I dyed my hair for the 1st time!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by NYAngel98 If you wanna go permanent (although they never are... they all fade and oxidize) for a really nice home dye.. I'm loving the new Herbal Essences colors! (Bold n' Brilliant - in the square box w/ the colors - not the older oval white/green ones)I used dark brown - color is still going strong 2 months later, smells AWESOME, and they have great color choices!

box_66.jpg
Heres the one I used. "Chocolate Velvet" -I like it more than the salon color I was using

what other brands do you like? i usually use loreal's multi-faceted color dye. but they dont have a brown that i like.

Originally Posted by lizzyb831 what other brands do you like? i usually use loreal's multi-faceted color dye. but they dont have a brown that i like. I also like Garnier's 100% color in the Dark Golden Brown... stays really well
icon_cheesygrin.gif
(Also check out Garnier Fruitisse too) the only one I don't like too much is Feria - everytime I take a shower, I see it washing down the drain, & the color just doesn't hold on my hair at all.
icon_confused.gif

Janelle, do you know if they have any semi-permanent colors? I prefer it so if I goof, it won't be a biggy
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I also like Garnier's 100% color in the Dark Golden Brown... stays really well
icon_cheesygrin.gif
(Also check out Garnier Fruitisse too) the only one I don't like too much is Feria - everytime I take a shower, I see it washing down the drain, & the color just doesn't hold on my hair at all.
icon_confused.gif

Originally Posted by lilla Janelle, do you know if they have any semi-permanent colors? I prefer it so if I goof, it won't be a biggy
wink.gif
The 2 Garnier dyes that I know of (Fructisse & 100%) are both Level 3 (permanent) But honestly nothing is really so permanent that you have to wait for it to grow out before it changes. All color will oxidize & lighten and will change a bit over about 1-3 weeks... so if you get something close, you probably won't have a problem. Home kits usually don't have the strength needed in the peroxide to really lighten that much - they are more for depositing color... so start with something that almost matches what you have now - see how that goes, and then you can see how your hair takes to that brand.
icon_wink.gif

Sounds good
smile.gif
I will get a new box next weekend and try. I will let you know how it turns out
biggrin.gif
Thank you for your help
smile.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 The 2 Garnier dyes that I know of (Fructisse & 100%) are both Level 3 (permanent) But honestly nothing is really so permanent that you have to wait for it to grow out before it changes. All color will oxidize & lighten and will change a bit over about 1-3 weeks... so if you get something close, you probably won't have a problem. Home kits usually don't have the strength needed in the peroxide to really lighten that much - they are more for depositing color... so start with something that almost matches what you have now - see how that goes, and then you can see how your hair takes to that brand.
icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted by lilla Sounds good
smile.gif
I will get a new box next weekend and try. I will let you know how it turns out
biggrin.gif
Thank you for your help
smile.gif
No problem!
wink.gif
Just try to find something close to what you have to get familiar with it. If you want something different, until you know how your hair reacts to the color I wouldn't go any more than one shade away (lighter or darker) from what your natural color is. *or current color if it is already colored* Good luck & have fun with it!
tongue.gif

thanks, k and wongy!

lizzy, my mom uses garnier futrisse and LOVES it and she's been through lots of brands and this one, in my eyes, is the best she's ever used. i recommend it! i bought it after i checked reviews because she was getting sick of her usual (i think it was l'oreal).

k, i'd kill for black hair! my eyebrows are black, so i don't think it'd look all that bad.

what do you girls think if i went black?

if i used colorspa, the same brand, in ebony, which is a black, how do you think it'd come out?

Originally Posted by Jennifer k, i'd kill for black hair! my eyebrows are black, so i don't think it'd look all that bad.
what do you girls think if i went black?

if i used colorspa, the same brand, in ebony, which is a black, how do you think it'd come out?

