January 1 2015, 100 Day No Buy Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also doing a pan that palette challenge in 2015. What palette are you thinking of panning? I think I'm going to pan the original Urban Decay Naked palette.
I'll join you! I was thinking of panning that exact palette. I've used it, but not that much. I was going to try and hit pan on every single shade, including the really dark ones that I don't wear all that often.

I'll join you! I was thinking of panning that exact palette. I've used it, but not that much. I was going to try and hit pan on every single shade, including the really dark ones that I don't wear all that often.
Awesome! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I haven't used that palette much either so I really want to try and use up most of it, if not all, by the end of 2015. I tend to use the dark shades as liner. I don't think I would be able to use them up if I wasn't doing that. 

I have gone off the wagon a bit, but I have been trying to pan the original Naked palette! There is pan in Virgin and Sin, with dips in a few other colors. I really love the palette, but I started to get bored, so I took a break to use my Vice palette. I think I will try to incorporate other shadows with it to keep me interested.

This should also be known as The Little Thread That Could! I'm so happy to see all the new ideas and threads spin-off from this. I've joined the new threads as well and am so grateful for the outpourings of ideas and energy.

Onward and upward y'all!

I must join in on this, there are so many wise and inspiring ideas on this thread I love it. I will start using my nicer things instead of saving them and go on a no buy starting at the beginning of year. Omg Wish Me Luck, I have no willpower :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I must join in on this, there are so many wise and inspiring ideas on this thread I love it. I will start using my nicer things instead of saving them and go on a no buy starting at the beginning of year. Omg Wish Me Luck, I have no willpower :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
You can do it! I know it's hard (my willpower isn't great either) but we are here to support each other and hopefully that will make the 100 days go by a little easier.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's been a while since I've last posted here, even though I try to read/keep up at least weekly. And I've been using more makeup daily since I started my new job in July. I would love to join in the challenge, my goals are listed below:

1. Nail Polish - wear it at least daily. I have 11 bottles to use up, and then it's Zoya polish and maybe a few indies. No more commercial/mainstream products. I'm not sure how many I'll actually use up, but I need to at least use them more often.

2. BB samples - I only sub to BB, so my goal is to use up all of my samples. This would be items I've received since June of this year.

3. Can use any gift cards I receive, but can't go over limit of gift card by more than $10.

4. No buy, obviously, for the next 100 days. I really want to do a project 10 pan and a pan that pallette as well, and will document here (well, their respective threads) preferably weekly.

5. Buy replacement items only if I've used up the last item in that category. I know I will run out of primer, not sure about others.

I am totally in for this! Here are my rules for the 100 day no buy:

1. No makeup or skincare purchases except for true replacements.

2. I can keep or renew all existing subs. No new subs.

3. Gift exchanges are okay, but I have to stick close to the stated limit.

I will allow myself to do some stock up in after-Christmas sales as needed.

I'm also going to think about a project pan challenge as well.

I'm very excited about this!

With all the shopping I've been doing recently, I think I need to join this. I'm really not going to need to buy anything, so starting next year, these will be my rules:

- No makeup, perfume, body stuff, or skincare, at all.

- I can buy backups of shampoo and conditioner, if there's a good deal or GWP.

- I can subscribe to indie subs, but I have to evaluate whether I actually like the colors I'm getting each month, and whether it's worth it.

- No new mainstream subs. Birchbox is my only one right now, and I also have to give it up when my yearly sub expires.

I do believe that January will be my last Ipsy bag. I have plenty of other subs that make me happier, so I plan to leave Ipsy for good this time.

I will keep:

BB (year, already paid)

PSMH ( 6 month already paid)

Allure Sample Society (monthly, so I can drop it if it goes downhill)

Walmart Beauty Box ($5 every season, good deal)

Lip Factory (they are my #1 favorite)

So the above subs and my most beloved CS and Secret Swaps will be plenty.

I am so ready. I got so much fun stuff but honestly between going a little nuts on Black Friday and secret Santa....I'm kind of shopped out. I get overwhelmed sometimes with new stuff, I feel like I have to try it. Then the stuff I got in yesterday doesn't get used.

I'm excited to actually use and play around with all my stuff!!

I'm sure this will last about 2 weeks once this starts, but I'm going into it with a good frame of mind!

After what I just did on the Ulta Cyber Monday sale.... I'm in.

My rules:

- stay off the Enablers thread. That's kinda self evident. I hate missing a good deal, better to just not know about it!

-hold onto any Christmas gift cards so I can think carefully about what I really want. Then at the end of the 100 days, I can go get it.

-I just stocked up on hair and skincare, so I really can't see myself needing anything other than maybe shaving cream and topcoat. Both of those are under $5, so if I actually run out, it's ok to get more (but I'm super bad at estimating how many uses I have left, so I really do have to be completely out first)

-make a list for every Target run and stick to it. No wandering around browsing. Get what is needed and run!

