Hubby's got the Flu - Any ideas to make him feel better?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure where to post this - Health would have been good, but that was women's health. LOL...so here it is! My DH and I have been married for 1.5 year(s), and he's got the flu for the the first time since we've been married. He's had it before, but since I'm now his wife, I want to care for him, and do whatever I can to make him feel at ease. The last time I had the flu was in 1999/2000, and I was in college, away from my family, and it was horrible! Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? He stayed home from work today, and he doesn't do that unless he really doesn't feel well. We were both up most of the night - him because he was uncomfortable, and me because I couldn't sleep knowing that he felt so badly. He got up around 8am, and let me stay in bed to try to sleep a bit. I slept until about 11am, and feel much more rested. On one hand I felt bad that I wasn't up and awake when he was at 8am, but on the other hand, I know that without the extra few hours of sleep I had, I might not have been at my best to take care of him. I'd appreciate any advise from those who are wiser than I, and have been through this. Thanks so very much!!! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Originally Posted by Kage_sCupotea Wasn't quite sure where to post this - Health would have been good, but that was women's health. LOL...so here it is!
My DH and I have been married for 1.5 year(s), and he's got the flu for the the first time since we've been married. He's had it before, but since I'm now his wife, I want to care for him, and do whatever I can to make him feel at ease. The last time I had the flu was in 1999/2000, and I was in college, away from my family, and it was horrible! Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

He stayed home from work today, and he doesn't do that unless he really doesn't feel well. We were both up most of the night - him because he was uncomfortable, and me because I couldn't sleep knowing that he felt so badly. He got up around 8am, and let me stay in bed to try to sleep a bit. I slept until about 11am, and feel much more rested. On one hand I felt bad that I wasn't up and awake when he was at 8am, but on the other hand, I know that without the extra few hours of sleep I had, I might not have been at my best to take care of him.

I'd appreciate any advise from those who are wiser than I, and have been through this. Thanks so very much!!!

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

None that are PG enough to post but best wishes for a speedy recovery
biggrin.gif

ROFLOL - "PG"-rated...uh-oh.
wink.gif

At first glance I was trying to figure out if "PG" stood for something, like DH is for "Dear Husband." LOL - I'm not all "here" today, either.

Originally Posted by allisong None that are PG enough to post but best wishes for a speedy recovery
biggrin.gif

Julia- Does he know how freakin lucky he is to have you???
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
You are sooo adorable!! When you mention your DH, I can tell how much you are in love with him. Thats wonderful. I wish more people were so happy like that!! You guys are blessed.

Awwww! You're so sweet!

Want the best advice? Call his mom and ask her what she did for him when he had the flu as a kid. She should know his favorite "sick boy" special treats, like cherry popsicles and grilled cheese sandwiches. If you don't want to call the MIL, then definitely do popsicles. They're great for cooling burning throats and adding a little hydration. Also consider the BRAT diet:

Bananas

Rice

Apple Sauce

Toast

These are all bland and easy on the digestive system.

Make him drink as much water as possible. If he's been losing fluids, then he needs to keep drinking liquids.

Good luck!!
smile.gif

It also won't hurt to keep him on a steady course of ibuprofen or acetaminophen to relieve muscular aches and pain due to flu symptoms. Tylenol Cold and Flu is very good if he has multi-symptoms.

Originally Posted by Steve Speaking as a man who has had the flu before ... ah, nevermind...
icon_redface.gif
Glad to know I'm not the only one with a dirty mind
biggrin.gif

LOL - Steve & Alli. You know, he was too out-of-it to even consider anything but sleeping. It turns out he felt better enough to go to work today. I tried to get him to stay home and rest it off, but he hates just sitting around doing nothing. He didn't have much of a fever, but he still felt funky. We don't know if it's a head cold and he just happened to be achy all over, too, or whatnot. He was mostly tired with a feeling that his head was plugged up. He's got some sort of infection, though...he's constantly blowing his nose, and, well, we know he's got something. We'll see how he feels later...we had plans to go to a friends' apartment for a barbecue with some couples from church. Thanks for everyone's well-wishes, even the dirty minds. LOL

Based on your post I think you are already taking the best care of him possible! It obvious that you are very in love with him and care for him and I'm sure that alone makes him feel better. Keep up the good work!

Originally Posted by shoediva Julia- Does he know how freakin lucky he is to have you???
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
You are sooo adorable!! When you mention your DH, I can tell how much you are in love with him. Thats wonderful. I wish more people were so happy like that!! You guys are blessed. Agrees with Diva. It's very cute! I love it too!
128banner4.jpg

Originally Posted by Steve Speaking as a man who has had the flu before ... ah, nevermind...
icon_redface.gif
This could have been a hot post!Oh well ...

arg-lady-chips-tv-bluebg-url.gif

Originally Posted by allisong Glad to know I'm not the only one with a dirty mind
biggrin.gif
HAHAahahahahaha. Wooohooooooooooooooo!
In all seriousness, alka seltzer for colds and flu worked great for me! Although it tastes like effervescent saw dust, it's worth the gag factor.

ShoeDiva - Awww, you're sweet! Actually, I think he does know how "lucky" he is to have me...after all that we went through last summer with my health. He honestly didn't know if he was going to lose me, or if I was going to come out of it all alright. We are blessed with every day we share- we don't take each other for granted, because we're not promised tomorrow.

You're right - we are very much in love. I never knew it could be like this - almost fairytale-like sometimes. We do have our moments, a little argument here and there, and we're not sickeningly about showing affection or anything, but we have a very deep and pure love. He's my best thing!
smile.gif

I can only hope that our love might rub off on others, and they might know this one-in-a-million love that we share.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by shoediva Julia- Does he know how freakin lucky he is to have you???
icon_exclaim.gif
icon_exclaim.gif
You are sooo adorable!! When you mention your DH, I can tell how much you are in love with him. Thats wonderful. I wish more people were so happy like that!! You guys are blessed.

Reija - Yup - I'm very much in love...like I said in my prior post to ShoeDiva. I'm extremely blessed with him.
smile.gif

I think just knowing that I was here for him made him feel better, you know? It's so much better than living alone and missing your mom's chicken soup, or wishing you had someone to love you. It's definitely amazing being married.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) Based on your post I think you are already taking the best care of him possible! It obvious that you are very in love with him and care for him and I'm sure that alone makes him feel better. Keep up the good work!

Oh yes, Tony. I must have that book. I actually saw something about that book recently, and joked about it. LOL - now it comes in handy. Nah - I'll tell her about the proper care and feeding of husbands - look out Laura!!!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Here is the book you need!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

*hugs* Thanks Cali!!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Californian Agrees with Diva. It's very cute! I love it too!
128banner4.jpg

Latest posts

Back