Hmmm... I don't think it would look bad - but from here its hard to tell your skin tone. Dark hair looks good on a lot of people, but JET BLACK might be a tad harsh on some unless you were born with it... I would go with dark/darkest brown shades and see how you like that. It will look black in some lighting (especially indoors) but it's not as strong. It's a tad softer - and sometimes more forgiving on people with lighter skin who don't have naturally black hair... but I think Dark brown will give you a good result. (it's the "Espresso" color in the "Color Spa" line) Plus, once you go black, you'd have to strip out a lot of color if you don't like it... which will fry your hair. I'd try dark brown first, but it's up to you! Regardless, dark hair will make your eyes pop!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
PS... dont go by the pic on the box.. it comes out darker IRL (if you decide on the Espresso Color Spa)

hair_12.jpg

Here's the Espresso swatch from the L'Oreal site... this is closer to the result than the pic on the box - but when I used it, it was this color if not a little darker.

PS... If you want to go as dark as mine is... I used Herbal Essences Bold n' Brilliant color in #66

brmc102031.jpg

Once again... results IRL are darker than the box pic.... (see below) But I LOOOOOVE this dye!! It's awesome!

Janelle - what color is your natural hair? I really like the color and I wonder if it would take on my hair too. Right now, I have Espresso (I think that is the name) by Loreal Feria.

Originally Posted by Marisol Janelle - what color is your natural hair? I really like the color and I wonder if it would take on my hair too. Right now, I have Espresso (I think that is the name) by Loreal Feria. My natural color is dark brown... but from sun, color oxidation etc. it keeps lightening up to this reddish color that really doesn't go too well with my skin tone. So, I tend to have to dye it darker to get that original color back. Plus the lighter color doesn't match my dark eyebrows! LOL My eyebrows have never been touch in my life color-wise... so that's pretty much the color my hair is naturally. I think it would take on your hair... from your avatar, your hair is a lot lighter than mine, so It definitely will darken it. The shininess is a combo of the dye, and the Biolage Cera-Repair treatment I did... worked wonders!
wink.gif

Originally Posted by charms23 Janelle, I love your hair! It's so dark and shiny and the color is gorgeous! Now you got me thinking about dyeing my hair! Thanks Charmaine! Yours is like that too!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

janelle, thanks so much!!! espresso's gonna be my next color. thanks again for your help!
smile.gif

Wow Janelle, I love your hair color. It also makes your eyes pop out very beautifully. I am not saying they weren't nice before. What I mean is it makes your eyes very sparkly and lighter. Love it, love it, and can't wait to color mine next weekend
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 PS... If you want to go as dark as mine is... I used Herbal Essences Bold n' Brilliant color in #66
brmc102031.jpg

Once again... results IRL are darker than the box pic.... (see below) But I LOOOOOVE this dye!! It's awesome!

Janelle, I am having the same problem as you with the red coming back. It seems like nothing will work lately. My natural color is sorta like Jennifer stated, not quite brown or dirty blonde. I just had it dyed professionally a darker color, almost a chocolate brown, because I was getting so sick of the redness and 2 weeks later its back to where I was, red again. I can't stand it!!! My eyes are hazel, more green on the outside with a honey brown closer to the pupil, so this color does nothing for me. I'm making one more trip to the salon to try and get rid of this red and if that doesn't work, I'm using the one you posted.

Jennifer, I love the color. You can definitely see a difference. I think it goes well with your skin tone.

Originally Posted by Liz what other brands do you like? i usually use loreal's multi-faceted color dye. but they dont have a brown that i like. Loreal is really good,you should try feria ,there are aome really pretty browns.

Originally Posted by nydoll23 Loreal is really good,you should try feria ,there are aome really pretty browns. that's what i usually use, but it doesn't have the brown i'm looking for now. i do like the whole multi-faceted thing that it has going on.

Your hair looks great Jennifer! Very nice brown. When I saw the the box, I giggled because I just used Colorspa in Tawny, I believe. I love this product and haven't dyed my hair for months and it is gentle and shiny.

Back