July 2012 No-Buy/Low-Buy Support Group

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm in the same boat--well, kinda. I'm definitely not going to be buying any makeup, but there is a pair of Batman Chuck Taylors that I want. Nerdy, yes. They are awesome! But also kind of expensive,so I dunno. 

Makeup (or any other beauty product) is certainly off limits this month. Shoes...I feel like I can justify those a little more. 
CTs are wicked cool, unfortunately I don't like how my feet look in them. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

CTs are wicked cool, unfortunately I don't like how my feet look in them. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
My feet probably look enormous since I wear a size 10 in shoes, butI don't care! I love 'em anyway. 

My feet probably look enormous since I wear a size 10 in shoes, butI don't care! I love 'em anyway. 
Yeah, that is my size too!

37 days. Made so much easier by the fact that I am dead broke. I cancelled birchbox too, since I have way too many samples that haven't been used.

I always thought I wore a size 10, but some brands are too big. Some brands I wear a freaking 9, which is so weird for me. I have a pair of awesome black/purple/glitter Converse (not-my-picture of them) that are a 9.5 though, and they seem to fit perfectly. My favorite sandals (that broke and I finally chucked last night) were 11's though. Women's apparel/shoes suck since there doesn't seem to be a uniform standard for sizes.

I did go out yesterday and buy a new dress for the holiday, so I felt it was sort of justified. I was so proud of myself, I walked right by the makeup and managed to score the $70 dollar dress for $20. I just keep telling myself that I have plenty of makeup to do my every day look and that's really all I need. I have a good feeling about this month. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I did some switching around in my makeup train case today, so I pulled out some products that haven't really gotten a lot of love, and I'm planning on using them. Switching things around and making sure everything gets used kinda sorta helps me feel better about my giant collection. 

I did some switching around in my makeup train case today, so I pulled out some products that haven't really gotten a lot of love, and I'm planning on using them. Switching things around and making sure everything gets used kinda sorta helps me feel better about my giant collection. 
Yay! Any new found loves?

Day 4. Sephora has some good stuff on clearance but have been able to resist so far. I LOVE those CT's! I've been drooling over a pair of purple glitter ones - I'm going to get them if I'm good w/ this no buy.

I used to wear a 9 but wear a 10 after having my son. My feet never went back :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I had some cute shoes too.

Yay! Any new found loves?
Yes! I dug up some stuff that had been neglected, and I'm loving the MAC casual colour lip & cheek pot in Weekend Getaway. I bought this awhile back, and for some reason, I never used it. I'm wearing it on my lips and cheeks today, and I have a feeling it's going to become a favorite. I also busted out my DKNY pure verbena rollerball, and I'm really digging it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yes! I dug up some stuff that had been neglected, and I'm loving the MAC casual colour lip & cheek pot in Weekend Getaway. I bought this awhile back, and for some reason, I never used it. I'm wearing it on my lips and cheeks today, and I have a feeling it's going to become a favorite. I also busted out my DKNY pure verbena rollerball, and I'm really digging it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yay! I love going shopping in my own stash. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just refound my NYX Extreme creme lip glosses. I used the Absolutely red yesterday but I tihnk it dried out my lips. I'm going to test it again as soon as I get my lips back into shape. I'll be sad if it turns out to be true. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A little late to the party on this one, but my goal is to use up at least 5 samples (should be no problem as I will be traveling later in the month), not buy cosmetics while traveling.

i need to really, truly commit this month since we just found out hubby's position will be eliminated at the end of the month. i certainly don't need anything but somehow it just happens.  hopefully getting all my subs this month (cuz i bought 6mo/yr subs) will keep me happy.

Now that I've seen more of what other people are posting on here, I wish everybody Good Luck. 

I forgot to say my other goal, which is to use up all my "extra" shampoo and shower products.  I am going to try not to buy more until I've used what I already have.  So, Low-Buy for beauty products, and No-Buy for hair and shower.  I also have a problem with razors.  I walk down the personal care aisle at the grocery store and I always see a new kind of razor that looks better than the ones I've been using the past few weeks shave my legs with.  I buy it and it's not better.  Ugh.  I need to just stick with one kind.  Switching my razor once a week, but buying a new pack of 4 or 6 or 8 every 2 weeks means I have a huge stash I need to use.

