Quantcast

If you are in a relationship...

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
If you are in a relationship, how did you and your significant other meet? I always think it's fun to hear other people's stories! (hehe, I am watching "Perfect Proposal" on TLC right now, maybe that's what inspired this thread!)

Well for us, the short version of the story is that I was working for my husband's mom on a summer internship and she set us up! If you care to read the long version of the story, though, here it is:

During the summer between finishing my undergraduate degree and starting graduate school, I was at a summer internship. It was my second summer at the same job, working for the same woman. I didn't meet my husband during the first summer because he was away at school, but during my first week of the second summer his mom introduced us and he asked me on a date 3 days later!

The funny part is that my husband had also just graduated and was only planning on being home for 2 weeks then was going to move to another city to find a job. So I was just planning on going on a few dates with him for fun and wasn't expecting it to lead to anything. But for some reason he never left
and after a month of dating, he said he wanted to move the city where I was going to start grad school in August! That surprised me because I didn't realize that he was that serious about me! So about we spent the rest of the summer together then we both moved to the new city -- and he was fortunate enough to find an apartment (even though it's a huge college town and most of the apartments were already taken by students that late in the summer) and even found a job after only 2 weeks! Maybe that was just another sign that it was meant to be!
(Actually there were a lot more "coincidences" involved in our first meeting which I won't go in to -- basically by the time we met, we had both reached points in our lives where we were confident with ourselves and were mature enough to consider marriage! I am actually glad we didn't meet during my first summer internship just because of where I was in my life then!)

4 months to day of our first date he proposed, and we got married 9 months later!


 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
awww, that's so cute! i love reading stories like that, too. i'm so happy for you and the fact you're so in love and happy


i met my boyfriend through my best friend. my best friend's boyfriend is good friends with my boyfriend. we started talking and everything right away after the first night we met in manhattan (i really need to remember which street it was where we had our first kiss, but i can't!). now, one year and 9 months later, he makes me sick
LMAO

 
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
899
Reaction score
0
Cute stories!


I met my bf in Law School. On the third and last day of orientation, they were serving Chinese lunch. The line was long and I didn't want to wait that long so I went to cut in front of this girl that I has a class with in undergraduate school. She was talking to this other guy, so I declared, "I'm going to cut in front of Connie and... (peering at his name tag) Adrian." He laughed and then we were talking about things. He is from a town in Hawaii up on the North Shore and I made a face at him because of it and said that I would never date a guy from that town.
I wasn't interested in him at the time though. Didn't have a thought about anything like that!

Over the course of the next two weeks, we became pretty good friends. I would call him up quite frequently and we would go together to meet other law students at the club, etc., but I still wasn't interested in him. By this time, however, our classmates started teasing us about each other because we did show up to many things together.

One night, I went to pick him up from his house so to go to some bars and meet up with other people. It was a VERY hot night and when I arrived at his house, he was outside without his shirt on. Well, talk about HOT and my interest was sparked. By the end of the night, I was drunk so he asked me in to sober up before I went home. Then we ended up kissing. And we've been together now for a year and a half.


 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Aww, I love these kind of stories.

My BF Steve and I met working on the set of an independent film. He was the camera assistant & I was the makeup artist.

I remember seeing him for the first time and thinking "Ooh, he's cute. But I bet he's married and is probably going to end up showing me pictures of his newborn baby at lunch." I don't know why I thought this, but I guess it's just cuz he gives off this family man vibe.
Then I found out he was single & the same age as me (23, surprise!). But I was very guarded, because just three days prior to meeting Steve, I had ended things with this jacka$$ I had been seeing for about a month. I was kind of angry at all men in general (lol) and was like "Why is this guy being nice to me? He only wants to get some! He should leave me alone! What a flirt!"

Well, after about two weeks of working and getting to know him, I realized "Oh wait... he actually IS a nice guy. Oops."


After the film finished shooting, Steve went back home to Arizona. But we would talk on the phone every day for hours and admitted our feelings over the phone. A week later, he drove back out to Los Angeles to see visit and that's when everything was official. He actually ended up getting a job here, working for the film's production company. We've been together for 8 months now.


 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by wongy74 It was a VERY hot night and when I arrived at his house, he was outside without his shirt on. Well, talk about HOT and my interest was sparked. lol!
That cracked me up!
Sounds like everyone has fun stories! I think it's funny how many girls think they don't like someone then end up changing their minds!


 
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
5,115
Reaction score
0
I love this kind of stories too


I met my husband over 15 years ago! My best friend from the university I was studying literature was meeting this guy and she didn't want to go alone so she invited me. The guy whom she was going to meet didn't want to come alone either so he brought his friend. His friend and I clicked right away and started to date a week later. He proposed 2 months later, got married a year after we met. We have been married over 14 years. Whaaaa
I feel old! Oh well, I have pretty makeup though! lol!


