I feel ugly without makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love myself without MU but I sure do like I how I look with it. SO I'm with it most of  the time.

MU is art to me and I get to look different each day in my art.

I once got to this point where i felt i needed make up. Because I never wore anything but black eye  liner and even with that i felt i was doing something. But then when I started feeling like I wanted and needed foundation. Instead of buying that, i bought skin care products. Now all I need is to moisturize my face to feel good. And now make up is still something I play with or if Im going out I put some on. I just think we all beat ourselves down so hard including me. I for one wish I can get to the point where I dont think the whole world is looking at what I dont like.

I love how I look with make up, but I'm also ok with how I look without, make up enhances the way you look, but it's still you :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> so if you look pretty with make up it's cuz you are pretty and it only helps you cover certain things that you have no control of, I do have breakouts from time to time and it was a bit bad about 2 years ago, it left spots on my cheeks that now make up helps me cover, I don't think enhancing things makes you fake, it makes you smart ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I usually feel really ugly without makeup too, especially foundation. With stress from school + sleep deprivation, my skin has been terrible and my face is all discolored. It doesn't help when everyone else in my class looks gorg and super put together. I kind of just try to step around it and remind myself that school isn't a beauty contest, and that there's no one in my section I'm trying to get with...LOL. :X

But there are definitely days where, when I have a full face on, people treat me differently than when I....don't haha.

I can relate... I have horrible acne and the only way for me to cover it up is copious amounts of concealer and foundation. 

But I blame it mostly on the media... Looking at photos of heavily made up and retouched models and actresses is bound to make anyone feel like they are not beautiful enough. 

I actually used to hate makeup, I seriously did. I had no use for it and from early one I learned to take care of my skin. 

I did have acne but never to a point where it would ruin my day. So I am very very comfortable with myself without makeup.

But makeup and getting all dressed up is a girls thing so I always felt left out it wasn't until I joined a sorority in college that I grew into myself.

I learned how to be myself my normal no makeup and learn how to emphasize my attributes with makeup. 

My sisters helped me dress up my eyes, cheeks, lips, and helped me become a whole new person. 

I don't see makeup as hiding because I do not like the way I do without it but I love makeup because I feel like I am creating art.

Not sure if that makes any sense but I love that with a little blush my whole face looks youthful and glowing. I love that my eyes look huge when I apply mascara. Its just so fun and relaxing and I love applying makeup. And well now I have so many products I do not see myself using it all up lol.

Do whatever makes you feel beautiful, if you feel beautiful without makeup and you are comfortable then people will notice. If you feel beautiful with makeup on then people will see that as well. I grew to love makeup and "wear" the makeup not the makeup "wearing" me. 

I feel like my makeup face is who I am, and how people see me as, this is my identity, but I know it's false.  I know the eyeliner and mascara and brows and cover up are just making me seem more beautiful than I really am and I feel ugly from the time I take off my makeup at night (9 pm) until I put it back on in the morning at 7 am.   When I'm putting on my makeup in the morning, each step, from covering up blemishes to filling in brows to eyeliner to mascara makes me feel better and better until I'm completely done and I'm content again.  And taking off my makeup at night is almost like taking a part of me with it.  (crazy, I know) I hate that I rely on makeup as much as I do, but I feel like an alien without makeup.   And I feel SO good with makeup and I like how people perceive me as.  I do have BDD so this is probably contributing to some problems. Does anyone feel the same?  
Totally agree 100%. I love getting my face together in the morning. I have a lot of acne scars, (to the point w/o makeup some people mistake them for freks) so I feel so un-confident going out without SOMETHING on my skin. Seeing the finished product of a full face on me is like seeing what i feel like on the inside IRL

I am just quite afraid that my face would get worst if i makeup every day, and i donot even know how to pick a good product for making up. 

For me the first 30 odd years in my life I wore a full face of makeup everyday.  I worked in a professional business where looking good meant the whole shebang everyday. After having major health issues I began to not wear makeup everyday. When I go out now I may use some mascara and lip gloss but that's about it. I do still have days where I do a full face including the false lashes. For me the strange part anymore is when I am in the hospital I always do my makeup, I guess it's my way of making myself feel better while in there. My Cardiologist laughs at me saying I'm using my face to make everything seem better. I've even worn it during a few of my heart surgeries with his permission and that's usually against hospital rules. It's what and who you are inside that counts not what the world thinks. Believe in your true beauty because that is who you really are.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It makes me so sad reading all these comments here.

