Ingrown hair and shaving

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have kind of a dumb question.

What is the best way to prevent ingrown hair while shaving in the bikini area.

I try to exfoliate before shaving. Should I do that before or after.

Is their a certain kind of shaving cream that works well for that?

JMR

Originally Posted by jmrut22

I have kind of a dumb question.What is the best way to prevent ingrown hair while shaving in the bikini area.

JMR

I get this too, but not in my bikini area LOL. But on my face/neck. Dammit, these things hurt. I have a pretty heavy beard too. What happens to me is that, I get them a few days after I shave. NOt always tho. I have no idea on how to stop them

Originally Posted by Naturally

I would make sure you exfoliate before that should lessen them ..and then a day or so after. Ingrown hairs are those that are blocked by skin and they get aggrevated underneath ..causing pain and irritation. Also ..try dry skin brushing ..yes ...even YOU Tony ..can brush your face with a natural bristle brush ..that will also help circulation and dead skin issues ..thus ingrown hairs.
I know they have creams out for just that ..but not sure what's in them and how/why they work.

Actually i should have clarified that they are not ingrown, but rather infected hair folicles. When the hair DOES comeout, it's a short little stubby one that is WAY thick. takes it weeks to come out tho...

Oh goodness ,thankfully i dont get those,but great advice on how to help the prob
claps.gif
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Naturally

Try something that has Tea Tree oil in it Tony ...Tea Tree is a fabulous natural anti-biotic...really good at killing stuff ..especially infections! Seriously look into something with glycolic acids in it too ..toners, washes ..creams ..those will also help ..especially on the face area ..not sure about the bikini area ..might be TOO sensitive.

Ahh I barely wash my body and you expect me to do all that?? LOLOLOL hahahahah

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Ahh I barely wash my body and you expect me to do all that?? LOLOLOL hahahahah
ok tony,you barely wash your bod,thats it mister,march your butt right into the ocean and cleanse yourself,lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

i use aveeno shave creme w/oatmeal and make sure to shave in the direction of hair growth - not against the grain. this should help to minimize in-grown hairs.

Originally Posted by jmrut22 I have kind of a dumb question.What is the best way to prevent ingrown hair while shaving in the bikini area.

JMR

great advice kim!

Originally Posted by Naturally EEWWWWW ...P.U Tony! Why are MEN the worst for taking care of their skin? LOL
Here's something else:

Tips to Prevent Ingrown Hairs

Shave with an electric razor (if possible)

Wash the skin before shaving.

Shave in the same direction each time.

Use an acne cream made with salicylic acid on the days that you do not shave

Use shaving cream

Shave in the direction of the hair growth.

Do not shave against the grain

For men, downwards on cheeks, chin and moustache area, upwards on the neck.

For women, dowards on the legs, underarms and bikini area

Tea tree oil is great for ingrown hairs. Just dab it on areas immediately after shaving or waxing. There's also something called Tend Skin that works great on men and women.

Originally Posted by nydoll23

ok tony,you barely wash your bod,thats it mister,march your butt right into the ocean and cleanse yourself,lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif

LMAO GWEN!!! hahahaha ok ok ok, I'll scrub it soon.

Yes, Tend Skin does work. I use it and it has prevented those nasty ingrown hairs. I always thought they were huge pimples and could not figure out why I was getting them.

Kim, I have a question. My fiance has very nice arms, and he shaves them. The problem is that he gets infected ingrown hairs and they scab up. I tried getting him some medicated shave cream for men, but it doesn't seem to be working. The other problem is he saves right over them (OUCH! EEW!). I've broken him of that habit(don't ask me how
icon_cheesygrin.gif
), but what can he use to clear up his arms?

Originally Posted by Naturally EEWWWWW ...P.U Tony! Why are MEN the worst for taking care of their skin? LOL
Here's something else:

Tips to Prevent Ingrown Hairs

Shave with an electric razor (if possible)

Wash the skin before shaving.

Shave in the same direction each time.

Use an acne cream made with salicylic acid on the days that you do not shave

Use shaving cream

Shave in the direction of the hair growth.

Do not shave against the grain

For men, downwards on cheeks, chin and moustache area, upwards on the neck.

For women, dowards on the legs, underarms and bikini area

Originally Posted by BlueLily

Kim, I have a question. My fiance has very nice arms, and he shaves them. The problem is that he gets infected ingrown hairs and they scab up. I tried getting him some medicated shave cream for men, but it doesn't seem to be working. The other problem is he saves right over them (OUCH! EEW!). I've broken him of that habit(don't ask me how
icon_cheesygrin.gif
), but what can he use to clear up his arms?

Shaves his arms? Let's see what Kim has to say

Tony, yeah sounds funny I know. He use to log trees for a living and started shaving cuz of the sap getting into the hair on his arms. But I liked it so much that he kept doing it, and now he likes it so we are both hooked.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Shaves his arms? Let's see what Kim has to say

Originally Posted by BlueLily

Tony, yeah sounds funny I know. He use to log trees for a living and started shaving cuz of the sap getting into the hair on his arms. But I liked it so much that he kept doing it, and now he likes it so we are both hooked.
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh ok, I really wasn't laughing at ya. ((HUGS)) Just wondering why...

Oh I know, I just realize that it sounds funny- a man who shaves his arms. I use to tease him about it, lol!

Originally Posted by Tony(admin) Oh ok, I really wasn't laughing at ya. ((HUGS)) Just wondering why...

There is also a home recipe for tendskin:

5.5 oz. alcohol

2.5 oz. witch hazel

28 aspirin

:icon_love

my bf hates body hair. lol. he always jokes around about wanting to jump in a tub of Nair or Veet. lol!

sometimes i can get ingrown hair, especially on my right under arm
frown.gif
i don't know how to fix it.

I get ingrowns too and they are ugly and embarrassing. Here's what I have found that works......

I exfoliate before shaving or waxing. Everyday after I shave or wax I scrub with Benefit's Bionic Blast Scrub. It contains 2% salcylic acid that exfoliates for you and kills bacteria. Once in a while I will spot treat with TendSkin. Hope this helps!

where can you get tend skin???

charms: ingrown hairs are hairs that can't get through your skin and it end giving you bumps and sometimes getting infected.

Latest posts

Back