How much nail polish do you own?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like most people on here dislike Color Club, but it's honestly my favorite. I love it's consistency and how pigmented their colors all are. Plus, it wears well.
I love the CC colors and I love how pigmented they are BUT to this day I haven't found a CC that doesn't chip or peel super fast on me, it might be that it just doesn't work w my nails or something

There are number of things that set OPI apart: 1) the formula is consistently great, and a number of things go into that factor: how it applies, how it dries (self-leveling formula wooh!), how long it lasts. A lot of brands achieve this, but they don't necessarily consistently achieve it the way OPI does.
I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with this. I own over 200 OPIs, and the formula is no more consistent than any other salon brand. There are even inconsistencies within the same collection some times. I like OPI, but this is praise it doesn't deserve. To answer the OP's question, I have about 1600 bottles but hope to purge at lest half by the end of the year.

Well I think I have about 40 ish, and like you I have different shades of pink! I love nudes/pinks so when you look at my polishes that is what is mostly there. I probably have more but my little sister like to grab some and never return them. More than half of them are Essie and I paid $8 for each so I really dont want to see how much it really is lol But I do have a lot of Revlon that I found at CVS when they were on 75% off, so when there is a deal like that I dont care if i already have a similar color, it was a good deal so I got them lol Right now I keep them in a box, I want a nail polish rack but if I see empty space I will buy random polishes just to fill it up

I'm hovering around 400.  Many of them are common brands like OPI, China Glaze, Zoya, Wet n Wild, Orly, Sally Hansen, Misa, and Essie. I have a few peppered other ones like Chanel, Illamasqua, Fingerpaints, RBL, Deborah Lippman. The most consistent brands for me are Orly, China Glaze, Zoya and Essie. Essie is my "nudie" brand. I have quite a few of their nudes but I adore each new nude they put out. Zoya, China Glaze, and Orly come out with good products in a wide range of great colors often. OPI is usually a great brand but I have had a few dud formulas from them so I don't claim them as a favorite, although I do love most of their polishes.

Recently I have been venturing more into indie polish companies like Candeo, Dollish Polish, Cult Nails, and Rainbow Honey. Sometimes these small companies or people make amazing stuff! Also recently addicted to SquareHue lol

Originally Posted by lolaB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with this. I own over 200 OPIs, and the formula is no more consistent than any other salon brand.
Salon brands, yes, but she's talking about cheaper polishes. Salon brands all retail for the same relative price as OPI ($7-9), and have been consistently great quality. I'm saying only recently (within the last 5 years or so) have drugstore polishes really upped their game. And I'm not a fan of Essie and ChG's quality.

400 polishes is a huge collection! How do you keep them to prevent drying out? I have around 40 and had to toss a couple because they got thick and wouldn't dry on my nails

I'm at about 450-500... My girlfriend enables me a great deal... One by buying me nail polish and two she made me nail polish racks to hold them all

I'm probably at about 70 or so. I just went through a lot of my polishes and eyshadows and threw out a lot of old stuff and I still have sooo much. It is ridiculous, especially since I don't wear makeup on a daily basis. But it is nice to have options :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Olga Ok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
400 polishes is a huge collection! How do you keep them to prevent drying out? I have around 40 and had to toss a couple because they got thick and wouldn't dry on my nails
ahhh tossing nail polish :'( one minute of silence for the dead nail polish! jk. Did you try fixing them w nail polish thinner? 

Originally Posted by Olga Ok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever I am ready to use them I check the consistency and if they are getting thick I just put a couple of drops of thinner in them, shake it up and come back in an hour. My two daughters do help me use them and we do lots of designs so we open a lot of bottles regularly. It has been a long time since I have had to throw away one.

You can buy thinner (not remover) for a few dollars at Sally's or other places.

Whenever I am ready to use them I check the consistency and if they are getting thick I just put a couple of drops of thinner in them, shake it up and come back in an hour. My two daughters do help me use them and we do lots of designs so we open a lot of bottles regularly. It has been a long time since I have had to throw away one. You can buy thinner (not remover) for a few dollars at Sally's or other places.
Thanks for the advice!

