How many of you use Proactiv?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't use the line but just wanted to pop the question because I heard raves from 2 people today and one of my friends uses it too. They all swear by it. I would be afraid to try the line on my skin because it's so sensitive. I had another friend who used it and couldn't use all the products in the line because her skin was also sensitive.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) I don't use the line but just wanted to pop the question because I heard raves from 2 people today and one of my friends uses it too. They all swear by it. I would be afraid to try the line on my skin because it's so sensitive. I had another friend who used it and couldn't use all the products in the line because her skin was also sensitive. Sorry Rei - I've only seen it on tv...
icon_wink.gif
I've heard mixed reviews on it from people though... some loved it... some didn't b/c of the sensitivity, or lack of improvement. I used Murad - since I didn't see Proactiv at the time... but I probably would've tried it if the Murad didn't work... I'm sure they'll be replies on this soon
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I tried it once several years ago and swear that it didn't work, but to be honest I didn't use it faithfully so I'm sure that is why I didn't see results. I have now been using it extremely faithfully for the past month and a half. I now believe that it is working. I have only had 3 that got away. I can't answer for the sensitive skin issue cause, I wouldn't consider myself as having sensitive skin. Hopefully my skin will continue to clear. I plan on continuing to use it!
icon_razz.gif

I used ProActiv a few years ago like when I was in highschool. It did clear up my skin really well. But then last year, it just stopped working...? I use cetaphil and I still use the lotion though just so I'm using an acne lotion, don't know how much it's doing. I still break out and get clogged pores. But I think the cetaphil is too drying for me. I have to put a lot of moisturizer on.

I'm waiting on a shipment from Sephora.com for some acne kit from DDF, so I'll see how that goes.

I don't know about sensitivity though.

I used Murad, but it didn't do anything for me. I also used the Kiehl's blue line for acne and it was too much for me, and my face would burn when I used it.

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 I used ProActiv a few years ago like when I was in highschool. It did clear up my skin really well. But then last year, it just stopped working...? I use cetaphil and I still use the lotion though just so I'm using an acne lotion, don't know how much it's doing. I still break out and get clogged pores. But I think the cetaphil is too drying for me. I have to put a lot of moisturizer on. I'm waiting on a shipment from Sephora.com for some acne kit from DDF, so I'll see how that goes.

I don't know about sensitivity though.

I used Murad, but it didn't do anything for me. I also used the Kiehl's blue line for acne and it was too much for me, and my face would burn when I used it.

Have you tried Differin gel? I absolutely LOVE this stuff! It's perscription... but this thing works like you wouldn't believe... I got mine really cheap online w/o a persciption - my tube was like $30 & lasts forever... my friend had samples from her dermatologist & gave me one to try - since then... I've been a regular user. Actually I really dont' use it that often anymore b/c I really don't break out as bad as I used to - so I use it to 'spot treat' now... still works great even for just that alone.

like janelle said, i've heard mixed reviews. a lot of people actually get immune to it and it stops, somehow, like lizzyb said it did for her.

what's the active ingredient? salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide or what?

FYI: jessica simpson's a spokesperson for this and swears by it, but what she didn't tell people was that she used accutane prior to this
icon_twisted.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Have you tried Differin gel? I absolutely LOVE this stuff! It's perscription... but this thing works like you wouldn't believe... I got mine really cheap online w/o a persciption - my tube was like $30 & lasts forever... my friend had samples from her dermatologist & gave me one to try - since then... I've been a regular user. Actually I really dont' use it that often anymore b/c I really don't break out as bad as I used to - so I use it to 'spot treat' now... still works great even for just that alone. Ahh, my Differin sister! That stuff is FABULOUS for spot treatment of breakouts, it's the only acne gel I use. Didn't know you can get it online... where did you find it Janelle?
As for Proactiv, I used it for about two months and did see my skin clear up quite nicely. I love their cleanser for its little micro beads & soft smell. My skin is very good about products & doesn't have reactions, so reviews from gals with sensitive skin would probably be more useful than my thoughts. But I liked Proactiv overall! The only reason I quit was because they kept goofing my shipments and I wanted to get some treatments from my dermatologist that were covered via insurance. I'd say, try it out for a month and see what you think!

friend of mine (zarin) started to use Proactive worked great for her. so she recmd for my cousin sis (benu)...when she starte in a weekk her skin was flake and turned black on her chick part. she was really scared. we told her continue using it...and see if it difference. like reija said proactive not for everybody...i think benu has sensitive skin so not working great for he. she is gone stop after this one finish. I will tell her about the Differin Gel..Is there particular skin type needed? she has tree type skin...what kind would you gal recmd for Differin gel?

