to purchase books is homeschoolstockroom.com

I was looking into books to purchase for my son and I found most of the sites were Bible based and that's not what I want at all, but these sites had full packages you could buy for homeschooling students at any age with helpful teaching plans.

I'm sorry but I just have to say...

snickersnortgigglelaugh

and p.s. on a more serious note...

I've run into the same thing, that most homeschooling programs are Christian based, which is unfortunate. I have found websites that deal strictly with schooling and not religion, though so that's a good thing. I stand by what I said before though, I think you are going to do just great and things will fall into place once it's time. Two places that my daughter's teacher gave me addresses for are:

www.eduplace.com and www.houghton-mufflin.com. Good luck, although you probably won't need it!
smile.gif

nah, i think that SF is cold actually most of the time....

I would saw LA deffo hotter

Originally Posted by Naturally

Cool ..thanks for the 2 links Rowantree ...I'll save them and take a look at them later. I have found some good sites (they are bookmarked at home) ..with some that even have print outs we can use - FREE! We definitely want strictly schooling ..no extras (they'll get my version later when I get home)
Funny ..Hubby got to talk with a retired bus driver last week ..he used to be a driver for the school the kids are in now ..he said that what we were doing was the BEST thing we could be doing. He said it's only going to get worse in that school later. From the sounds of the political issues brewing ..I'd imagine some of the teachers will start to walk ..find jobs elsewhere ..getting to be a VERY HOT BED!

Oh ...on another note...Here's a question that my daughter answered (and was told she was WRONG):

Which city has the hotter climate? San Francisco, Denver, Louisiana

She chose Louisana but was told San Francisco was hotter! Anya ..aren't you from San Fran? ...what do you think? LOL

Kim,boy do i wish you luck!My son is just 3 and i am already worring about school.I actually brought up the whole home schooling thing to him but he feels like they wont get to learn proper socilizing skills,It definitly would be interesting to speak to someone who has done home schooling.

I love MUT posts like this,it gets the wheels in my head turning for sure.
icon_smile.gif

I think i will do some reserching on this topic,thanks for sharing.

Kim,Iknow what you mean about little hoodlums
icon_twisted.gif

I am worried about my kids picking up other kids nasty habits,My husband and I took the kids to the park and there were some moms sitting together while their kids were playing.Well the kids were older and a bit ruff for my two and three year old.So my husband and i went to the toddler section for them to play.All of the older kids came over and started being so obnoxious,one kid had the nerve to tell us that he was there to ruin the babies fun(little jerk that he was)

Thats what i hate to think about ,little punks treating my kids like that,when they are so innocent.

Hey Kim...I just bought the kindergarten curriculum from the Calvert school...from what I've heard they have the best for all grades. They send you a bunch of books and workbooks and activities and you can follow a schedule they can provide for you, but you don't have to. You should look into it if you haven't. It does cost a bit, but I've scoured the web and most people agree that Calvert's curriculum is the better way to homeschool. Check out calvertschool.org

I think you can purchase it without being enrolled in their program, I'm not sure. I had my man look into and buy it so I'm not sure if he actually signed up or just purchased.

Originally Posted by Naturally OMG ..and the parents of those ...PUNKS probably didn't care ..or weren't paying attention. I think I would have had to bite my tongue from saying something to those kids. My luck the authorities would be coming after me for verbal abuse!
That's sad when parents just don't care ..or turn their heads.

lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

The moms didn't say a thing, I told me husband let just leave before i get tempted to light the moms up.The park isn't a substitute for a parents lack of responsibility,

Hi Kim

I'm Jennifer and new to MUT however I have been a lurker for a couple of months and just felt the need to respond to this. I'm in CA and have 3 school age children. I am going to homeschool my son who is currently in the 4th grade ( 5th for next year). I have been getting more and more irritated every year with the school system. However, the homeschool program I am going with IS through the school district. They will send a CT out once a month or so. They have given me a copy of the state standards, I picked out the curriculum to match it. I did not follow the exact (except for math) that was on the list. However, I think they will be learning more and better. I have 3 friends that homeschool their kids, so I have alot of help instead of going into this "blind". My friends children are definitely advanced, and well socialized. I think part of the key is making sure they are involved in plenty of activities. I will homeschool my other two after I have had a year of schooling my son to ourselves. I am trying to build up his confidence in himself since going to school has really shot his self esteem to he**. I have not been a quiet bystander at the school with problems that he has had, it just has not done any good.

Homeschooling is becoming more accepted, I think alot of parents are just scared to do it. I have already had parents talk to me about it, saying that they are thinking about it too. I really think that it is not for everone, but as a parent you know what is best for your child. Good Luck to you ( and a little to myself too
icon_cheesygrin.gif
)

Jennifer

I homeschool my kids, I use abeka books (they are christian based) but I suggest if you want to choose a variety go to www.rainbowresource.com they have curriculums of all type.
smile.gif
Its amazing how much more they learn when they get "customized" shcooling and more attention.
smile.gif

Hi Jennifer, welcome to MuT
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by lovesboxers Hi Kim

I'm Jennifer and new to MUT however I have been a lurker for a couple of months and just felt the need to respond to this. I'm in CA and have 3 school age children. I am going to homeschool my son who is currently in the 4th grade ( 5th for next year). I have been getting more and more irritated every year with the school system. However, the homeschool program I am going with IS through the school district. They will send a CT out once a month or so. They have given me a copy of the state standards, I picked out the curriculum to match it. I did not follow the exact (except for math) that was on the list. However, I think they will be learning more and better. I have 3 friends that homeschool their kids, so I have alot of help instead of going into this "blind". My friends children are definitely advanced, and well socialized. I think part of the key is making sure they are involved in plenty of activities. I will homeschool my other two after I have had a year of schooling my son to ourselves. I am trying to build up his confidence in himself since going to school has really shot his self esteem to he**. I have not been a quiet bystander at the school with problems that he has had, it just has not done any good.

