How do you store your nail polish collection?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do it yourself.  You just need weather stripping tape, strips of wood and a hand saw to cut the wood to the correct length.

I modified this idea for drawer dividers from family handyman. http://www.familyhandyman.com/storage-organization/easy-organization/view-all#step4  I just put the strips of wood in at an angle instead of straight.

2014-06-05 18.13.19.jpg

2014-06-05 18.20.45.jpg
Ooooh. The wheels are churning now! Love my Helmer for its ability to hold everything. Dislike not being able to really separate brands within the drawers or see the bottles. We now live closer to dad who has every tool imaginable and tons of wood scraps. Hmmmmmmmmmm

I have my collection of maybe 300 polishes in several heavy duty cardboard, decorative boxes. They each have a handle and latch closed. When I travel and I want to bring some with me I just put a towel over the polish to make it so they don't shift. I've had them for several years and they have held up great including a move. The boxes can be found at TJ Maxx or Micheals type stores. Mine are organized by brand then color and each swatched on a heavy sketch paper I have a sheet for each brand. It makes it really easy to see all my colors at once without having to even open the boxes. I keep them in the corner of the living room since I do change my polish almost daily and don't have the space to display them. My perfume collection competes for display space and has won.

Hm... am I the only person who prefers to sort by brand rather than colour? I see almost everyone sort by brand by the colour is more important to me...

I keep moving around or else I'd buy a permanent fixture to store my nail polish. While I wasn't looking, I'm probably somewhere in the 150-200 range now (esp if I count my minis, sigh).
I sort by colour right now. They're in boxes. I have them all listed on my computer, but I haven't done swatches for myself, so when I'm thinking of doing something in a certain colour, I'll just go look at them and choose the ones I want. Alternately, I'll look at my list and choose something I haven't tried and work around that. The only problem comes when I put away that pale mauve-lavendar shade I originally decided was pink in the purples box!

I modified the suggestion to create drawer dividers with weather stripping and scrap wood. Instead, I just used weather stripping to create custom rows in each drawer to keep things from sliding around.

image.jpg

I love my swatch sticks, but have struggled with how to store them in a way that makes picking a color or checking for dupes simple. New house, new space, new ideas!

image.jpg

So I ordered what was dubbed as a nail polish organizer (among other things) from eBay, and I realized upon its arrival today that it's more than just a little bit on the small side (as the photo shows)... I never actually measured it before ordering lol Oh well. Anyway, it's not a total loss as it holds my lipsticks, eyeliners, and mascaras quite decently for $5.00.  I guess my search continues, for now!

organizer.jpg

I made one of those DIY organizers out of 2 plates and candle holders and painted them gray. Then placed all of my nail polish on them!  

I'll try to get storage pics sometime. But, I just redid everything on Friday. Still using 5 boxes. 4 big cardboard boxes plus one small plastic rubbermaid box.

I used to sort by brand and have 2 or 3 good brands in each box. And, the cheapies in one box all to themselves. But, on Friday. I decided to sort by color. I have a box of pinks/reds/fuchsias. Then I have 2 blues/greens/purples boxes (you see what I like), Then I have a box of browns/oranges/duocromes then I have a glitters box, and then a neutrals box which is my smallest. Whoa. And, I still have 2 polishes coming in the mail and then whatever I buy today.

I just did this the other day. It's divided into warm colors vs cool colors, and the smaller top box contains nail files, clippers, etc. The bins were like $2 each at Target.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to store my polishes in anchor hocking glass jars, but I have too many now! I opted to do what many people have done onlkne and that's to get spice racks from IKEA and paint them. I think I'll add one more shelf because it's pretty full but here's the outcome.

image.jpg

After putting polish on the shelf I think I am going to end up painting it.  I want to do white shelves with the backboard light gray to match the paint on the walls.  I think the way they are is way too dark.  Here is my Sally Hansen Insta-Dri collection. 

IMG_6913.JPG
Wow Christa, I so admire this collection! It's awesome to have all of those colours fantastic for stamping. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love my swatch sticks, but have struggled with how to store them in a way that makes picking a color or checking for dupes simple. New house, new space, new ideas!

image.jpg
Wow this method is amazin. I also swatch them on sticks like this:

DSC_18631.jpg

I'm now at about 300 - 350 polishes, if I just count my polishes without base and top coat and other stuff like this. 

They are now stored in two helmers and I have to say I pretty much like this system. They are sorted by brand and by color in case you wanna know.

DSC_1837.jpg

Wow this method is amazin. I also swatch them on sticks like this:

DSC_18631.jpg

I'm now at about 300 - 350 polishes, if I just count my polishes without base and top coat and other stuff like this. 

They are now stored in two helmers and I have to say I pretty much like this system. They are sorted by brand and by color in case you wanna know.

DSC_1837.jpg
Nice! I like the swatch fan. I actually haven't swatched my colours at all - it feels weird to invest in swatch sticks at this point, so I haven't done it. Do you folks find you get specific value out of the swatch sticks?

I still keep mine organized by colour and have gel polish separate from the other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably getting close to 700 polishes now, I got rid of loads a few months ago but have got more since and haven't counted for ages. I sort them by brand and then by colour, and they are either in shoeboxes, sweet tins or sturdy plastic boxes, e.g. all my (round) Revlon nail polishes are in one shoebox, all my Avon are in octagonal shaped tins, and all my Barry M (and Revlon chroma chameleon) are in big rectangular cake boxes. I don't have swatch sticks, I'm not that committed just yet! 

In a box, in my backpack, under my bed, behind several boxes below room temperature.

I've been considering letting them age in an oak barrel though.

In a box, in my backpack, under my bed, behind several boxes below room temperature.

I've been considering letting them age in an oak barrel though.
Oh, no! You must let them out to breathe. They are most enjoyed by wearing and posting regularly!

Oh, no! You must let them out to breathe. They are most enjoyed by wearing and posting regularly!
If I'm being honest I haven't been able to wear mine as often as I'd like to lately. About twice a month if I'm lucky? /sadness I'll be able to wear them more often after the New Year, things will finally settle down and I'll have a bit more free time to myself. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There are great ideas in here!  My collection is currently stored in a large tool box but I'm going to start looking for wall racks, the box is full! 

Latest posts

Back