L'Oreal Microdermabrasion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? Did it work for you?

Also I'm getting LIP LINES.
eek.gif

What do I use for that? I have oily skin and the only thing I use is eye cream.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by rowantree Has anyone tried this? Did it work for you?
eek.gif

Thanks!

I found a coupon for Loreal microdermabrasion in case you want it... I have never had microdermabrasion of any sort so I cannot answer your question with any confidense. KittySkyFish has had good luck with a few micro products I think. Maybe she'll know?
tc Cali

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND: url(images/dotbg.jpg) fixed no-repeat" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=480 bgColor=#cccccc border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right>
so_refinish.jpg
</TD><TD width=16></TD><TD width=327>
so_refinish_title.gif

Act now! Download a coupon good for $3 off one ReFinish Micro-Dermabrasion Kit from L’Oréal Paris.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

There's also a coupon for lipstick on the same website.

Originally Posted by naturally Have you tried Epidermx microdermabrasion? Not sure about L'Oreal's ...but I DO know that Epiderm's is all natural and it's fabulous! I've seen the scars on my face from a car accident diminish amazingly ...and a scar from surgery ...well that's flattened out too! Good for any skin type also!
I can send samples if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

I would love to try it! At my age I'll try anything
icon_lol.gif

Thanks, Cali! I did try to download the coupon before, but for some reason, my computer never allows me to do that. I am going to try the Epidermx sample but it's twice the cost of the L'Oreal stuff. I'd love to get rid of my brown spots & if the Epidermx works (nothing else that's over the counter has) then it would be so worth it!

Originally Posted by naturally I think you'll be happy with the results of the Epidermx ...no it won't be an overnight sensation because it takes time to minimize those things. However you will see some difference along with feeling a difference in your skin. I know it's pricey ..but I feel like you get what you pay for ...cheap stuff ...is just that CHEAP! You can go to www.epiderm.net and look at the pix there of results others have had. They also have a forum if you have any questions. I'm all for aging NON-gracefully ...I plan on going kicking and screaming all the way and so far at 48 years young, I'm not doin' too bad a job at it! camellia oil sample with Epidermx-- Do you use this camellia oil, Naturally? Can't you just use your own moisturizer with Epidermx?

Hi rowantree! I'm a regular exfoliator and two products have worked well for me:

philosophy's The Microdelivery Peel http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=91493&catid=33841&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=33841&trxp2=91493&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx= BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

and enhanceme's A Peel of Dreams.

http://www.enhanceme.com/products_peel.htm

Both are nearly identical in texture and ingredients, fyi. Each are a two-step scrubbing system that lifts off a considerable amount of dead skin through fine crystal and vitamin c. After about four sessions (a week apart each minimum time) your skin should look brighter and clearer, and will feel much smoother. It also does a good job of diminishing skin discolorations due to redness from acne scarring and mild hyperpigmentation (over a series of uses). I've been using the philosophy product since the beginning of the year and after a few months I needed to cut back on the frequency to once every other week because my skin was cleaned up enough to just need maintenance level usage.

One big caution: if you plan on regularly exfoliating your skin though systems such as this or with retinol, lactic or glycolic acid methods, you MUST use adequate sun protection daily on your face. Usage of these products will increase your skin's sensitivity to UV/IR rays. I don't have oily skin, but Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion SPF 30 is good (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79531&catid=10401&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=10401&trxp2=79531&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx= BUY-PLST-0-SRCH), as well as Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer SPF 30 )http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=89628&catid=21503&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=21503&trxp2=89628&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx= BUY-PLST-0-SRCH).

Regular usage of sunblock will also help fade brown spots on the face.
smile.gif

eek.gif

Thanks!

I forgot to address your question about lip lines. I use my regular eye cream around my lip area before bedtime. This does seem to help and it is just as beneficial as those specific lip area products, so why buy stuff that's redundant?
smile.gif
If you smoke, here's another reason to stop. The constant puckering doesn't do any favors for lips. It also helps to always use sun protection on the lip area if you're going to be outside for any length of time.

eek.gif

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info, KittySkyFish! I used Philosophy's microdermabrasion scrub, I think it's called "The Present"? Didn't much care for it, didn't see any real improvement. I had also tried their powder foundation and after trying these 2 products, I'm not a real big Philosophy fan at this point.

