How do you store your nail polish collection?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only I were this put-together...

I recently moved...which is barely an excuse lol, but they are all thrown into a drawer  with a few that have been recently used/acquired just sitting on my dresser.

I'm LOVING that storage though! How lovely and practical. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I built this shelf a few weeks ago and I've got it hanging in my closet. It's like $5 worth of wood and I already had the screws and paint. The only problem is that I didn't count my polishes first and it's already full lol.

I actually used old cardboard boxes that our envelopes for work come in. They are free (I just have to wait until the envelopes are gone!!! Lol) and they are the perfect size, the polish bottles fit standing up and one box holds around 100 bottles, give or take. I have separate boxes for minis, full size bottles, nail art supplies, etc. It really works for me, there's room for expansion, and it's cheap.

My foam racks (4 total) have been up since the end of June/beginning of July and they are not holding up.  I don't know if it was my error in construction or the moving around of the bottles constantly to make room for new inventory or what but 5 of the shelves are completely useless already.  I need to figure out how to repair when it's on the wall already.  I think I might need a larger cordless glue gun but I am really to the point of just building a wooden one.  That or buying the acrylic ones but I need at least 5 and that's going to be expensive.  Now I have polish just strewn about and some in a mini Helmer type 2 drawer cabinet I got at the thrift store. 

I now have some of those plastic shoe boxes. Already filled one and a half and filled my carry along basket too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rubyblood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If I did that and my old man saw how much I had he would ban me from buying
Mine knew when we met I had about 250ish.  I show him some of my purchases but I don't think he does the math or wants to for that matter.  But I did encourage him the other day to buy a stash of comic books from Goodwill of over 2000 so his collection habits are as bad as mine and he says "whatever makes you happy honey".

I came up with a temporary solution for storing my mini's.  Previously they were in a drawer so I didn't see them.  I bought these containers at a garage sale 2 years ago and was using the little one to keep my bottle brush, handled scrubber and dish brush in at the sink.  I wanted something better for those so I had these 3 all empty again.  It's like my own little candy jar.  (I have one full of real candy on the other side of the desk).  I also picked up this spice rack at a thrift store and originally used it to display my most used polishes so I could have them close at hand but moved them to a basket and chose to put my indies on here.  The empty one is for the Hit Polish I ordered today.  I am going to have to find another one since I forgot I have one coming from Jindie nails that needs a home! 

In the small one is all Hit Polish, middle is China Glaze and Kleancolor and the big one is everything else.

These are sitting underneath the 4 foam nail racks on the wall.

I use an old wooden spice rackyou would hang on the wall that my mom had sent me. The funny thing is that it is standing in our guest bedroom and she looked a bit confused when she noticed it.

My brother-in-law made me a shelf, and my husband made me a second one once the first was full.

I have swatch sticks that are an odd shape, so I keep them in glasses on the window ledge, since they aren't the type that you can put on a ring.

Note: I have no idea why they uploaded sideways! And I don't know how to fix them.

I just bought an Ikea Helmer, it should arrive next week (the closest Ikea is two and a half hours away, S&H was expensive but probably about the same as gas money :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ). If you google it, it is very popular with nail polish bloggers. Once I put it together, I'm gonna use the opportunity to do an inventory with an excel spreadsheet. Lol, i have a problem. I'm also gonna store all of my samples in them, as well as my nail tools and a few other makeup items I don't use every day!
I'm heading to Chicago in 2 weeks and I'm going to stop at ikea to get one of these

Quote: Originally Posted by maeiland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here is my storage solution. You can find these all over ebay and amazon. I need another one because all of my nail polish doesn't fit on just one.

oooooo! Beautiful collection! I just dump all mine is a train case, which is also overflowing so I'll need a new organization soon.

I just bought a new acrylic rack with my ebates money.  That will bring me to 4 of them...I need at least 2 more 
icon_biggrin.gif

I finally broke down and went the Helmer Route.    I am now on my 3rd one so I am going to have to come up with a much larger cabinet.   I love the acrylic racks - unfortunately I am a book hoarder and have very few walls left to hang things.    I also have Demonically Possessed Jumping Cats who would be unable to resist finding ways to jump up to explore the lovely glass bottles.    

My Long Suffering Husband worked out the organizers.  I bought matte paper and used his matte cutter to create the organizers.  

I finally broke down and went the Helmer Route.    I am now on my 3rd one so I am going to have to come up with a much larger cabinet.   I love the acrylic racks - unfortunately I am a book hoarder and have very few walls left to hang things.    I also have Demonically Possessed Jumping Cats who would be unable to resist finding ways to jump up to explore the lovely glass bottles.     My Long Suffering Husband worked out the organizers.  I bought matte paper and used his matte cutter to create the organizers.  
I want a Helmer so badly. But I'm still afraid some bottles will be too tall (specifically the couple Wet n Wild Fergie colors I have. They are taller than Julep bottles). It would drive my OCD into hysteria if everything was all tucked away except for 3 or 4 bottles. Guess I should just take a bottle over to Ikea and check it out.

Quote: Originally Posted by acostakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want a Helmer so badly. But I'm still afraid some bottles will be too tall (specifically the couple Wet n Wild Fergie colors I have. They are taller than Julep bottles). It would drive my OCD into hysteria if everything was all tucked away except for 3 or 4 bottles. Guess I should just take a bottle over to Ikea and check it out.
The Julep bottles fit perfectly with room to spare.   The drawers are: 3" tall. 

Quote: Originally Posted by FrostKitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I finally broke down and went the Helmer Route.    I am now on my 3rd one so I am going to have to come up with a much larger cabinet.   I love the acrylic racks - unfortunately I am a book hoarder and have very few walls left to hang things.    I also have Demonically Possessed Jumping Cats who would be unable to resist finding ways to jump up to explore the lovely glass bottles.    

My Long Suffering Husband worked out the organizers.  I bought matte paper and used his matte cutter to create the organizers.  

How many does 1 Helmer hold? 

Latest posts

Back