I guess it's hard for me to talk about this, as someone who's had really horrible cystic acne for the last decade, and has had intermittent bouts of depression for the last five, so my self esteem is in shambles all over the place. It's more like sometimes I hate what I see when I look in the mirror, so regardless of whether or not I think I'm pretty, I don't like myself. Make up makes me feel pretty, but I don't expect other people to htink I'm pretty. I guess there are problems deeper than that.
dito.gif
(just realized this one spells ditto incorrectly).

But tbh, sometimes even wearing makeup doesn't make me feel pretty.

I know I don't need makeup but it definitely enhances what's there. Going without it doesn't break my heart, but piling it on doesn't change my life either.

I hate my skin because I have some pretty bad, dark acne scarring, and honestly, I'm embarrassed by it...so I wear makeup daily (every day that I leave the house, which is at least 6 days/week and usually all 7). I like my makeup to look natural though, so I just use stuff that matches my skin tone pretty much exactly, blend it well, and create a soft finish. The only time I put on anything beyond primer, concealer and foundation is for special events a few times a year.

CharmedImSure,

Hello!

No I don't feel the same as you do. Maybe you should think of it as enhancing your looks. I have seen people that no matter how much makeup they would put on they would still be unattractive. I think you need to have a good canvas to start with. If you look good with makeup then you must look pretty good without it. That's my opinion.

~Lori

Originally Posted by CharmedImSure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel like my makeup face is who I am, and how people see me as, this is my identity, but I know it's false.  I know the eyeliner and mascara and brows and cover up are just making me seem more beautiful than I really am and I feel ugly from the time I take off my makeup at night (9 pm) until I put it back on in the morning at 7 am.  

When I'm putting on my makeup in the morning, each step, from covering up blemishes to filling in brows to eyeliner to mascara makes me feel better and better until I'm completely done and I'm content again.  And taking off my makeup at night is almost like taking a part of me with it.  (crazy, I know)

I hate that I rely on makeup as much as I do, but I feel like an alien without makeup.   And I feel SO good with makeup and I like how people perceive me as.  I do have BDD so this is probably contributing to some problems.

Does anyone feel the same?  
I don't

I like MU but not to cover up. Sure I have blemishes but I dont work very hard to cover them. Im very shy so wearing colorful eyeshadow shows a little of my personality without saying much. I like myself better without it (MU) because I think my skin glows more. MU is a passion but its also an art. I can wake up and fix myself to look like Cleopatra if I want but I dont see it as hiding who I am. MU shouldn't be used to hide who you are, but used as a compliment.

Originally Posted by Mss T /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like MU but not to cover up. Sure I have blemishes but I dont work very hard to cover them. Im very shy so wearing colorful eyeshadow shows a little of my personality without saying much. I like myself better without it (MU) because I think my skin glows more. MU is a passion but its also an art. I can wake up and fix myself to look like Cleopatra if I want but I dont see it as hiding who I am. MU shouldn't be used to hide who you are, but used as a compliment.
That reminds me of something my friend said once:

"I'm like makeup. You don't need me, I just accentuate!"

Some advice.  Make up is good to an extent, but when over done it takes beauty away.  If it's self confidence then try using less each time but tell yourself your wearing the same as usual, therefore keeping your confidence up and other people will see that.

I feel the same way. But I dont pile it on or look fake. People don't notice Im wearing anything but eyeshadow. I feel pale and my family says I look sick without it on haha, it adds some colour to my face. I also am skinny and have a chubby face so I look weird unless I contour. I never used to contour but at least needed some powder FD on to cover some scarring and look more tan. I hate that I cant go out looking natural, the least I can do is powder the face to not look so pale, and curl the lashes (I have half-asian straight lashes lol) and I feel comfortable but not enough to go to school. People are really judgemental which is why so many people are insecure now. 

Originally Posted by stuartj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some advice.  Make up is good to an extent, but when over done it takes beauty away.  If it's self confidence then try using less each time but tell yourself your wearing the same as usual, therefore keeping your confidence up and other people will see that.
I agree. Loving yourself is better than any coverage a foundation can provide.

I felt the same way when I was younger, but as I got older I started to feel more comfortable in my own skin. Some times I don't even mind going out without makeup. With a modeling job on the way in the spring and my work as a beauty consultant you'd think that I'd feel more pressure to look beautiful to others, but it's actually helped make me feel more comfortable with myself. You just have to find the things and people that will help make you feel comfortable with who you are. And as for the BDD, have you ever spoken to a therapist? That may also help change how you view yourself. I hope that some day you can wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and feel like you look beautiful, with and without makeup. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I feel exactly the same!!!! I hate it with passion! i have BDD as well and i just want it to go away and feel pretty w/o makeup for once

Back