I think that's it. I'm glad to have company in this!

I am absolutely swimming in products... enough to last me years! I was also not very good during Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I am definitely going to join you guys for this no buy challenge. I may even try to see how long I can go without buying beauty items (beyond 100 days). I just really have to start using stuff up and not adding to the collection! I have a few pre-paid beauty subs that I will obviously keep, but no more! I can also participate in trades and circular swaps, but I will do my best to purge my collection and only trade for things I really want. 

I think I've determined my parameters for the first 100 days! Rules:

• NO makeup purchases for the first 100 days. There should be no type of makeup that I will run out of*, so there will be no need to purchase anything. Originally I was worried about doing such a cold turkey challenge, but I really have SO much (and, of course, went a little overboard this holiday season) that I really have a need for nothing and have plenty to play with. Plus, I've included some other loose-ness below that will hopefully reduce the temptation. [*There is a chance I will run out of face powder or BB cream--if that happens, then a purchase can be made for a replacement, so long as all other samples are used up.]
  • Only replacement purchases for skincare and hair care. And I mean true replacements--no stocking up if there is a good sale, no buying just because there is a good GWP. I can only buy replacements for these items when a) I am completely out of full size AND sample products of that type and B) I have a <2 week supply left.
  • I have a $50 budget for bath and home products for the first 100 days. I've been super in to scented bath and body products and candles lately. I'm going to try hard to use up my stash first, but if certain companies release seasonal products that I want to try, I don't want to have to miss them. I think allowing myself some leniency here will help the overall goal.
  • I can keep my monthly Birchbox. But no purchases with Birchbox points! I can also take one Julep box since I currently have one remaining prepaid. No adding additional subs. 
  • No purchases on other makeup-related things. That means brushes, makeup organizing trays, nail polish, etc. 
Other goals I have for this time frame:

• Start up another Project Pan in January. I did one earlier this year (with some success!) and found it very motivating for not buying--I see how long it takes to finish things up!
  • Track my spending on other items. I'd like this to be an overall money-conscious period, so I'll be looking to keep other spending down as well.
  • Get into a good weekly pamper routine. I am pretty good about using my everyday makeup products, but a lot of things like face masks, hair treatments, etc. go unused. I'd like to establish a weekly routine that involves a face mask, hair mask, nail painting, and brush cleaning. I think that will be a nice ritual!
  • Enjoy what I have; make a wishlist for what I want. This is what it's all about right? I've totally fallen into the trap of wanting the newest product, next big color, etc. During this challenge, I'm going to try to acknowledge those cravings, not act on them, and instead write them down on a wishlist for when I decide to buy again. I'm hoping that I can really enjoy the products I have during this time and find some things I really love!

I'm in for the 100 day challenge! I need absolutely nothing. It's hard to pass up a good deal, but I'm still waiting on Hautelook & Black Friday shipments from Sephora, Ulta, Urban Decay, and tarte to arrive - and that should be more than enough to play with for the next couple of months! I feel the worst about my Hautelook shipment - I can't even remember what I bought. Probably some crazy eyeshadow palettes that I can't even wear because I'm a professional woman that has no need for shimmery greens and blues in her daily life.

GUYS!!!! I'm super excited to say that I'm officially committing to join this 100-day No-Buy!!!! I will of course tweak the rules for my personal situation, but for the most part, it'll be a full-fledged no-buy!!!!! YEAH!!! I can't believe I'm actually excited about it, but somehow this thread here and all the responses in it are making it seem like a fun, bonding game!!! I just am so thankful for you all here, and for helping me stay on track!

First, my responses to some of the posts that spoke to me the most:

I agree, every day is a special occasion. Life is just too short to think otherwise. 
Like one of our other makeuptalk members once said, "Life is too short to drink sh*itty tea". :lol:   I can't remember who said that, but it was priceless!!

I love this idea! I'll have to decide on my goals - and I'll need you ladies to keep me in line.
I will need help being kept in line too. Do you ladies think you'd be interested in having an 'accountability partner'? I love posting in the threads and getting feedback, but it might also be really helpful to have a member set as our accountability partner who we PM every other day or so to check in. You could tell them how tough you want them to be on you or something. I hear it really helps.

1. No buy will end at 100 days OR sephora chic week, whichever comes first. I know chic week is usually early April so if I do well up until that point I get to shop the sale.

Samesies. I know the only way I'll be able to get through this 100 days is if I have a light at the end of the tunnel, and 15% off is a pretty bright light. :sunshine:

1. Paint my nails, while giving them a day between paint jobs to get some oxygen. I have like 80+ nail polish bottles of colors I LOVE. Guess who hasn't painted her nails for ages? first time in months was a week ago. So the goal is to get some use out of those nail polish items.

