Loose Powders : the more expensive, the better?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After my other post on loose powders, i have decided to finally get one!

however, when i go online, i have no idea what kind to get!

Loose Powders Considering: Listed Most $$ to least:

pGLSCNLF-753033r200.jpg
$47 - Chanel Natural Finish

P95107_hero.jpg
$34 - Clarins

528631_l.jpg
$32 - Lancome Photogenic

031305_L.jpg
$26.00 - Biotherm

loose_powder_lrg.gif
$22.00 - h20 Plus

Is it necessary to get expensive ones? or a drugstore one would work jsut as well?
confused.gif
i have oily skin, i have no idea how to shop for loose powders!

Expensive does absolutely not equal better! My favorite loose powder ever is CoverGirl Professional Loose Powder, and it is only $5! With all other powders I've tried, my face was shiny after only 2-3 hours (which means they weren't working at all -- my face is oily after 2-3 hour when I don't even wear mu!). But with the CG powder, my face is perfectly matte after 3 hours and is only slightly shiny at the end of the workday with no touchups!
biggrin.gif

And just for reference, the other powders I've tried are Prescriptives (around $30), Clinique Blended Face Powder (around $20), and L'Oreal Hydra Perfect (around $10). The Prescriptives and L'Oreal worked equally well, and I actually liked the Clinique less than the others because it seemed to have a slightly oily texture to it and was harder to blend...

I also recently discovered that using a brush with natural hair does make a difference ... I had previously been using an inexpensive brush with synthetic hair and while it worked all right, I tried Sonia Kushak's powder brush (only $12 and made with natural hair just like all the $40-$60 department store brushes!) it does provide a more even coverage. Most powders come with a puff but I usually end up getting too much powder on my face when I use the puff.

i'm not sure about loose powders.

you can always go to the counters and ask, but the SAs are gonna tell you whatever you want to hear to try to sell the product.

sorry i can't be of any more help. i would just wait for some more reviews from other gals to see what they say.

I agree with geek_girl! My favorite loose powder is Cornsilk Classic Translucent Loose Powder in No Color. It's about $5 at Walgreens. I'm on my second tub now, and trust me, I rarely use something up and repurchase. It's finely milled, controls oil well, and doesn't oxidize on me. I couldn't ask for more!

i don't necessarily think more expensive means better. i have oily skin as well and i've only tried four loose powders (Scott Barnes translucent, BE Mineral Veil, Ben Nye banana visage, and NYC). at the moment i'm altering between BE's and Ben Nye's. i didnt really give NYC's much of a chance because since it was d/s brand i was scared it would break me out which yes, i know, im bein a label snob about it. but i've heard great raves for NYC. i still need to try out Scott Barne's.. i haven't tested that one as much as i'd like to--and its the most expensive one!

Erica, do you think dry skin can use Cornsilk loose powder?

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme I agree with geek_girl! My favorite loose powder is Cornsilk Classic Translucent Loose Powder in No Color. It's about $5 at Walgreens. I'm on my second tub now, and trust me, I rarely use something up and repurchase. It's finely milled, controls oil well, and doesn't oxidize on me. I couldn't ask for more!

I didnt use the most expensive ones (altough i want chanel... it seems to have very good reviews) - but i own clinique blended face powder and it is the best so far. I love it - looks so natural, it makes my face look soooo much better. it is invisible on skin, stays matte for a while (when i start to shine i use clean and clear oil absorbing sheets). I had ift for a year now and there is still a lot in the container. and i use it a lot. also - not expensive at all
smile.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek Expensive does absolutely not equal better! My favorite loose powder ever is CoverGirl Professional Loose Powder, and it is only $5! With all other powders I've tried, my face was shiny after only 2-3 hours (which means they weren't working at all -- my face is oily after 2-3 hour when I don't even wear mu!). But with the CG powder, my face is perfectly matte after 3 hours and is only slightly shiny at the end of the workday with no touchups!
biggrin.gif

And just for reference, the other powders I've tried are Prescriptives (around $30), Clinique Blended Face Powder (around $20), and L'Oreal Hydra Perfect (around $10). The Prescriptives and L'Oreal worked equally well, and I actually liked the Clinique less than the others because it seemed to have a slightly oily texture to it and was harder to blend...

I also recently discovered that using a brush with natural hair does make a difference ... I had previously been using an inexpensive brush with synthetic hair and while it worked all right, I tried Sonia Kushak's powder brush (only $12 and made with natural hair just like all the $40-$60 department store brushes!) it does provide a more even coverage. Most powders come with a puff but I usually end up getting too much powder on my face when I use the puff.

i guess i am just paranoid, that the drugstore loose powders are not refined enough and it could clog my pores, cause that's what happened to me back in highschool when i brought the cover girl compact since i have super oily skin
frown.gif

Latest posts

Back