January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in! I was planning a replacement only no buy for the majority of 2015, but I doubt I will need to replace anything in the first months. I also want to challenge all of you to not run out the days after christmas and buy a ton of stuff in the sales as a pre no buy haul ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Finish eight by easter sounds like a great idea btw! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@Huds  Reminds me of the "last" binge before starting a diet.

ETA: I think I will use the time after Christmas and before New Years Eve to sort out my entire hoard. Anything crusty, musty, dusty, or otherwise old enough to be a possible health hazard, must be trashed. My exception will be powder products since they last forever for me.

I think doing a clean-out will help me be more focused and organized during the No-Buy Challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've sorted out all my stuff, and i'm literally giving away hundreds of makeup and beauty items. i still have a lot - but not too much anymore, and it's good! i've been putting all of our expenses (normal living expenses, which is not a lot; but also gift expenses, which is a lot) in my credit card for a couple of months now (except rent), so that we can have cash for our trip (which is in 3 weeks, i've packed 2 out of our 4 check in bags already, 50 lbs each!) so far we've raised about 2.5K. but that also means credit card debt (thankfully, i'm not paying interest til may 2015). my first goal is to pay off that debt before spending again. i have things i legitimately 'need', like a pair of booties - my only pair broke (anyone know how to reshape a misshapen leather booties? the toe part is all bent and it won't straighten out. i think it got wet.). but cc debt is the priority. my goal is to have everything paid for by feb 15, and this is totally doable as long as i don't binge-spend again. my goal would then be to not spend any money shopping until feb 15. i'm gonna even try to start this no-buy today. i'm done buying gifts, and really, it won't fit in our luggage anymore. and personal stuff, well we all don't need any more, do we? 

so yeah, again, my goal is no buy until feb 15, until all my cc debt is paid for. sorry for the long preface. haha. but that was my thought process. i will definitely consider no-buy-ing until after that to complete the 100 days. but baby steps..  :rolleyes:

I don't know if any you ladies would be interested in doing this with me, but I'm going to be doing minimalistbeauty's 33 days of Decluttering 100 items. The goal is to get rid of 3 items every day that you'll either sell, give away, or trash, and by the end of the challenge, you'll have cleared out 100 things - it's a slow way to declutter that doesn't feel overwhelming. 

I don't know if any you ladies would be interested in doing this with me, but I'm going to be doing minimalistbeauty's 33 days of Decluttering 100 items. The goal is to get rid of 3 items every day that you'll either sell, give away, or trash, and by the end of the challenge, you'll have cleared out 100 things - it's a slow way to declutter that doesn't feel overwhelming. 
This sounds like such a great idea! When are you starting? Are you de-cluttering anything and everything or just beauty and cosmetic items? Maybe there should be a thread so we can post our 3 items everyday  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This sounds like such a great idea! When are you starting? Are you de-cluttering anything and everything or just beauty and cosmetic items? Maybe there should be a thread so we can post our 3 items everyday  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I started a new thread for it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm starting this off today, since I'm really excited and my home is in dire need of decluttering.

I started a new thread for it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm starting this off today, since I'm really excited and my home is in dire need of decluttering.
Awesome! I will be joining you for sure... my home is also in need of de-cluttering big time. Off to purge some items.

I'm in too. Love this idea!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My rules will be:

1) No purchases of make up, skin care, body care or perfume can be made after January 1st. The only exception will be my birthday (which is in January) as I have set aside $100 for myself to purchase whatever I want. The end of the 100 days will then be pushed to Saturday, April 11th for me.

2) Try to use up as many perfume and skin care samples as possible - I will be shooting for 3 per week.

3) I can keep my existing subscription to Ipsy and since I have no interest in subscribing to anything else, that won't be a problem.

4) Do a project pan from January 1st until March 31st where I will challenged myself to use up 20 items which will consist of 10 make up and 10 skin/body care products.

5) Use at least one product a week that I have been "saving". I agree with everything that has been said about this! For some reason I buy limited edition or "fancy" products then just use them for special occasions or don't use them at all cause I'm afraid they will run out... which is ridiculous! This is going to change. 

I'm very excited to start this challenge.  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm in! Here are my rules for now:

-Atttempt the 100-day no-buy... I may rethink this and allow myself a $20/month budget

-Continue following along with the Project Pan thread and posting my progress

-I have two prepaid subs, so those will keep me occupied with some new items

-Use up my insane sample stash; I will aim to use at least 3 each week

Woo! I'm excited to start.

I want to be in on this. It is going to take a lot of mental power to get through the 100 day no buy, but I really want to save money for less products and more experience-type activities.

My rules:

1. No makeup purchase, replacement only with skincare, and only when I am out of samples to use

2. No new sub boxes, can keep birchbox and popsugar if there are good deals and I like the spoilers

3. Reduce the number of products I have in anticipation of moving next year, Use them up, Trash, Swap, Sell when appropriate

Will report back on how I am doing periodically.

If you can muster up the courage to put all of your foils in a ziploc bag and either donate them somewhere or just plain throw them away...I highly suggest it! I threw away a bag of foils the other week and I can't say I regret it at one bit. Honestly I would never take foils to use traveling and one use isn't enough for me to make a purchase decision, so away they went. (Unless they would help your willpower getting through 100 days! I just think it was a good de-stash method for me.)

I am totally joining! I posted on the project pan thread about basically doing a 365 project pan for next year as well as a no/low-buy, but what you wrote hit home SO closely! We invest in these nice things and then never touch them...that doesn't seem right. So I will also join in making more of an effort. Here's a few things:

1. Paint my nails, while giving them a day between paint jobs to get some oxygen. I have like 80+ nail polish bottles of colors I LOVE. Guess who hasn't painted her nails for ages? first time in months was a week ago. So the goal is to get some use out of those nail polish items.