Is thinner really that much better than remover? I always just just a few drops of acetone to thin my polish out and it's always worked fine!

Is thinner really that much better than remover? I always just just a few drops of acetone to thin my polish out and it's always worked fine!
Remover will break down your polish, while thinner restores the chemicals that evaporate from your polish over time. You would not (and could not) use thinner to remove your nail polish, so why use remover to thin it? Even if you don't see immediate deterioration, there's no way your polish will survive long term.

Also - & I've read this advice here on MuT somewhere - with all the newer 3-free and 5-free formulated polishes (like zoya), the acetone could really mess with the formulation of the polish. Which I guess is another version of what lolaB said, lol

I have more than 200, but less than 250, based on the last time I counted and how many I've gotten since then. I don't think that includes base coat and top coat, but it does include minis and trades and samples. I have only paid full price for maybe 3 polishes. I only buy them with major sales and coupons including CVS Extra Bucks, and then of course, some I received from Birchbox and ipsy and trades. I got a bonus from work at the end of the year that accounts for several. I had a job for 8 years where I wasn't allowed to wear nail polish at all, so I think I went overboard once I got a different job. Plus, when I don't polish my nails, I have a bad habit of tearing them without even thinking about it. Now I blog about my different manis. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also periodically have little 'nail parties' where my friends and family get to play with my polishes or I paint their nails for them. 

I have found that there are good polishes at all price points. (For lower price points, I have found some great ones in the brands Milani, Wet n Wild, Spoiled, and Sinful Colors. CVS often has specials on the first three brands I mentioned.) The formulas have been hit or miss for me on all brands so far except Zoya. I have never tried a bad Zoya. That being said, I have not yet tried my higher-end Deborah Lippmann or Butter London polishes. (Approximately half of my polishes I haven't tried yet. It does sound crazy, but if you read nail blogs there are a lot of us with crazy stashes and mountains of Untrieds.)

Remover will break down your polish, while thinner restores the chemicals that evaporate from your polish over time. You would not (and could not) use thinner to remove your nail polish, so why use remover to thin it? Even if you don't see immediate deterioration, there's no way your polish will survive long term.
Simply: Because it works. I've never had a problem with it, and until very recently, I had never even heard of polish thinner.

Simply: Because it works. I've never had a problem with it, and until very recently, I had never even heard of polish thinner.
haha. I like you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but yes. I agree, as long as it works. do it.

My question was rhetorical. You asked how they differ, and I answered. You can ruin your polish with remover if you'd like, but if you ever plan to swap/sell with/to anyone, please fully disclose this. I'd hate to receive a polish that had been "thinned" with acetone.

My question was rhetorical. You asked how they differ, and I answered. You can ruin your polish with remover if you'd like, but if you ever plan to swap/sell with/to anyone, please fully disclose this. I'd hate to receive a polish that had been "thinned" with acetone.
I've always used acetone or other polish remover and have never had a problem which is why I was wondering. Not a one of my polishes has ever been ruined except by my little sisters not closing it fully or breaking the bottle. And I don't swap or sell. I just give what I don't want to my little sisters.

If you truly want to get to the science behind this you have to start reading labels. Polish remover may contain acetone, butyl acetate, toluene, propylene carbonate or any other number of mystery ingredients including oil, fragrance and water. Now if you are removing your polish with pure butyl acetate (which is hard to get a hold of and almost no one has) then yes, thinning it will work fine. Most people pick up their drugstore brand or order it from their favorite polish company. The problem is not only the different solvents but also the potential added water, fragrance and/or oil.

I think you are lucky KeepOnSingin...or I am unlucky. I have tried to thin mine with both acetone and remover in the past. The funny thing was that most of the low end polishes were fine but my expensive ones went bad. I am not sure if I would call it curdling but it definitely ruined them. Well that hit me right in the wallet so I decided to opt for thinner instead and I haven't had a problem since.

Latest posts

Back