I had it with foundations...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems as thought every foundation I try it never works for me. It leaves a line on the buttom of my jaw (which drives me nuts) I have crazy skin, its oily 1 min and then dry the next. The only foundation I truely liked was Estee lauder's foundation not sure which type but it was called Bone, but its really $$ ($32) and I really like Mac's too, but I just dont know anymore. The most horriable foundation I tried was clarins.. yuck! Any suggs for foundations? Please send my way.. heres a picture of "bone" so u know my skin color..

drug store or high end is fine.

I also wear N4 in Studio fix

You'll probably LOVE Bare Escentuals Mineral foundation... there is no jaw-line mismatch what-so-ever! Which is one of the reasons I love it so much! They have a bunch of colors, but you can get something close, it doesn't have to be too exact as it blends really well... and it's a mineral powder, so it doesn't have that telltale sign of "mask makeup" like a liquid does... I would get the starter kit at Ulta ($40) Comes with foundation, warmth (all over color - not a bronzer per say... but it gives you a warm glow) Mineral veil (a translucent setting powder that makes you look radient) the Flawless Application brush, a video and booklet on how to apply and some tips... I think you'll like it!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I have a pic of my collection in my notepad here. I have added a few things... but I got my basics from that kit. (And it lasts so LONG!)

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 You'll probably LOVE Bare Escentuals Mineral foundation... there is no jaw-line mismatch what-so-ever! Which is one of the reasons I love it so much! They have a bunch of colors, but you can get something close, it doesn't have to be too exact as it blends really well... and it's a mineral powder, so it doesn't have that telltale sign of "mask makeup" like a liquid does... I would get the starter kit at Ulta ($40) Comes with foundation, warmth (all over color - not a bronzer per say... but it gives you a warm glow) Mineral veil (a translucent setting powder that makes you look radient) the Flawless Application brush, a video and booklet on how to apply and some tips... I think you'll like it!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
I have a pic of my collection in my notepad here. I have added a few things... but I got my basics from that kit. (And it lasts so LONG!) I tried it and I didnt like it
frown.gif
I went to one to the BE store in St.Louis and they found my color. I was so disapointed bc I always see the comerial. I know there are people that swear by it, but I didnt find it covered very well.
frown.gif
next time I go to Ulta Im gonna check it out anyways. I didnt know they had a kit there, I know they sold it there. thanks Janelle!

It looks like you have very fair skin (like myself), and you will probably just have to try a bunch of different foundations until you get one that matches your skintone enough to not leave a line. I've tried several brands where the lightest color was still too dark for my skin and left a gross orange line! Right now I'm using L'Oreal Mattique Foundation in Soft Ivory and it matches pretty good. Plus it only costs $10 at Wal-Mart.
smile.gif
Also, if you get a foundation that is very close to your skin color but not 100% perfect, sometimes you can get the color to look a little better by applying a powder that does match your skin. For some reason, I have an easier time finding powders light enough for me than foundations!

I have also heard that Prescriptives will mix a foundation for you to fit your skin tone, except I think it costs $65! But if it really works and you want to splurge, maybe it would be worth it!

Originally Posted by itsd2382 I tried it and I didnt like it
frown.gif
I went to one to the BE store in St.Louis and they found my color. I was so disapointed bc I always see the comerial. I know there are people that swear by it, but I didnt find it covered very well.
frown.gif
next time I go to Ulta Im gonna check it out anyways. I didnt know they had a kit there, I know they sold it there. thanks Janelle!

Aww... sorry hun! It works really well on me... but yeah, Ulta has the kit... it's in a pink box - usually on the lower shelf of the BE display. I also like the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse. That is the only other one I've been using. It's really nice too... and pretty cheap !
tongue.gif

Danielle, is it a foundation colour you're having trouble with so rather than foundations? It really is a hit & miss trying to find the perfect foundation for you. I've tried so many (high & low end) and at the moment i'm sticking with Lancome Adaptive but i still would prefer one that lasts longer on my combination skin.

You're best bet would be to go to a store where there are lots of make up counters & ask straight out for samples. Ask the MA's to match the shade to your skin tone. Samples are the way to go sweetie
biggrin.gif

I have 4 foundations that I really like (price rated out of 3):

For everday I use either Stila Sheer Colour TM($$) or Chantecaille real skin($$$).

For evening I use Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation ($$).

For photo opportunities (weddings, birthdays, christenings etc.) I swear by Prescriptives foundation. Precriptives offer lots of different textures and are the only brand I know where the SAs sit down and do a proper colour match test, it's their major selling point. I went because of an offer in Instyle magazine where you got a free lipstick if you had the colour match consultation. I hated the free lippy, but ended up with the foundation! Prescriptives arrange their products into colour families so you can get the lippies, blushes and shadows that work with your skintone family (I don't really go in for that, but it's a great start if you're not that confident and don't know what suits you).

Sorry for the really long post, and no I don't work for prescriptives
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by Lealabell I have 4 foundations that I really like (price rated out of 3):
For everday I use either Stila Sheer Colour TM($$) or Chantecaille real skin($$$).

For evening I use Stila Illuminating Liquid Foundation ($$).

For photo opportunities (weddings, birthdays, christenings etc.) I swear by Prescriptives foundation. Precriptives offer lots of different textures and are the only brand I know where the SAs sit down and do a proper colour match test, it's their major selling point. I went because of an offer in Instyle magazine where you got a free lipstick if you had the colour match consultation. I hated the free lippy, but ended up with the foundation! Prescriptives arrange their products into colour families so you can get the lippies, blushes and shadows that work with your skintone family (I don't really go in for that, but it's a great start if you're not that confident and don't know what suits you).

Sorry for the really long post, and no I don't work for prescriptives
tongue.gif

That's true, Prescriptives does have other foundations (besides the made-special-for-you one I mentioned) that are closer to $30. I used to wear their Traceless foundation because my dermatologist made me, and while it did match my skin, it was a little too sheer for my taste. But I can no longer get Prescriptives in my town so I don't know what their other foundations are like. One nice thing about the brand is that all of their makeup (as far as I know) is non-comedogenic, which means it is much less likely to clog your pores. (Oil-free makeup can still contain other pore-clogging ingredients besides oil.)

And by the way, Maybelline's Dream Matte Mouse also did not come in a light enough shade for me (which made me very sad, because I was hoping to find something that would actually help my oily, shiny face) but since I don't know your *exact* color you may still be able to get it to work for you. Most girls say it blends very nicely so if you can find the right color maybe you can get rid of that line!

Trisha, which foundation do you use?

Originally Posted by Trisha The foundations that I have used in the past (& use now) are expensive, so I can't really advise you, but hope you find something suitable for you Danielle!
Luv Trisha x

I really like Benefit's Non-Fiction foundation. It's got a wide range of shades, Volume One will be good for you if you are "bone", because I am also "bone" from Estee Lauder. I used to buy that stuff too! I would go to the Lauder counter and tell the SA to "Bone me" and she would laugh. So anyway, Volume One is light enough for me and it's got sheer to med coverage, gives a refreshing feel to the skin. If you want to try something less expensive, try out the Cover Girl Continuous wear in Ivory, it's really light in color, a little more coverage, I use it when I go out sometimes for a flawless look.

Thanks Trisha!

Originally Posted by Trisha These are them and the prices:
Chantecaille Future Skin £45

Chantecaille Total Concealer £30

Chantecaille Loose Powder £42

But i must say, these are the 1st fndt products Ive ever repurchased!! I love them!! x

Latest posts

Back