I use it off and on, mostly when zits flare up out of the blue. It works fine for me when I use it religiously (day and night), so I can't complain. Although I did notice that it worked the best the first time I used it - cleared my skin up in less than two weeks. Now it seems to be taking a bit longer. My only gripe is that the cleanser is rough, and leaves you feeling raw after a few uses.

i never had breakouts maybe just one or two around my chin/jawline and one day i used clinique lotion and i was also using neutrogena and one day my face got all red and dry and itchy and it NEVER happend to me before so i went to sephora and they told me to use murad even though i dont have an acne problem and i LOVE it because now my face is so soft and it has this glow to it .. ive heard about that some people love proactiv and some hate it,, maybe you can gget a trial to see if its for you?

It's not a bad product line, but it wasn't a miracle worker for me. I love the toner though, but the lotion isn't anything great. I hated the cleanser. It stank and dried me out. I may order the toner again, unfortunately have to order the whole darn kit for it.

For my case, I needed something stronger like Retin A micro and clyndimicin AND ortho tri AAAAND doxycycline oral antibiotics to attack the under the skin zits. (The doxycycline is only temporary though)

In my opinion, Proactiv is not leaps and bounds beyond a gentle cleanser and OTC bp gel like neutrogena's. Their toner is what makes it special. But you can get a nice AHA toner elsewhere without buying the entire kit.

I use it and LOVE it. It's the ONLY thing that has ever worked to clear up my acne &keep my skin under control. I've used it on &off for about 5 or6 years, BUT I always end up going back to it. Works wonders for me. I also use some of their cosmetics, which are great as well.

It worked for me for about 2 weeks, made my pores smaller; then it dried my skin and made it tight and flakey. At night the pain would keep me up. But I've heard it works for others, no one i've ever met. Sorry, i'm not a fan, and i still have like 4 sets. Too expensive and no results.

bang.gif
PROACTIVE

I used 2 sets worht and it did work but I had to age about 5 years while I was on it, it's WAY too drying. I'm 36, I don't need any help looking older so I won't use it again.

Proactiv cleared up my skin but it burned during my workouts from the repairing lotion. I've actually been considering going back to Proactiv and just using the cleanser & toner.

Just a warning if you decide to try Proactiv - it WILL bleach your towels! Use white towels or old towels that you don't care about for drying your face after using Proactiv. Also, if you use the repairing lotion (which is the treatment), be careful not to let your face come into significant contact with any of your clothing. It will bleach your clothing too.

It didn't work for me. I still broke out, and I just wasn't satisfied with the results so I returned it and got a refund. It's not a bad system..I like the way it feels and it did ok..break-outs decreased, but not enough to make me use it again. I was actually disappointed with this because it's so hyped up..IMO it's overrated. But I think you should really try it for yourself and see what you think. Because everyone's skin is different and it may work for you.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Have you tried Differin gel? I absolutely LOVE this stuff! It's perscription... but this thing works like you wouldn't believe... I got mine really cheap online w/o a persciption - my tube was like $30 & lasts forever... my friend had samples from her dermatologist & gave me one to try - since then... I've been a regular user. Actually I really dont' use it that often anymore b/c I really don't break out as bad as I used to - so I use it to 'spot treat' now... still works great even for just that alone. i am just wondering, where did you find differin for that cheap? the stuff i found is like 61 bucks. Also, i see you had good luck with murad. i ordered the stuff, then i researched it online. lots of neg feedback. i hope it works for me like it did you!

I used Proactiv about 3 years ago. It burned my skin. I have very sensitive skin. I have friends that use it and love it (but they don't have sensitive skin).

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back