How do you store your nail polish collection?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone own/use the Yazmo Professional Nail Art Case??  I was thinking of getting it, but wanted some feedback on it.  I checked online but found very little reviews (none really).

Thanks! I am so making this this week.  I needed a new craft project.  Now I just need something to store my tools any suggestions??

I love the look of the wall racks, but I live in California and I feel like it would be bad in an earthquake. Plus, I don't know that I have enough wall space for how many polishes I have, and I don't think my husband views them as decorative anyhow. I think what would end up being the most practical for me are the tabletop-stairstep-style spice racks to put on my closet shelves. This is exactly what I want, but I would need a lot of them:

Quote: Originally Posted by acostakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want a Helmer so badly. But I'm still afraid some bottles will be too tall (specifically the couple Wet n Wild Fergie colors I have. They are taller than Julep bottles). It would drive my OCD into hysteria if everything was all tucked away except for 3 or 4 bottles. Guess I should just take a bottle over to Ikea and check it out.

They fit, even with an anti-slip sheet in the bottom they fit in the Helmer with no problems at all. SOPI's are slightly taller than the Fergies and they also fit in the Helmer comfortably.

They fit, even with an anti-slip sheet in the bottom they fit in the Helmer with no problems at all. SOPI's are slightly taller than the Fergies and they also fit in the Helmer comfortably.
And now I know what I want for Christmas!

Look at this setup I saw come across my facebook wall.  It was custom made for Nicole at Nail Polish Wars.  It cost $1200.  I would die for something like this!

Wow! To see everything I would need one of those sliding ladders like Belle used in the library in Beauty and the Beast...haha

Quote: Originally Posted by naturalactions /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Wow! To see everything I would need one of those sliding ladders like Belle used in the library in Beauty and the Beast...haha
You just gave me the best idea EVER!

Quote:Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Look at this setup I saw come across my facebook wall.  It was custom made for Nicole at Nail Polish Wars.  It cost $1200.  I would die for something like this!

Wow, it's just a bunch of 2x4s. Why on earth did it cost $1200?

Quote: Originally Posted by feemia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, it's just a bunch of 2x4s. Why on earth did it cost $1200? I thought she said she could hold 1200 polishes.  Is that maybe where that number came in?  Although in my infinite search for polish storage I have seen racks cost that much.  They were usually stand alone.

No, it's $1200 and holds around 2000 bottles..  http://www.glwoodenthings.com/Nail-Polish-Storage-Unit-SU001.htm 
Huh. Pretty sure my dad could build that for less than $100, depending on the type of wood. Not that I'll ask him since we live in a rental in earthquake country. And all our wall space is covered in hubby's art. And husband and father would both flip if they actually saw the glory that that is my obsession....errr....collection

Since I am in the process of redoing my wall racks they look like this....

I bought a new larger glue gun to fix them temporarily.  The rack on the far right was put together hastily and was sitting by a light so the glue got soft and they fell down.  I have moved the lamp so no more of that.  Can't wait to fix it until I can afford what I want to do.  In the meantime I have the ones that belong up there in this...

This is a cardboard stand that my boyfriend bought home when he worked at the pet store.  We use them for kitty beds hence the blanket on the 3rd tier.  It's pretty deep and is holding quite a lot of them.  He wanted me to fill the whole thing and paint it.  I told him only if we can add some LED lights because it gets dark in the cubbies.  It's the same reason I moved them off my IKEA bookshelf in the first place.

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think hubby would put an end to my polish hoarding before I got anywhere near this big. He's already dubious and I have less than 200.

Boyfriend "helped" me by glue the shelves on my foam rack that were falling down. My hands are swollen and stiff and I can't squeeze the trigger.   Ever have someone do something for you that you asked but did it so badly you never, ever want to ask them for anything again??  Thank GOD I did not give him money to build me one out of wood.  I am so mortified.  I love him dearly but he's not handy whatsoever!  At least they are reinforced.

My newest way to organize my pretties. It's a Snapware ornament organizer. I've been eyeing them online for a while, but it's impossible to find interior dimensions. My last Snapware was sooooo close to being perfect, but was too shallow for my tallest bottles by a fraction of an inch. As soon as I saw a display of these I had to have it! And shall now stalk the after Christmas sales hoping to snag a second cause, you know, those empty spaces aren't going to last long!!
Bottles are organized by brand, swatch sticks by color:

Quote: Originally Posted by acostakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Huh. Pretty sure my dad could build that for less than $100, depending on the type of wood. Not that I'll ask him since we live in a rental in earthquake country. And all our wall space is covered in hubby's art. And husband and father would both flip if they actually saw the glory that that is my obsession....errr....collection

The more and more I look at the blog post the more I'm convinced that it is indeed worth as much as she said, in terms of materials and time. That much particle board alone would cost you more than $100. As actual wood was used, as evidenced by the gorgeous wood grain, the materials alone would have cost a bit. They could have saved on cost of materials if they were taking from their own woods, but then there's the labor involved in cutting and planing - and let's not forget the type of tools you would need to achieve all that. Each level is actually three-tiered. That's a lot of detail work that adds up in terms of time. The end result is beautiful woodsmanship.

I broke down and got to "Melmers" with the 60% off sale at Micheals.  I plan on keeping the 4 racks I have up and eventually replacing them with acrylic ones but for now I will continue to fix them and keep my favorites up there.  I am not sure where or how I will be stacking these.  My current mani table is only rated to hold about 110 lbs so I can not fill them or I will be in trouble.  I was going to copy the divider method that Frostkitty is doing with her Helmer so they can stay upright without falling over.  Problem with a Melmer is it's not a self sustaining drawer (not sure if a Helmer is) and it's not on casters but I only paid $16 each and it in theory can hold up to 600 vs a Helmer at 39.99 plus an hour and a half drive to my nearest Ikea.  I am not 100% happy but I needed the extra storage for now and at the very least I can store other stuff in them if I need to.  I dislike the Melmer on the floor because the bottom drawer is like literally on my floor.  It makes getting down to open it a kind of pain.  I would like to actually just put one on each side of the manicure desk and then have access to all of my most used polishes for stamping and nail art right where I can reach them.  Hoping the rest of my weekend involves some rearranging again!

Back