2. Along with my no/low buy, a goal next year is to actually use my nicer items. I have some beautiful palettes and items gifted to me by my hubby that I don't wear because of the "saving it for a special occasion" or even just "I'm project panning, so I can't incorporate these." Those things are silly and I don't want my husband's gifts to go to waste.

3. Do a weekly spa day for myself at home. Just something to pamper myself with and take more care of my well being. 

4. Do a no-buy. I had originally intended it to be a low buy but..honestly, I am pretty well stocked in all areas of the beauty and skincare categories. I think if I were to need to buy anything it would be shampoo or mascara (drugstore only) since I don't ever keep more than one or two mascaras and my hair/scalp only likes one shampoo, so it's not like I have a back pile of those. Everything else is officially forbidden to buy.

I will not be purging items, since I only got into makeup a bit over two years ago and none of my items smell funky or are off. I don't keep a lot of cream things. I'm much more of a powder makeup kinda gal, so right now there's nothing I need to toss (all things that needed to be tossed by this point have already exited my stash), which means no making myself excuses either of "oh, but i tossed this so I can buy this." -- I will toss/gift forward if something goes off or is not working on me, but honestly, I spent a TON of money on this stuff so I might as well enjoy it if they work well, instead of saving it for special occasions. I don't have anything in my collection that I don't like, so there's that. 

If you can muster up the courage to put all of your foils in a ziploc bag and either donate them somewhere or just plain throw them away...I highly suggest it! I threw away a bag of foils the other week and I can't say I regret it at one bit. Honestly I would never take foils to use traveling and one use isn't enough for me to make a purchase decision, so away they went. (Unless they would help your willpower getting through 100 days! I just think it was a good de-stash method for me.)
That's a great idea! I think I'm going to go do that right now, since I think the women's shelter nearby can really use things like that. I'll take deluxe sizes with me when I travel, but the little foils are kind of a fuss and honestly, not worth the time and effort since you don't get much out of them anyway and there's not enough in there to really get a good idea of how the product works. I think I'll go ahead and toss in all of my little perfume vials as well since I never wear them.

i've recently sorted out all my foils, and i've been using them a lot more now! i put all the day moisturizers in a birchbox, and i haven't bought a new moisturizer yet (even though my clinique one is out). i've just been using one foil per day. i still have hundreds so no need to buy a new moisturizer yet. if the foil has more than enough product for a single use, i just use it on my hands. that way i don't have to store opened foils. this system works pretty well for me. i did the same thing for night creams, serums, masks, and eye creams. 

As soon as I saw this thread, I knew I had to be in! 100 days just has such a good ring to it, and will certainly make me feel accomplished. I've lost control of myself these last couple of months with makeup spending, and really need to reign it in. I don't know why I feel like "I must have that". There are only so many days in a year, and realistically, with all the stuff I have I'll only get a chance to wear any new items a few times a year. I have to keep reminding myself that I only have one face!

It's also gotten to the point where a lot of skin care that I have stashed is starting to go bad, and it's bumming me out. Some of that stuff was really expensive! So to keep in line with the notion of not "saving" special things, I'm moving all my fancier items to the front of the line, and going to try to work through them next year. (Though I have so much it will probably take way longer than that.)

I don't really have a lot of rules for myself -- just no buying for 100 days! I do have Birchbox, Sample Society, and Popsugar (already prepaid), and that should be more than enough stuff. And occasionally I participate in the L'Oreal Consumer Testing Program, so I'm ok with getting the free stuff.

I can't imagine I will run out of anything. I even have like 10 deodorants in the wings, so won't even need that.

And I think I'll participate in the 33 days of decluttering too!

I would like to join as well! I've given away a bunch of stuff, so my collection is an okay size for me for right now. I still am buying things, though, and I don't want it to get out of hand again. 

My rules:

1. Buy only replacements (and only if they are something I actually need)

2. Cancel my one subscription in December

3. Participate in project panning

I'm also going to think about doing a pan that palette challenge in 2015.

I would like to join as well! I've given away a bunch of stuff, so my collection is an okay size for me for right now. I still am buying things, though, and I don't want it to get out of hand again. 

My rules:

1. Buy only replacements (and only if they are something I actually need)

2. Cancel my one subscription in December

3. Participate in project panning

I'm also going to think about doing a pan that palette challenge in 2015.
I'm also doing a pan that palette challenge in 2015. What palette are you thinking of panning? I think I'm going to pan the original Urban Decay Naked palette.

I'm also doing a pan that palette challenge in 2015. What palette are you thinking of panning? I think I'm going to pan the original Urban Decay Naked palette.
I wanted to try something easy(ish), so I don't get discouraged. I was thinking maybe one of the naked basics palettes. 

I definitely need to join in on this! My collection is just.....ugh. I really don't need half the amount that I have. I don't even wear makeup every day (I work from home so there is really no point) and yet I have so much stuff!! I need to focus on using what I have and working through my stash and this will definitely help.

My rules:

1. I am allowed to keep my 2 subs (Birchbox and Starlooks but I'm on the fence about canceling Starlooks.)

2. I can buy replacements IF I do not have anything else in my stash to use (Only things I can see me needing are toner and eyebrow pencil because I only have 1 of each).

3. Start working through my stash (especially want to focus on my lippies....I have around 40 lip glosses and I don't even really like lip gloss :blush: ).

4. I want to focus on saving more money, so when I am tempted to buy something I think I'm going to take that money I would have spent and put it in my savings instead. Then I can also see how much money I would have normally spent. Hopefully that will open my eyes some more, too.

5. JUST DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back