Liquid or Pencil Eyeliner?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok this is a proble i've been having for a while: Eyeliner.

I can't get liquid to go on right. It either doesn't go in a straight line or i get too thick a line, no matter how much i practice etc. Then with pencil e/l or khol, it just doesn't sty on long enough for me. So does anyone have any tips/tricks or recommendations for e/l (liquid or pencil)?
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by starnight Ok this is a proble i've been having for a while: Eyeliner.
I can't get liquid to go on right. It either doesn't go in a straight line or i get too thick a line, no matter how much i practice etc. Then with pencil e/l or khol, it just doesn't sty on long enough for me. So does anyone have any tips/tricks or recommendations for e/l (liquid or pencil)?
icon_redface.gif

Ok..if you still don't get liquid liner even after practice,I recommend ditching it completely and trying cake liner with a push brush..Lines like MAC,LORAC,Laura Mericer make cake liners you can use wet/ or dry..Then try a stiff flat edged brush like MAC 266 or Prescriptives push liner and you can push the liner directly into the lash line..For long lasting pencil liners I highly recommend MAC Powerpoints..They stay on a little too well actually... sometimes a little difficult to remove

Ok, thought i posted here but cant see my post! Anyway, i was saying that i have the exact same problem as you starnight. Sometimes i can draw a fab thin straight line using liquid liner, but other times i cant. Cake liner sounds interesting Ali, must try that out
smile.gif

I don't wear eyeliner very often, but I've personally had an easier time with liquid, because it glides on smoothly, and is easily removed. I have to rub pencil on and off, and that irritates my eyes. But that's just me. LOL. And I'd recommend what Allisong said.
wink.gif

I am miserable with liquid eyeliner & have found a GREAT alternative!

st_S0G501_200.jpg

You can apply this gel eyeliner with an angle brush (ie: MAC 266). It is waterproof and has amazing staying power. You can use it to simply give definition to your eyes or to create a dramatic smoky eye. The smudgepots come in black, brown, emerald, plum, navy & grey. I LOVE them! Bobbi Brown also has a similar product, although I haven't tried it.

Also... whenever applying eyeliner, I hold my eyelid slightly taut at the outer corner, to allow for smoother application. I go lightly at first, as it is always easier to add more than remove too much.

If you want to stick with liquid, invest in a liner brush like Bobbi Brown's fine liner brush for a thicker liner. You can also use a push brush like Trish McEvoy #11 for a tighter, fine line. I'm sure there are art store equivalents, just look at these to get an idea of what to buy.

Take some liquid liner and apply it to the back of your hand. Now take your new liner brush and tap the bristle tips into the liquid. For the thicker line on the upper lashline, take one finger and gently raise the endpoint of your eyebrow up to give it some lift. Do a very gentle stroke from the midpoint of your lashline to the outer corner, letting the brush slightly extend up with the corner of your eye. Then refresh take your brush without adding more color and go from the inner corner to the middle. At this time you can add a bit more color to the brush and fill in any gaps and line irregularities.

For a very fine, tight definition using liquid liner, use a fine push brush. Follow the same method for applying color to the bristles. This time, on the lower lashline have the brush pointing DOWN into your lashline (handle up high) and gently push the bristles into the lashes. Add color as necessary, making sure the brush doesn't get goopy. For top lashes, reverse the position of the brush so that the handle is pointing down, bristles up and into the base of your lashes. This is a real Pain in the Arse so if you want you can cheat a bit and keep the brush as level as possible and work "down into your lashes" instead of up into them.

You can do this same technique with Stila Smudgepots, Bobbi Brown Gel Liner, dampened eyeshadow.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by starnight Ok this is a proble i've been having for a while: Eyeliner.
icon_redface.gif

I can't get the liquid to go on right either. I really like the staying power of Laura Mercier's cake eye liner. You use it with a flat eye liner brush and it works great. I needed to practice couple of times but now I can do it really fast. The best pencil I've found that lasts is Styli-Style Line & Seal pencil. You can check out www.styli-style.com for more details.

icon_redface.gif

Hello Starnight,I've gotta say... I love the soft look of a smudged line and not the harsh/hard one of a liquid liner.

If you want to try a soft line, which (I think) gives the face a more youthful, current look, try this.

012image6.jpg

Step one: Use a pencil liner to draw a line from middle lash to outer corner of eye. Smudge lightly with finger

Step two: Find a matching or similar color of powder shadow and apply it over the pencil liner (little by little) until you get a smouldering line without overdoing it. Blend as necessary. If it is a good color for you, you will look very pretty!

Hint: blue and green eyes look nice with brown, grey, or purple liner

brown eyes look very pretty with a smokey grey or green liner

Latest posts

Back