Ipsy Science: AKA How on Earth did you get that bag, girlfriend?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh no, I hope your bag arrives soon! That is crazy!  (and quick question for my theory on a certain age range getting the scrub... Have you updated your quiz, where they now ask for your birthday instead of an age range?)
Yes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I re-do the quiz every month due to paranoia of ipsy bag non-perfection! Haha

Originally Posted by fadingsuns3ts /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh no, I hope your bag arrives soon! That is crazy!  (and quick question for my theory on a certain age range getting the scrub... Have you updated your quiz, where they now ask for your birthday instead of an age range?)
Yes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I re-do the quiz every month due to paranoia of ipsy bag non-perfection! Haha

Oh gosh... me too! (on both Ipsy and Birchbox!)  I just did a major overhaul on Ipsy, took 10 years off my age (think they'll notice? 
wink.gif
) and changed my styles to "natural" and "club-goer"...  Running through meadows by day, dancing my shoes off all night!  That is totally... not my life.  But if it gets me the Ipsy variations I want, I'm all for it!

I'm guessing the scrub was more based on skin concerns than age. I lopped off 15 years, fair skin, classic, no hair concerns, dry sensitive skin, and in faves I only chose eyeshadows, mascara, eyeliner, lipstick, lipgloss and BB cream. It's been working well to suit me.

Another bit of advice fwiw......don't change your profile constantly, you change at wrong time you'll get a default. Also narrow in more, too many chosen styles and types just begs for a random bag. HTH!

this is what Ipsy wrote to me about their matching

" The ipsyMatch algorithm works by taking your answers and inputting into an equation to select the BEST match for you out of all the possible combinations your answers gave. This means that the more answers you give - in other words, the more items you selected per page of the quiz - the more combinations the algorithm has to choose from. Because of this, we find the highest rate of success when users have narrowed down their choices to around 1 to 2 per page (3 if you absolutely must).

You are also correct in that it does have to do with the styles you like. Beyond just the ipsyMatch algorithm, we do take into consideration your product reviews, the looks you've liked, etc.

Please keep in mind that again, even if you do everything within your power to adjust your profile and activities accordingly, we still cannot guarantee you will not receive a product. This is because every month, we generally have 1 to 2 items in our Glam Bags that all subscribers get, not matter what - for example, all subscribers received the BH Cosmetics eyeshadow pallet in their July Glam Bags, regardless of whether or not they had selected eyeshadow in the quiz."

So, the key is not to select too many items on the same page if you are really particular about certain items. 

I also think that certain colors might be tied into your eye and hair color as well.  I have green eyes and I got the purple CAILYN eyeliner - purple makes green eyes pop!  Well, not out of your head, but makes them more vibrant.  I would think iron is great for blue and brown eyed ladies (I also have iron, because I did a swap for something else)

I think with August's bag, the only thing that I really wanted (mica eyeshadow) was not in my bag, but a BB cream was (of which I did not select in my profile).  So, some things are still not quite "right", but I have to say, I have enjoyed my Ipsy's bags very much since I started to subscribe.  I hope that trend continues.

I am not sure age matters.  I have a few friends on ipsy and we are between 40 and 60 years old (yes, some of us older ladies love our makeup!!)  and we get some products that are similar and some that aren't.  I am not sure if taking years off your profile will help - what is that supposed to accomplish?  I am confused here...

I just signed up for my second Ipsy bag so I am re-taking the quiz for each profile over and over trying to ensure that I may get 2 different bgas. I am getting a headache! Lol. I am curious, girls with more than one bag: Did you give your profiles different ages? Different skin and hair types? I am not sure if I should, becuase although i want to try some different things and hopefully get different shades, I DO want things that will work for my age, skin etc.  not sure what else I should do...

Latest posts

Back