I decided I wanted to try out Organix Brand Moroccan Argan Oil shampoo and conditioner in April.  I couldn't find the Organix Madadamia Nut shampoo and conditioner at that time and I really wanted to buy them.  Well, May came along and I bought them, too, but I lovelovelove the Argan Oil and hate the Macadamia Nut Oil, so I switched back to (meaning bought another bottle of) the Argan Oil shampoo 2 weeks later.  I had only used half the Macadamia Nut Oil shampoo and conditioner and I've gone through 2 bottles of Argan Oil shampoo and 1/2 a bottle of Argan Oil conditioner.  Plus I have a giant bottle of Dandruff Shampoo I've had since March that needs to be used more often.  I have 1 or 2 more uses in the Argan Oil Shampoo, then I am forcing my self to switch back to the Macadamia Oil shampoo and conditioner.  The problem is mainly the Macadamia Nut Oil products make my hair frizzy.  Not dry frizzy, but too much humidity frizzy.  I have problems with humidity and frizz, and this made it 10 times worse.  I have an Anti-Frizz Argan Oil Spray, so I guess I will be using that a lot this month.  I also get tired of my shower gel about every 2 weeks and switch.   I have 2 constants for shower gel.  Saint Ives Seasalt Scrub and CVS brand Salicylic Acid Body Scrub.  I use each of them a couple times a week, but on days I don't use them, I like fruity shower gels and I keep buying 1 or 2 every month.  So my goal is to stop buying more and use what I have until it's gone.   

Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am going to try to make July a low-buy month.  I have no spare cash left over from May and June, and August is my birthday, so I want to celebrate with some friends.  The way I'm trying to look at it is less money spent in July means more money to do something fun in August.  My goal is only to spend money on the essentials and a couple of nail polishes and lip butters.  I am hoping to get the orange and the dark metallic gren polishes in the new Spiderman collection, and that's it for nail polish.  I have too many.  And I want to get the Candy Apple Revlon Lip Butter.  Other than that, I don't see myself needing to buy anything even remotely related to makeup in July.   I also need a couple more pairs of shorts since my rear end expanded since last year and I haven't managed to find more than 3 pairs of shorts that fit this Summer.  I am hoping to also not spend more than $50.00 outside of essentials for July.

Good Luck to Everyone.
icon_cool.gif

Spent another $2 on some Mango Mandarin body wash because in this heat, I'm dying for fruity scents, and most of what I have already in bath products is mint or spice or suchlike. It should have been free after RR, but they didn't print and I didn't feel like arguing it. So that's a total of $4 spent thus far this month (and I just did the free Zoya promo, which totally doesn't count, since, hello--FREE)

This month is a low-buy month for beauty products, last month I spent way too much money. The only beauty related stuff I am allowed to spend my money on are my sample boxes and maybe a small order from Zoya or a mystery box from Julep. I am cancelling all but two of my sample subs come September because I am moving to Germany, at least I hope to keep two of them. But after last month and buying a whole new collection of makeup, makeup brushes, and a manicure set I needed to stop. My goal is to not spend over $100 this month. I bought a 3 month gift sub to Birchbox last month so I don't have that money coming out this month, but I am still paying for Beauty Army, Julep Maven, and Eco-Emi. My biggest down fall is coming across great deals (I blame my father and husband for this.) I am currently on a no-buy for crafts supplies, last month was really bad. I am not allowed into craft stores without my husband for fear spending too much money. Hopefully I can keep it up, even if I do get those lovely coupons....

I'm on a no buy this month, excepting my subs. I can't think of a thing I "need" and I want to buy two items in August so this is the perfect time for me to use up my stash and save a little $$.

I've been stash shopping for the past few days, and I've gotta say, it feels pretty nice. I'm not allowing myself to use products twice in a row, so that forces me to mix things up. I think it'll help since it kinda makes things feel "new" if they haven't been used much or in awhile. 

Oh no! I hope the Absolute Red works for you. I use it now as my go to lipcolor when I perform.  Long lasting. Great color.

Yay! I love going shopping in my own stash. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I just refound my NYX Extreme creme lip glosses. I used the Absolutely red yesterday but I tihnk it dried out my lips. I'm going to test it again as soon as I get my lips back into shape. I'll be sad if it turns out to be true. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I have sucessful avoided a Sephora purchase even though they are offerring Guerlain mascara samples and I'm A. on the quest for the perfect mascara and B. newly in love with Guerlain. 

Also made a succesful trip through Walgreens last night. Completely avoided the temptation of even going down the cosmetics aisle. I got my sinus meds and got out!

Back