Looking for something to strengthen my nails

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wore acrylics for years..probably too long..now my nails are damaged..Very thin,brittle,flakey uneven surfaces.They look horrible.I've tried all the vitamins that claim to help hair and nails but nothing has worked..Curious about the Nutra nail power gel i keep seeing on TV also

Since the acylics have dried out your nails, you have to replace the lipids back. nails need moisture and anything that dries hard on the nails, damages the nail and nail bed. A good nail oil is all you need, such as TIPS by Ask Cosmetics. which you can see at their website or purchase at QVC.
icon_smile.gif

Yup, I agree that the nails definitely need moisture. Creative Nail Design's Solar Oil is good for that. Also if you have a Trade Secret near you, you might wanna check out One Minute Manicure. Its a mixture of salts and oils and it has made my hands and nails look sooooooo good. A little pricey but so worth it. Some people have a lot of luck with OPI's Nail Envy. I tried it myself and it actually seemed to make my nails more brittle and prone to breaking/peeling but a lot of people swear by it.

Hey Girl..I've actually tried the ProStrong kits but I have no patience for all the different steps..I'm looking for something brainless..one bottle prefered
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Irishgirl Try one of prostrong's kits on qvc.com! They have several kits for these issues and you can use the whole thing for an entire month and if you don't like it; you get a FULL refund..Can't go wrong! That's why I love shopping at qvc when I can..Check em out at www.qvc. com!

Ever since I've used the new MAC Nail Color that have UV protection etc my nails seem to be a lot stronger. I don't know if it's because of the nail polish or just my diet or what but my nails have also been growing real fast.

Hey!! Thanks..I just might try that..Sounds yummy

Originally Posted by Tampalady I always had thin brittle nails. About 2yrs ago I wanted to start eating a little more healthy so I started drinking protein smoothies for breakfast every morning. I don't remember how long it took, but one day I noticed that my nails were actually getting long because they hadn't broken off. I really think that the added protein in my diet made them grow faster and thicker. The protein powder that I use is called Spiru-tein in simply natural flavor. For my smoothie I combine in a blender: one scoop of the powder, about one cup of orange juice, one banana and about one cup of frozen blueberries, then blend it until smooth. The drink tastes really good and I can't detect the protein powder in it. The Spiru-tein runs about $30 for a 1.63 lb can but that's 32 smoothies!

Your protein smoothie sounds fantastic and its great that you found something that you're pleased with. I'm not a big fan of commercially made protein, I think I'll just eat the food. Theres no doubt that a good diet will contribute to a person's health overall. I think genetics are a huge factor big time. Nails get brittle, split, chip and peel if you don't replace the moisture in them. If you wear any product that hardens on the nails, it'll just suck the life right out of them. The application of a nail oil will restore the health of your nails in ways you will never think! The cosmetic industry is very clever. They sell women products to enhance an area of the body. Problems begin, and then the consumer has to buy yet ANOTHER product to cure the problem of the first item that they've used! Its a vicious circle!

Fanie Intl. makes an interesting product called Instant Nail Hardening treatment. The ingredients are hydrolyzed keratin, sulfer extract, water-soluble petroleum, ascorbic acid, vitamin A, mint oil & P.C.M.X. which is a natural bactericide that prevents spoilage. It works. A LITTLE GOES A VERY LONG WAY. I have solar nails, thin, brittle underneath no matter how great my diet or supplements are - just the nature of the beast. This works. Of course my nail fill bill got higher bec. my nails grew faster too....small 1/4 ounce red gel-like use only a teeny tiny bit & massage it into cuticles & nails on hands & feet. The larger size will last me a year.

Latest posts

Back