3. Do a weekly spa day for myself at home. Just something to pamper myself with and take more care of my well being. 
I like these two ideas. It's weird, I don't have tons of nail polish, but I still have a lot by some standards. I never paint my nails, so it's like.... why did I even spend money on all these polishes?? I need to start using it!

And I love the idea of the weekly spa day- it'd help me relax and destress, I'd probably start looking forward to it, and I'd get to use up some of the specialty products that I normally wouldn't use on a daily basis! I think I'll make mine Sunday, the day of worship and rest!

2. I can buy replacements IF I do not have anything else in my stash to use (Only things I can see me needing are toner and eyebrow pencil because I only have 1 of each).

4. I want to focus on saving more money, so when I am tempted to buy something I think I'm going to take that money I would have spent and put it in my savings instead. Then I can also see how much money I would have normally spent. Hopefully that will open my eyes some more, too.

5. JUST DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!!! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I love these three ideas- buying replacements of necessities, focusing on the idea of saving money, not just not spending, and then we all need to be reminded of this one: JUST DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!! Hahaha!

This should also be known as The Little Thread That Could! I'm so happy to see all the new ideas and threads spin-off from this. I've joined the new threads as well and am so grateful for the outpourings of ideas and energy.

Onward and upward y'all!
Me too, all the little other thread ideas- the decluttering one, the 2015 pan palette project- all terrific ideas! I love having multiple areas to check in and be excited about!

I'm so excited for this. I'm already getting myself in this mindset! I almost made a purchase yesterday and I was like...NO stop it. You don't need to stock up if you're trying to cut down.  So glad I have a game plan!! 
So awesome! I think having all these plans and sharing going through that with others is really, really going to help me and all of us to be sucessful!

- stay off the Enablers thread. That's kinda self evident. I hate missing a good deal, better to just not know about it!

-make a list for every Target run and stick to it. No wandering around browsing. Get what is needed and run!

I think that's it. I'm glad to have company in this!
I agree, I think staying out of some areas of this forum will really help. I think I'll add this and a few extras to my list of rules. Also, I think it's imperative for me to make lists when I go shopping anywhere, because I always, always pick up extra stuff. That stops NOW!

• Track my spending on other items. I'd like this to be an overall money-conscious period, so I'll be looking to keep other spending down as well.
  • Get into a good weekly pamper routine. I am pretty good about using my everyday makeup products, but a lot of things like face masks, hair treatments, etc. go unused. I'd like to establish a weekly routine that involves a face mask, hair mask, nail painting, and brush cleaning. I think that will be a nice ritual!
  • Enjoy what I have; make a wishlist for what I want. This is what it's all about right? I've totally fallen into the trap of wanting the newest product, next big color, etc. During this challenge, I'm going to try to acknowledge those cravings, not act on them, and instead write them down on a wishlist for when I decide to buy again. I'm hoping that I can really enjoy the products I have during this time and find some things I really love!
I'm so glad you decided to join! Me too- I was really nervous about joining, but now I'm so excited!

I love your idea about tracking spending in all categories, not just beauty/makeup. I will make an effort to do this as well.

I like the ritual too, of the weekly pamper/spa day. I think it'll also help me seriously destress, and to kind of.... view myself as worthy of the use of those special products and time as well.

Also love the idea of delaying gratification by making a list and only buying when you're positive you really want it and will love it.

My rules for myself will come in another thread. This is just my joyful responses to this whole idea! :sunshine:

I LOVE the accountability partner idea.

After this weekend's spending, I've got that "I should never spend money on makeup for the rest of my life" feeling. I want to participate, but I know how sneaky I get about "oh, I didn't really need to be on a low buy in the first place, it was just an experiment" or "oh, but this is actually my favorite lipstick in the entire world so it's super important that I get it when it's on sale" or whatever I come up with.

I'm trying to think of what sorts of things I'll pretend I need to buy. I am 100% certain I have more than a year's supply of:

• eyeshadow,
  • foundation,
  • blush,
  • mascara,
  • eye primer,
  • face primer,
  • lip liner,
  • lip stick,
  • liquid lipstick,
  • lip gloss,
  • hand lotion,
  • nail polish,
  • perfume,
  • shampoo,
  • hair masks,
  • hair oil,
  • body/hand SPF,
  • hair spray,
  • hair protector,
  • cleansing oil,
  • face scrubs,
  • brow pomade
  • retinoid (retinal? retin? whatever) treatment
Possibly less than a year but it will take many months to know for sure:

• body lotion,
  • facial serum or emulsion,
  • sleeping mask,
  • concealer
  • make up wipes
Definitely less than a year's worth:

• BHA exfoliant,
  • facial toner,
  • facial SPF,
  • dry shampoo
  • brow pencil

What else even is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else here think like I do, by the way? In that I need to make a huge shopping list before a no-buy, and then cross everything off because I already have something that will work?

Edit: Or am I being weird and unhelpful? I can see how a giant shopping list in a no-buy forum might be counter-productive....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back