 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by lilla Oh well, I have pretty makeup though! lol!
that made me laugh. that was so random! LMAO
aw, cute stories, everyone


 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Should I dare say it??? I met my bf ... ONLINE!
I had broken up with my ex... and was just chatting with people online to take my mind off it - hung out w/ a few people, nothing special... Then one day I get an IM from someone who's screen name had "Holbrook" in it (the next town over from me) so even though I was kinda bored w/ online people at this point, I figured I'd answer it b/c maybe I knew the guy or went to school with him. Well, I didn't know him - he was 4 yrs. older than me and he actually lived about 25 min. away but had a truck shop in Holbrook. He said he was searching profiles for people with similar interests who lived nearby & found me (Lucky me! LOL
) He sent me a Blurry pic... so I really had no clue what he looked like, but we talked online all the time... and then started talking on the phone - for hours at a time (Now I cant keep him on the phone for more than 2min.... the phony! lol) Anyway... we eventually met up in person, and have been together everyday since! Just passed the 4 year mark last month.
Now I can say that MOST of the guy I met is still here... the other stuff I think he was just doing the online b/s to reel me in (hour long phone calls, "oh I'm a romantic guy" etc.) LMAO - but I guess finding someone online is possible! Or sometimes you should just SHUT IT OFF! LOL
 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Should I dare say it??? I met my bf ... ONLINE!
I had broken up with my ex... and was just chatting with people online to take my mind off it - hung out w/ a few people, nothing special... Then one day I get an IM from someone who's screen name had "Holbrook" in it (the next town over from me) so even though I was kinda bored w/ online people at this point, I figured I'd answer it b/c maybe I knew the guy or went to school with him. Well, I didn't know him - he was 4 yrs. older than me and he actually lived about 25 min. away but had a truck shop in Holbrook. He said he was searching profiles for people with similar interests who lived nearby & found me (Lucky me! LOL
) He sent me a Blurry pic... so I really had no clue what he looked like, but we talked online all the time... and then started talking on the phone - for hours at a time (Now I cant keep him on the phone for more than 2min.... the phony! lol) Anyway... we eventually met up in person, and have been together everyday since! Just passed the 4 year mark last month.
Now I can say that MOST of the guy I met is still here... the other stuff I think he was just doing the online b/s to reel me in (hour long phone calls, "oh I'm a romantic guy" etc.) LMAO - but I guess finding someone online is possible! Or sometimes you should just SHUT IT OFF! LOL
lol! Whenever I hear of online dating I always think of my roommate my freshman year of college -- she spent her entire time online chatting with random guys, and every 2 weeks she'd claim she was "dating" a new guy she'd never met! (And yes, she got a D or an F in all of her classes that semester!)
However, when I was planning my wedding and visiting wedding planning forums, I talked to a lot of girls who had met their fiances online so it does happen!


 
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
10,844
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by girl_geek lol! Whenever I hear of online dating I always think of my roommate my freshman year of college -- she spent her entire time online chatting with random guys, and every 2 weeks she'd claim she was "dating" a new guy she'd never met! (And yes, she got a D or an F in all of her classes that semester!)
However, when I was planning my wedding and visiting wedding planning forums, I talked to a lot of girls who had met their fiances online so it does happen!


Yeah - seems a lot more common now than it did 4 years ago - I begged my friend to come meet him with me, but she bailed on me last minute & I had to brave it alone...
Luckily he wasn't a wacko (at least too much anyway! LOL
)

 
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
1,164
Reaction score
0
I met my man 2 years before I even paid any attention to him. He was the camera guy on a shoot I was on. Funny thing was I had a "fling" with his best friend for a quick minute. A year later, my man and I started doing some business together and he would always flirt with me asking when I would let him take me out. I would always laugh it off cuz I never ever thought of him in that way at all. I was so used to dating high profile types that this guy was such a nerd to me-behind the scenes guy who can always be found in front of his computers. He never went out and nobody knew who the hell he was, so I figured there was no way I could ever date this guy-he'd never be able to keep up with me.

One day after about six months of trying to chase me down he called me and I happened to be home with no plans to go anywhere. I told him I had just cooked dinner and rented some movies, so if he really wanted to see me he'd have to come over and just chill out with me and my son. I think what struck me was that even with the type of business we were both in, he never once tried anything physical with me. In fact, I think I was the one who made the first move. All he ever did was give me a peck on the cheek and I was so taken aback by it that here we are more than a year later and we have the strongest relationship I know of to date.

 
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by envymi I met my man 2 years before I even paid any attention to him. He was the camera guy on a shoot I was on. Funny thing was I had a "fling" with his best friend for a quick minute. A year later, my man and I started doing some business together and he would always flirt with me asking when I would let him take me out. I would always laugh it off cuz I never ever thought of him in that way at all. I was so used to dating high profile types that this guy was such a nerd to me-behind the scenes guy who can always be found in front of his computers. He never went out and nobody knew who the hell he was, so I figured there was no way I could ever date this guy-he'd never be able to keep up with me. One day after about six months of trying to chase me down he called me and I happened to be home with no plans to go anywhere. I told him I had just cooked dinner and rented some movies, so if he really wanted to see me he'd have to come over and just chill out with me and my son. I think what struck me was that even with the type of business we were both in, he never once tried anything physical with me. In fact, I think I was the one who made the first move. All he ever did was give me a peck on the cheek and I was so taken aback by it that here we are more than a year later and we have the strongest relationship I know of to date.

