How much are you willing to spend on a handbag?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most I've spent is $1700 (by the time I brought it through customs, paid taxes & duties) on my Paddington. It's not something I can do very often (this was a 21st & 'Job well done' at school type gift), but I'd do it again.

The most I'd like to spend... well, I'd really like to own a Kelly some day. I don't care if they're matronly, but a Kelly in an exotic Ostrich skin (pelt with tomatoes, PeTA people!) or a Chanel Large flap in Ostrich... mon dieu.

Reasonably? The likelihood is that I'll be way older by the time I can even reasonably think about affording a Kelly, and my parents certainly aren't going to buy me a bunch of Hermes accessories to show I'm dedicated to getting on the waitlist (because I certainly can't justify blowing $600 on a scarf or a belt that has a giant, gold 'H' clasp). Furthermore, while I love Hermes, the idea of having to run through hoops to buy a bag (it's one thing to go on vacation to a larger city and easily find the bag you want when you can't get it in the colour or size you want here, it's quite another to have to do waitlist) is not really something I'm willing to do at this time.

I think $3K would be my absolute, realistic limit, and it'd have to be a really awesome bag that I couldn't think of not having. Like, a large Chanel flap in Grey Caviar leather, with silvertone hardware. I wouldn't be able to just 'settle' for a black with gold-toned hardware, or something.

Anyone happen t catch "The Bachelor" reality TV show where Shantel gets a $5,000 Fendi purse?  IT was wow!

Back in my youth, I was VERY stupid and paid $1300 for a LV and another $500 for the matching coin purse.  Now, I still like designer but usually stick with Dooney & Bourke, Etienne Aigner and Coach.  The most I'm willing to spend is 200.  

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Back in my youth, I was VERY stupid and paid $1300 for a LV and another $500 for the matching coin purse.  Now, I still like designer but usually stick with Dooney & Bourke, Etienne Aigner and Coach.  The most I'm willing to spend is 200.  

I totally agree, I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a bag (specially since I don't have them, lol). The most I've paid was $120 I believe. With the number of designer outlets out there I can't make myself pay full retail price for a bag.

I have spent max 200 but if I could spend more I would! I'm new to expensive bags bought my first one the other day and the truth is they last longer and I treat them better before that I have had cheaper bags and it shows when they start to wear, I'm hooked!!

My most expensive bag was a $1195 Balenciaga.  It's a classic and I rarely buy a new purse.

Originally Posted by bowbandit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Normally I refuse to pay over $20. However, I have paid 50 once for a Coach.

That's me too, i usually don't spend more than $20

The most I have ever spent was $1400 on a YSL bag.  I haven't ever really set a limit, I just haven't really been looking for more bags lately.  That said, I think my next addition will likely be a reissue 2.55 from 2005 if I can find a nice one at a price I'm willing to pay.

It is depend on my likings and brand or quality of the bag. I like to purchase branded handbags so I will spend on it no matter how much it costs. The handbag must be fashionable. My favourite brand is Peperone for which I can spend any amount to purchase.

I usually spend ~$60, the most I've ever spent was $200. though, my favorite bag of all time was $30 from Forever21, I used it for years until I accidentally ruined the interior by spilling a drink in it. literally, it lasted me like 3 years of almost daily use.

aside from using a clutch, I never switch out handbags, I'm the type of person to use the same bag for months until the season changes lol.

It depends if I had the money I would drop $6000+ for a Chanel bag, but since I don't have that laying around I'm content with my $500 Marc by Marc Jacobs bag. And with my current budget $500 is probably the most I could spend on one.

Being a poor college student -- not more than about $20...maybe $30 if I really liked it.

But honestly, even though I buy cheap bags, they last. The one I got before my current one only cost me $10 from Charlotte Russe, and it lasted me a good 3 years before it started falling apart. And that was with pretty much daily use as I pretty much only use one bag at a time!

My most expensive bag is a Murakami printed Louis Vuitton and when I bought it, it was almost $5000. But that was before I had children. These days I try not to spend more than $500 on a bag.

It depends. I usually won't spend too much, but every now and then I will buy a really nice one. Like recently I just got a Rebecca Minkoff bag. I love it!

Last week I bought a small leather Croft & Barrow bag for $5 at a thrift store.  They also had a Tignanello for $40 which appeared to be new, but I couldn't bring myself to pay $40 for a bag at a thrift store, even if it's in like new condition.  If I'd found the same bag at Macys I would have grabbed it for sure.

If I was looking for an "investment" bag, to use every day for several years, I still wouldn't pay more than $200-$300.  Since I don't want to make that kind of commitment to a bag right now, my limit for a good quality, leather bag is about $100.  

It depends on the salary. If I were Bill Gates, there would be no limits.
laughno.gif

And now I can accept a handbag up to 300 dollars.

Back