How to make it look like you've FLAWLESS skin!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you use & how do you apply it to achieve the "flawless skin" look. I've serious marks on my face at the moment from picking my spots and i need to cover them up. I just cant get that "flawless" look though. Any tips girls?

At the moment ive got only got a few important peices of advice:

1. STOP PICKING

2. Get good products (skin & makeup)

3. Remember - u can only ever cover the color, not the texture - and still look 'normal' in daylight

Hope this helps a little
wink.gif

follow your foundation with a concealer (your exact skin tone) on just the areas you want to even out. make sure to blend well ( i like to use my fingers, but sponges work just as well). follow the concealer with a loose powder dusted lightly over your entire face. as long as your concealer and powder match your skin tone it should appear that you have on no makeup at all.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

I would say, if you've scabbed over from picking- exfoliate gently first. That's really essential to a smooth canvas. Then opt for a powder concealor, mineral foundations work really well for this, and spot treat after you've gone through your full face makeup application. Powder foundations and concealors don't slide off blemishes like creams and liquids will, and just a little really will conceal the unfortunate redness. A good makeup primer in a corrective tint is also good- Smashbox makes one in a green tint that I think works well...Especially if your face is just generally blotchy as it can sometimes look. During breakouts, stay away from makeups that are too glittery, shimmery, reflective, and so on...They tend to make uneven skin appear dirty.

I've recently discovered the benefits of internal maintenance, though...MSM, taken three times a day (1200 mgs) works wonders for my complexion. It has natural anti-allergin properties and that's what I need since most cosmetics contain alluminum which I am horribly allergic to. Also, it's essentially sulfur, which is proven to calm and reduce acne, promote softer skin, and healthier muscles.

ack. i feel your pain laura!! i've been breaking out like crazy on my cheeks and have these little bumps on my forehead that are noticible. gotta go to a dermatologist
frown.gif

i can look alright inside, but once i'm outside, you can definitely see the texture of my skin
frown.gif
i hate it

XOffendr,

I've been a path of sorts, clearing up my skin after a horrible hormonal breakout (after I stopped breastfeeding my 2nd child), and have had really good results. I found some products that are really helping to clear my skin, and a mineral makeup that doesn't dry out my skin or contribute to breakout. I've also changed a lot in my diet. So at the moment, my skin looks and feels the best it has in several months. I am very interested in the MSM you mentioned. What does the acronym stand for, and can you tell me more about it? Any negative side effects? Where do you purchase it?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by XOffendr I would say, if you've scabbed over from picking- exfoliate gently first. That's really essential to a smooth canvas. Then opt for a powder concealor, mineral foundations work really well for this, and spot treat after you've gone through your full face makeup application. Powder foundations and concealors don't slide off blemishes like creams and liquids will, and just a little really will conceal the unfortunate redness. A good makeup primer in a corrective tint is also good- Smashbox makes one in a green tint that I think works well...Especially if your face is just generally blotchy as it can sometimes look. During breakouts, stay away from makeups that are too glittery, shimmery, reflective, and so on...They tend to make uneven skin appear dirty.

I've recently discovered the benefits of internal maintenance, though...MSM, taken three times a day (1200 mgs) works wonders for my complexion. It has natural anti-allergin properties and that's what I need since most cosmetics contain alluminum which I am horribly allergic to. Also, it's essentially sulfur, which is proven to calm and reduce acne, promote softer skin, and healthier muscles.

Estee Lauder Idealist did wonders for calming down and smoothing out my skin.

My product trick to give myself a glow is to mix MAC irridescent bronzing powder (in golden bronze) with my moisturizer (oil of olay spf 15) in the morning. It gives a nice even not too sparkly glow and definitely distracts from imperfections.

I'm a picker too Laura so I can relate.

Ericka

Nicolet, you'll have to tell me what's worked for you. My hormones have been sort of running amuck for the last year, which I hear is pretty common right around my age, so it's a constant process of preventitive action. As mom, I can also relate to what you're going through. Everything seemed to spring haywire after my son was born. I sometimes feel like I'm still playing catch up five years later.

MSM stands for Methyl Sulfonyl Methane, and it has no known negative side effects. It's a form of sulfur, and apparently works wonders for joints and soft tissue. According to one website I came across (www.bulkmsm.com) it makes the cells more permeable, allowing a quicker easier release of toxins, and more effective absorption of nutrients. I can really see the difference in my own skin. Also, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but in times of real desperation- say if I knew I had to look my best in three days, high quantities of zinc- about 90 to 120 mgs a day until my skin clears up- really is a quick fix. Zinc has been shown to be as effective as tetracycline for treating acne in studies, but extended use at high doses can cause toxic damage, so I really just try to take MSM religiously and treat my skin well with a mild glycolic wash and save the zinc for emergency situations.

This is my problem too. Lately I've been liking Laura Mercier Oil-free foundation. It seems to even out my skin very nicely but I have to be careful of not to use too much or it will look too heavy. I finish it with loose powder and get very good results. I use my fingers to apply it although Laura Mercier recommends a sponge. I also don't use the foundation primer which works like Estee Lauder Idealist. It evens out the skin and makes a nice mat finish prior to the foundation. I used the primer before but never with this foundation. I'm just too lazy to use it. If there are too many steps involved I have trouble doing it.