Awww, I like that story Envymi. I think guys who move slowly & respectfully like that are definitely ones to keep around!
 
Joined
Mar 18, 2005
Messages
177
Reaction score
0
I met my husband on New Year's Eve 1988. We had a party at my house and my cousins (all guys) were there. One of them went to buy more beer and met up with some other friends and invited them up to the house. Only one of the friends came. (my hubby Mike) Another friend had come over earlier in the night with them and started hitting on so bad. He was drunk and acting stupid so I started talking to Mike. Well we seem to hit it off. I remember after everyone left hearing his car pass twice and thought what is he doing. I found his number in the phone book and called him b/c I wanted to know about their other friend. One night he was drinking and called me to tell me he was interested in me. We went out and after 3 weeks he proposed. We waited and married 4 years later and have been together ever since. It's funny b/c he said the first night that he met me he knew I would be his wife and that he had saw two children walking behind me when I was walking into the house the first night he met me. He saw a girl who was the oldest and a boy was behind her that was a lot younger. So far two things I have come true. Waiting on the boy!
 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
everyone's stories are ADORABLE! some of them i can't believe they proposed so early, which is just the sweetest. everyone seems so happy


Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Should I dare say it??? I met my bf ... ONLINE!
I had broken up with my ex... and was just chatting with people online to take my mind off it - hung out w/ a few people, nothing special... Then one day I get an IM from someone who's screen name had "Holbrook" in it (the next town over from me) so even though I was kinda bored w/ online people at this point, I figured I'd answer it b/c maybe I knew the guy or went to school with him. Well, I didn't know him - he was 4 yrs. older than me and he actually lived about 25 min. away but had a truck shop in Holbrook. He said he was searching profiles for people with similar interests who lived nearby & found me (Lucky me! LOL
) He sent me a Blurry pic... so I really had no clue what he looked like, but we talked online all the time... and then started talking on the phone - for hours at a time (Now I cant keep him on the phone for more than 2min.... the phony! lol) Anyway... we eventually met up in person, and have been together everyday since! Just passed the 4 year mark last month.
Now I can say that MOST of the guy I met is still here... the other stuff I think he was just doing the online b/s to reel me in (hour long phone calls, "oh I'm a romantic guy" etc.) LMAO - but I guess finding someone online is possible! Or sometimes you should just SHUT IT OFF! LOL
janelle, back in '99, i met this guy online and we talked for about a year and then told each other we had feelings and we lasted 2.5 years. he lived 1.5 hours away from me, but we saw each other 2-3 times a week, which was perfect. i never told anyone we met online because no one would understand, but once my friends met him and saw how serious we were, i told them and they couldn't believe it!
 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Sweet stories! I've always respected guys that are slow to get physical, that shows they want more from me than just physical pleasure!

As for proposing so soon, well for us, we knew that God had brought us together for a reason and once we knew, why wait?
And actually, no one was surprised when we got engaged -- everyone knew we'd get married, but most people had expected him to wait until Christmas to propose and were just a little surprised that he proposed 3 months earlier, in October. Actually, I was even shocked that he proposed so early, because we had not discussed marriage at all (he later told me he wanted to surprise me; well he succeeded!) -- but just a few hours before he proposed, I had told my mom on the phone, "Oh, he'd never propose anytime soon because I'm so busy with school and we haven't been dating long, so there's no need for me to think about marriage yet!" Well I had to think about it in a hurry! lol But seriously, the closer we got to the wedding the more I knew that we were doing the right thing -- kind of the opposite of "cold feet"!

Although when I hear of short proposals/engagements, I remember this story than an elderly couple told me at a church I used to go to -- they met on a blind date, he proposed a few days later, and they were married 3 weeks after they met! And 40 years later they are still the sweetest couple!


 
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
22,240
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by girl_geek Sweet stories! I've always respected guys that are slow to get physical, that shows they want more from me than just physical pleasure!
As for proposing so soon, well for us, we knew that God had brought us together for a reason and once we knew, why wait?
And actually, no one was surprised when we got engaged -- everyone knew we'd get married, but most people had expected him to wait until Christmas to propose and were just a little surprised that he proposed 3 months earlier, in October. Actually, I was even shocked that he proposed so early, because we had not discussed marriage at all (he later told me he wanted to surprise me; well he succeeded!) -- but just a few hours before he proposed, I had told my mom on the phone, "Oh, he'd never propose anytime soon because I'm so busy with school and we haven't been dating long, so there's no need for me to think about marriage yet!" Well I had to think about it in a hurry! lol But seriously, the closer we got to the wedding the more I knew that we were doing the right thing -- kind of the opposite of "cold feet"!

Although when I hear of short proposals/engagements, I remember this story than an elderly couple told me at a church I used to go to -- they met on a blind date, he proposed a few days later, and they were married 3 weeks after they met! And 40 years later they are still the sweetest couple!


how sweet!
you're so happily married. i'm so happy for you because you seem like you deserve it


 
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Jennifer how sweet!
you're so happily married. i'm so happy for you because you seem like you deserve it


Aww, thank you!
ace:
 

Latest posts

Top