How do you store your nail polish collection?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm... am I the only person who prefers to sort by brand rather than colour? I see almost everyone sort by brand by the colour is more important to me...

I keep moving around or else I'd buy a permanent fixture to store my nail polish. While I wasn't looking, I'm probably somewhere in the 150-200 range now (esp if I count my minis, sigh).

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hm... am I the only person who prefers to sort by brand rather than colour? I see almost everyone sort by brand by the colour is more important to me...

I keep moving around or else I'd buy a permanent fixture to store my nail polish. While I wasn't looking, I'm probably somewhere in the 150-200 range now (esp if I count my minis, sigh).
I sort mine by brand as well.  I swatch out all my polishes on a color wheel by similar colors ie teals/turquoise, purples, pinks, glitters, etc.  Then I have a spreadsheet in Excel on my computer that corresponds to a number on the back of the wheel.  I can then pull that up and see what polish it is.  Because I sort by brand, I can know exactly where to go for that bottle.  I am a tad bit OCD though.

Currently my nail polish stash is stored in the top section of my SherrieBlossom IceBox, but with all my subs, I have quickly run out of room. So I am now saving up to buy a Fox Claws Roxy Rack...I do not trust myself with the DIY options. I can see all my polish crashing to the floor because I didn't use enough glue or forgot to put a nail in somewhere...and this way, I will clear up an entire level for more cosmetics in my IceBox! It's a win win!

I have mine in clear shoe boxes sorted by color.  All of my stripers and nail art pens in a box, stamping supplies in another, and base/top coats/stregtheners in another!  All the boxes are from the Container Store so they fit neatly on top of one another hidden in the back of my closet so my husband doesn't actually see how big my collection is.

I also have a DIY polish shelf that's close to overflowing now. Hubby has another one cut out, he just needs to put it together (will have to wait till after we move, now). But all of my "extras" are in plastic shoe boxes under the sink; things like tape, decals, rhinestones, dotting tools, and stampers. I'm not a fan of how the extras are being stored right now. It gets really messy pretty fast. Maybe I'll come up with something after the move. I'm thinking plastic drawers under the sink? or maybe a small wooden drawer unit with dividers in it on top of the dresser?

I sort by brand simply because mine are all on wall racks and they fit together better.  I use those plastic nail sticks to organise by colour.

Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I sort mine by brand as well.  I swatch out all my polishes on a color wheel by similar colors ie teals/turquoise, purples, pinks, glitters, etc.  Then I have a spreadsheet in Excel on my computer that corresponds to a number on the back of the wheel.  I can then pull that up and see what polish it is.  Because I sort by brand, I can know exactly where to go for that bottle.  I am a tad bit OCD though.

I just bought an Ikea Helmer, it should arrive next week (the closest Ikea is two and a half hours away, S&H was expensive but probably about the same as gas money
frown.gif
). If you google it, it is very popular with nail polish bloggers. Once I put it together, I'm gonna use the opportunity to do an inventory with an excel spreadsheet. Lol, i have a problem. I'm also gonna store all of my samples in them, as well as my nail tools and a few other makeup items I don't use every day!

Originally Posted by maeiland /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here is my storage solution. You can find these all over ebay and amazon. I need another one because all of my nail polish doesn't fit on just one.

i
I just adore this solution but my home will look like a salon ,,lolz

I have my own indie nail polish line, and for shows and storage while at home, I use these shelves that my sister made!

But for my other nail polishes at home, I use spice racks! I got them at Solutions, but they can be found on ebay or amazon most likely. The photo is from over a year ago, so now I have a third spice rack! My sister has three also, but she spray painted hers black. They look so nice!

I finally found something perfect for not only storing my nail polishes, but also all my files, clippers, polish remover and cotton balls!  I found this nifty little holder at Bed Bath & Beyond.  It sure beats my old shoe box.  A few nailpolishes wouldn't fit, so I put 4 that I only wear in the winter back in my shoebox for now.

I have one Ikea Helmer that is full and could probably fill another one about halfway right now. No, I don't have a polish obsession AT ALL.
laughno.gif
Only one friend has seen has massive the collection is. She told me I need an intervention.

I'm shocked no one stores their polishes the way I do.. About a year ago I saw on pinterest someone's nailpolish collection storage and thought OMG I have to do that.. from target I got a white with clear pockets over the door shoe holder. I group by color and hang it from my husbands closet door. I just put all pinks in one pocket, blues in another and so on and so forth.

Very cheap solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Door-Clear-Organizer-Storage/dp/B000IXOH7G

Originally Posted by Amanda Warwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm shocked no one stores their polishes the way I do.. About a year ago I saw on pinterest someone's nailpolish collection storage and thought OMG I have to do that.. from target I got a white with clear pockets over the door shoe holder. I group by color and hang it from my husbands closet door. I just put all pinks in one pocket, blues in another and so on and so forth.

Very cheap solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Door-Clear-Organizer-Storage/dp/B000IXOH7G
This is an interesting idea. Can it handle the weight of the polish?

The best way to store nail polise from drying is to keep in refrigerator..and using the nail polise always afects the nails and yellowing of nails starts.so its best to select good quality nail polish and use use rarely.

Quote: Originally Posted by prettycontech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  The best way to store nail polise from drying is to keep in refrigerator..and using the nail polise always afects the nails and yellowing of nails starts.so its best to select good quality nail polish and use use rarely.

I don't believe this is true. Keeping it in the refrigerator just makes it cold, which makes it harder to apply. Taking it in and out of the fridge just changes the temperature and causes a break down of the chemicals.

http://www.thedailyvarnish.com/2013/01/22/how-to-properly-store-nail-polish/

Also, using nail polish without a good base coat is what causes discoloration of the nails. I paint my nails often. I only had yellowing of the nails when I first started because I wasn't using a base coat. When I started using a base coat the yellowing grew out and hasn't been a problem since.

Here is my storage solution. You can find these all over ebay and amazon. I need another one because all of my nail polish doesn't fit on just one.
Drooling over your collection.

Quote: Originally Posted by maeiland /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a helmer drawer from ikea but i really want this so i can see what i have!!

Latest posts

Back