I feel your pain, Laura. I've spent the last few months breaking out badly, and I've unfortunately got quite a few scars to show for it. So now I'm trying to fade them - I use my regular acne med (Finacea) 2x a day, and then at night, I spot treat with Paula's Choice 8% AHA. I just dip a Q-Tip in the AHA and dab it on the scars. It has been working to considerably fade them in a short amount of time. They're still there, but not nearly as bad as they were a couple or so weeks ago. I also exfoliate every 2-3 days, and this seems to help also.

As far as makeup, I use mineral makeup or one of the liquids I know works for me. The liquids I use are BB Moisture Rich and Px Virtual Skin. After those, I spot conceal whatever spots need it, then set with powder. I think that's all you really can do until the scars fade.

Hope this helps, Laura!! Hope they fade soon!
smile.gif

i feel ur pain.

i tried every department store and drugstore acne medication i can ever think of. why? because back in highschool i had acne prone skin mixed with a daily use of MAC, i broke out, had scars and much much more!

now i am in college, and i havent had a zit for awhile.

why?

Doxycycline and Defferin it was perscribed by my dermatologist. it is an absolute must. even if u have mild acne, u can still get it perscribed.

doxycycline is an oral treatment, two pills a day and i apply Defferin ( a topical treatment) by night. i noticed results within two weeks, without overdrying, or any side effects.

Defferin is the #1 dermatologist reccomended perscription treatment. i remeber some of my Canadian and South African friends ( i use to live in Canada and South Africa) use it too, so it's internationally available.

actually, u know what, i will garuntee that if u use these two treatments, u will DEFINATELY see results. that's how satisfied i am, coming from someone who has used proactive, clinique acne treatments, neutrogena, clean and clear, Oxy, biore and a string of Japanese acne treatments.

not only does these treatments help reduce acne, but it also helps fade scaring. how it works:

stimulates ur skin overnight so ur skin can shed dead skin and regenerate new skin cells; which helps u to reduce old scars.

and for the worst case senario: get microdermabrasion after using the treatment for a year. and if u want over night success: get acne reducing injections from the dermatologist. i heard it's only $50.00 per injection and ur worst pimple is gone over night
smile.gif

anyways, that's my 2 cents
smile.gif

Originally Posted by satine Use Revlon Skinlights Diffusing Tint, it works wonders.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Welcome to MUT!

Welcome Satine!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Glad to have you on board!

As for me... I'm still searching for my flawless face!! LOL
icon_rolleyes.gif

Welcome to MUT Satine!

As for flawless skin... i wish! On a serious note though, in terms of skincare, i find that Decleor Balm Essential and Liz Earle Superbalm Concentrate work wonders on scars. They are products that are to be used at night, after cleansing and toning.

In terms of MU, i would agree with what people have written - not going for cakey foundations or concealers, maybe try something with light diffusers to take the attention away from the scars.

Hope this is some help!

Originally Posted by satine Use Revlon Skinlights Diffusing Tint, it works wonders.
icon_cheesygrin.gif
welcome to MUT! I'm liz from california!

Originally Posted by XOffendr Nicolet, you'll have to tell me what's worked for you. My hormones have been sort of running amuck for the last year, which I hear is pretty common right around my age, so it's a constant process of preventitive action. As mom, I can also relate to what you're going through. Everything seemed to spring haywire after my son was born. I sometimes feel like I'm still playing catch up five years later.
MSM stands for Methyl Sulfonyl Methane, and it has no known negative side effects. It's a form of sulfur, and apparently works wonders for joints and soft tissue. According to one website I came across (www.bulkmsm.com) it makes the cells more permeable, allowing a quicker easier release of toxins, and more effective absorption of nutrients. I can really see the difference in my own skin. Also, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but in times of real desperation- say if I knew I had to look my best in three days, high quantities of zinc- about 90 to 120 mgs a day until my skin clears up- really is a quick fix. Zinc has been shown to be as effective as tetracycline for treating acne in studies, but extended use at high doses can cause toxic damage, so I really just try to take MSM religiously and treat my skin well with a mild glycolic wash and save the zinc for emergency situations.

thanks for the tip to take zinc for special situations. I´ll definitely try that-too bad I didn´t know this before. my uncle got married last weekend and the day before this nasty big pimple emerged on my CHIN *eek* good to know there´s something I can do about this now. THANKS!!!!

oh and I have another question: I looked up some info on MSM and it´s actually pretty expensive (a little over 50 bucks for 250 capsules), but they sell a lotion too which is much cheaper. have you had any experience with the lotion?

No, I don't have any experience with the lotions...I was just looking around online and noticed that one site ( http://www.kalahealth.com/ ) is selling a gel for about 10 bucks, which seems reasonable enough to try. I know that sulfur and zinc masks are often sold to treat acne, and some can be very expensive. Since MSM is just sulfur it should have the same effect, and bulk zinc oxide is also available online, too. I didn't realize MSM was so pricey. Yikes! That can certainly add up. I was just fortunate enough to discover that my mother had a treasure trove along with a lot of other nutritional supplements, so I snagged what she was no longer using. MSM was one of them. The zinc really does work! At least for mild to moderate acne. I broke out pretty badly recently. It lasted for weeks, after using some facial cleanser put out by L'Oreal which contained alluminum, and I had giant inflamed itchy red cysts on my cheek and a splattering of dozens of just hard little red bumps on my forehead. I quit using the cleanser, but my skin was still being uncooperative. So, I started taking zinc and after about a week of really intensive treatment, my skin cleared up.

Latest posts

Back