How can I trim my bangs at home?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How can I trim my bangs at home?

<!-- End: contenthead -->by Deborah Grayson <!-- Begin: Related Links -->

How can I trim my bangs at home -- and not wind up with crooked bangs, too-short bangs or just bad bangs? I'm tired of paying so much money just to get my bangs trimmed. Help!

As a hairstylist, I usually don't recommend cutting your hair at home, but with a little patience and a few guidelines, you can trim your bangs nicely.

Make sure you have the proper tools before you start snipping. A pair of haircutting scissors is essential; you can pick up an inexpensive pair at your local beauty supply store. Kitchen scissors, while great for cutting paper, are not suited to trimming hair. The blades actually bend the hair as they cut, and your bangs will end up crooked.

Before you start trimming, your bangs should be dry and styled in your usual fashion. Wet hair is longer and masks your hair's natural texture -- if you're not careful, you may overcompensate and cut too much off. To begin cutting, hold your index and middle fingers horizontally and grasp the ends of your bangs between them. Cut off only a quarter-inch, which is about the length of the pointy part of a thumbtack. This should give bangs a blunt, clean finish.

If you prefer your bangs with a bit more texture and softness, follow the instructions as above, but twist small sections of your hair a few times (so it's like a rope) and snip into the ends. Don't panic if you make a mistake, but do avoid the temptation to correct it by further trimming. If it isn't too severe, leave it alone and wait until the next time you see your hairstylist. However, if you really did a number on them, put the scissors away and make an appointment -- fast. In the future, if you still feel inept with the scissors, your regular hairstylist should be able to trim your bangs for a free as a courtesy.

wow! Couldn't have put it better myself! Great topic Diane! Thanks for posting this!!!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I've cut my own fringe(bangs) twice now. I will never do it again. My hairdresser has said that she'll trim them for free but the problem is getting the time to go to the hairdressers. I just got really p****d off with my fringe one morning and hacked it with the scissors. I think I'm going to have a very sheepish face next time I go to the hairdressers.

Just wondering, is anyone else really scared of going to the hairdressers?
eek.gif
I'd rather go to the dentist to be honest.

Actually and unfortunately, I tried cutting my side bangs by myself about a week or so ago. I will never do it ever again. I did them pretty short, and being the idiot that I am, I didn't even use the correct scissors. And I chopped it off, and now I've been doing the same style ever since, and I will do it continusly(sp) until they grow back.

Originally Posted by Lealabell Just wondering, is anyone else really scared of going to the hairdressers?
eek.gif
I'd rather go to the dentist to be honest.

LOL Lea! We won't bite! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Maybe a few "oh... where did you get THAT done?" comments but you can always lie and blame it on another hairdresser! LOL

Originally Posted by Tears_Of_Blood Actually and unfortunately, I tried cutting my side bangs by myself about a week or so ago. I will never do it ever again. I did them pretty short, and being the idiot that I am, I didn't even use the correct scissors. And I chopped it off, and now I've been doing the same style ever since, and I will do it continusly(sp) until they grow back. Aww! They should grow back quick.. I can't even count the number of times I have given myself bangs out of boredom - only to hate them the next day & sick of them curling up when it got humid or rained... LOL But they always grew back fast - or at least to a length where you can just blend them in with the rest of your hair.
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Back