Homeschooling is becoming more accepted, I think alot of parents are just scared to do it. I have already had parents talk to me about it, saying that they are thinking about it too. I really think that it is not for everone, but as a parent you know what is best for your child. Good Luck to you ( and a little to myself too
icon_cheesygrin.gif
)

Jennifer

Kim, I know what you're going through when you have your child come home from school & they've been told they gave the wrong answer. The school has a system set in place where the answer is given to them & they don't question it (sounds suspiciously like a certain religion but there's separation of church and state, right?) LOL

My daughter is in 3rd grade & has had 4 teachers counting kindergarten. Out of those 4, only 2 let her question. In terms of education, I don't feel those odds are that great and I'm really not looking forward to the remaining years! I do take the attitude, though, that since a portion of my property taxes go to the school system, I am paying their salary. Therefore, I am very verbal at the school and don't let them bulldoze me along. 3rd grade and it's already been such a battle. Can you imagine what I'm in for when she reaches high school?
eek.gif

BB,

Kelly

lol, my brother had a high school biology teacher who was about as knowledgeable as your daughter's elementary teachers! My brother and a few other students were constantly correcting the teacher in class .... As an example, one day the teacher actually said that spiders are insects! (And any third grader can tell you that spiders aren't insects since they have 8 legs and only 2 body segments!) My brother raised his hand and tried to explain they weren't, and the teacher said, "Well that is an OPINION and if you want to discuss your OPINIONS, see me after class!" grrr ... Fortunately most of the teachers in our small high school were very good, and I do think we got a pretty good education overall for a public school system! But I guess everyone has to have one or two crazy teachers
wink.gif

BTW Lousiana definitely has a warmer climate than San Fransisco ... my aunt and uncle live in Oakland and they don't even have air conditioning because it is cool all summer due to the air coming off the Bay! They always think it's so hot when they come to the Midwest to see us!

So good luck with homeschooling ... I think as long as you can keep that socializing aspect as others have mentioned, your kids will probably get a much better education at home!
smile.gif

I am years behind (or ahead?!) on this thread...Is it still alive?

Either way, I was home schooled from birth till college. I have an abundance of information on this and if you are still curious, or anyone else, just let me know.

P.S. I enjoyed it. I never had ANY socializing problems. I did so many activities and got a lot done. It's all about balance.

I think it has been inactive for quite awhile, however I am homeschooling my 8th grader right now....too many problems this year at school....and it has been going great!!  She has been an honor student and has had no problems with switching to homeschooling (actually about 5-6 people she went to school with has switched to homeschool this year).  We plan on her going to high school.  There is alot there she should experience I think.  However, if things were not going well, she can do independent study.  Where we are located in CA there is homeschool academy for k-8 and independent study 9-12 that is actually part of the school district. She is the most social child EVER and we just keep her busy. She does a dance class offered by the homeschool and she is involved in soccer and church and loves to hang out with friends. 

This being said let me say I homeschooled my son for a couple of months about 5 years ago.......miserable.  He was not a self-motivator and easily distracted which meant I had to pretty much sit at the table with him for 6 hours a day. As soon as I got up he stopped :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />    So each child is different.

Hi Lovesboxers!

You are so right. Each child is completely different. Some kids work great in the homeschooled environment while others suffer (as do the parents.) I, too, was part of a homeschool academy. I started with our church and then we moved to EIE Academy. That's in CA too. 

I'm glad you are having a good time with your daughter. It sounds like it really is benefiting her. My parents gave me the choice to go to a highschool when I was of age, but I declined. I was already teaching dance and could fit in several more activities a day than if I were at school. 

My brother didn't fair well in home schooling either. Maybe it's a boy thing? They are so figity! 

I would love to home school my daughter but of course I get the she'll be socially awkward speech and how it's so important to go. The bit that hurts the most is when it's said that you're not qualified to teach. As if one must be an actual teacher in order to teach! It's insulting. I know if I did choose to home school, I would get tons of sh** talk from family, especially her grandparents. They'd probably go ape sh** on me. *eye roll* 

Johnnie, my mom didn't have any teaching degrees when she chose to homeschool me. She got a lot of talk from family too. At the end of the day, it's always up to you. Your the mom! Plus with books and computer work now there really isn't a subject that is hard to teach. I think you can do it!!! I wouldn't mind doing the same for my son, when he gets to that age, but I also need to make a living. It's tough! 

Personally, I think if you are always engaging the child in social experiences they won't become socially awkward! I did sports, dance, and lots of "after school" activities. I've never felt uncomfortable about social outings. But I do understand every child is different, so this doesn't work great for everyone.  

I just watched the documentary waiting for superman and was enraged at how we fail our children in this country. None the less I think that social interactions everyday are an essential part of school. I was lucky enough to go to private school as my mother noticed I wasn't living up to potential in grade 1... The work load is night and day and I excelled buy leaps and bounds... I definitely would not have been prepared for university otherwise and likely would have been a drop out teen mainly because I would have been bored to tears. 

There are schools called prep schools in each state that you have to get on a waiting list usually but the work load prepares kids from pre school on for university and no preferential treatment is given, I think this is key to learning as much as possible at a young age, and I know you care and want to do this at home but unfortunately I just don't see that result in even the best of home schooled kids, just my opinion but I thought I would put it out there.

Best of luck!! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back