Looking to buy a new brush set...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i'm thinking of getting a new brush set soon and i've been eyeing sets on ebay by chanel.

i remember hearing about art supply stores having good brushes (obviously), but i want a WHOLE set, the whole nine. would i be able to find things like foundation brushes, concealer, etc.? i'm sure it'd be A LOT cheaper, right?

I love art store brushes. They are so much cheaper and work just as well. The bristles may seem a little stiff and icky at first because they put some kind of stiffener in them, but you just wash the brushes really well before using them the first time and the bristles will be all nice and soft. You can get brushes in a million billion different shapes and sizes. http://www.dickblick.com/categories/brushes/ This site has a guide to brush shapes, sizes and different types of hairs. It is targeted to painters, but it gives you a good idea of the sorts of brushes that are avaliable.

Originally Posted by Jennifer i'm thinking of getting a new brush set soon and i've been eyeing sets on ebay by chanel.
i remember hearing about art supply stores having good brushes (obviously), but i want a WHOLE set, the whole nine. would i be able to find things like foundation brushes, concealer, etc.? i'm sure it'd be A LOT cheaper, right?

in july i beleive, there will be mac brush sets coming out. it's called tailormade and the brush handles come in like pinstirpe, plaid, herringbone(?), and a check pattern. let me find a post somewhere abuot what brushes will be in it.

suzuki, thanks for that!

liz, thanks! i've looked at brush sets on ebay by mac and they're very basic and i don't wanna buy separately, so i've given up on that.

i actually think i'm gonna go for this chanel set. i'm excited!

Trisha will vouch for the fact that the Kevyn Aucoin set is all about quality!

Expensive, but worth every penny.

Yes, Kevyn's is very nice. I don't have it but would love to get it one day...

Originally Posted by KMEFH Trisha will vouch for the fact that the Kevyn Aucoin set is all about quality!Expensive, but worth every penny.

i believe you when you say KA, but i can't afford it
frown.gif

thank you, though!

I still love my Art store brushes... I think they're just as good... and you can get 20 brushes for the price of like 2 or 3 mac's. I'd rather spend money on product, and use a brush thats less expensive (that does the same job) - IMO I think the 'brand' name is what you're actually paying for anyway.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I still love my Art store brushes... I think they're just as good... and you can get 20 brushes for the price of like 2 or 3 mac's. I'd rather spend money on product, and use a brush thats less expensive (that does the same job) - IMO I think the 'brand' name is what you're actually paying for anyway.
icon_rolleyes.gif
oh, of course. sometimes i like the name, though LOL

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I still love my Art store brushes... I think they're just as good... and you can get 20 brushes for the price of like 2 or 3 mac's. I'd rather spend money on product, and use a brush thats less expensive (that does the same job) - IMO I think the 'brand' name is what you're actually paying for anyway.
icon_rolleyes.gif
i second that Janelle!!

Originally Posted by Jennifer oh, of course. sometimes i like the name, though LOL how much is the chanel brush set?

If you're looking to save $$$ go for the art supply store. There are alot of great quality brushes for way less than any makeup brush. You could definitely stock up and get a full set of makeup brushes if you look hard enough.

I plan on checking out the local art supply store sometime this week to stock up on new brushes.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by luckylabonte I plan on checking out the local art supply store sometime this week to stock up on new brushes.
icon_smile.gif
You'll be surprised on how similar they are to MU brushes... there are hundreds of different shapes,sizes,bristles, etc... so you'll be amazed on what you find that you can create a use for, and how cheap they are -
icon_cheesygrin.gif
You'll have a full collection in no time!
wink.gif

liz, starting bid was $99.99 and stayed like that until 2 minutes before the auction ended, then someone kept bidding. i would've gone higher than what they bid ($120+), but my conscience kept telling me not to because i need to save my money, so in a way, i'm kinda glad i couldn't get them, but then i was sad
frown.gif

i'm definitely gonna check out the art supply store, though.

thanks, girls
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Jennifer liz, starting bid was $99.99 and stayed like that until 2 minutes before the auction ended, then someone kept bidding. i would've gone higher than what they bid ($120+), but my conscience kept telling me not to because i need to save my money, so in a way, i'm kinda glad i couldn't get them, but then i was sad
frown.gif

i'm definitely gonna check out the art supply store, though.

thanks, girls
smile.gif

You should! You can get 20 brushes and still have like $50 left over for makeup!! lol
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha Ya know i was thinking about art brushes, cos me & Lea looked in an art shop and the brushes werent very nice, i couldnt imagine using them on my face esp my eyes! You must have nicer art brushes in the US! x the ones i have are made out of sable hair. they're very soft and figured the sable hair would the better since brushes are made out of animal hair. *shrugs* you get yours for way cheaper, so it's ok for you to buy regular brushes. lol. i would get those too!

believe it or not, i went to Target and they have brushes there. I bought 2 the small and medium eyeshadow brushes.. and i LOVE them! And i dont normally buy makeup supplies from Target etc.

I also have Target brand e/s brush and it is very nice
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by MacForMe believe it or not, i went to Target and they have brushes there. I bought 2 the small and medium eyeshadow brushes.. and i LOVE them! And i dont normally buy makeup supplies from Target etc.

Latest posts

Back