Will definitely be using my eye cream for the lip lines! Thanks!
smile.gif

Hi Rowantree! The Present is a completely different product. The one I recommended was originally called The Great One, now called The Microdelivery Peel. Maybe you're thinking of The Greatest Love, which is an oily scrub? Or The Great Awakening, which is an activated gel-type of exfoliant. Their names are really interesting, to say the least!

Originally Posted by rowantree Thanks for all the info, KittySkyFish! I used Philosophy's microdermabrasion scrub, I think it's called "The Present"? Didn't much care for it, didn't see any real improvement. I had also tried their powder foundation and after trying these 2 products, I'm not a real big Philosophy fan at this point.
Will definitely be using my eye cream for the lip lines! Thanks!
smile.gif

LOL! The names are really confusing at Philosophy! The scrub I used was a sugar microdermabrasion scrub and it didn't do anything for me at all. It tasted good though!
wink.gif

I have read that Neutrogena has come out or is coming out with a microdermabrasion scrub that is supposed to really work. I can't remember what magazine I read about it in (I think it was Glamour but not sure), but they claimed that they received the same results as regular microdermabrasion! They didn't include L'Oreal's new product in their reviews...

Not sure I really want to try Philosophy again, only because they're so expensive, but I think I'll visit their website & check it out anyway.

Ah-ha! You had the Greatest Love! I had that one too. Sugary and oily, and the scrub deteriorated before I used it all up. Wouldn't recommend it either. But yeah, it did taste good!

Here's the product from Neutrogena:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...Y-PLST-0-BRAND

It sounds good, but I recommend you try doing a simple Aspirin Mask at home before spending $25 on a drugstore exfoliant.

Aspirin Mask

Put 10-12 generic aspirin in a shotglass in a small bowl or cup and put about a teaspoon of water on them; enough to absorb into the aspirin without any runniness. Let them soak for a few minutes until the water has absorbed into the aspirin, making a crumbly, coarse paste. You can move the aspirin around to help facilitate the absorption.

Add at least a tablespoon of plain, non-flavored regular yogurt* to the softened aspirin and blend together.

Apply to clean skin and let sit for 10 minutes.

Gently massage in the mask for about 30 seconds then rinse with tepid water. Follow with a toner and moisturizer.

I'd recommend this mask 1x -2x per week to keep pores clean and skin smooth!

*I've seen many recipies for the Aspirin Mask, some including aloe and other honey or just water, but I found yogurt to be the best because it seems to keep the mask from becoming too drying, it adds some weight to it so it won't crumble off the skin and it enhances the exfoliation process with lactic acid.

Any generic aspirin works fine. I've used brands from Target, Walmart, Walgreens and they're all the same. The ones I use have a micro-coating made of corn starch and are white. The coating dissolves pretty quickly and won't have an effect on the mask. Don't get the ENTERIC coated aspirin because water won't break down the coating.

biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by rowantree LOL! The names are really confusing at Philosophy! The scrub I used was a sugar microdermabrasion scrub and it didn't do anything for me at all. It tasted good though!
wink.gif

I have read that Neutrogena has come out or is coming out with a microdermabrasion scrub that is supposed to really work. I can't remember what magazine I read about it in (I think it was Glamour but not sure), but they claimed that they received the same results as regular microdermabrasion! They didn't include L'Oreal's new product in their reviews...

Not sure I really want to try Philosophy again, only because they're so expensive, but I think I'll visit their website & check it out anyway.

I've read other posts about the aspirin mask & wanted to try it, thanks for the recipe! Figures I just got back from the grocery store & only have tylenol here.
frown.gif

I wanted to try either the L'Oreal or the Neutrogena or the Epidermx because I'm hoping that one of them will help with my brown spots. I tried Avon's lightening cream (didn't do a thing). I read Proactiv's lightening lotion was highly recommended so I bought it and that didn't do anything either. Most of my spots look like freckles, so I just don't know what to try anymore. I don't have the $ for anything professional.

ooohhhh, I'm trying to fight the aging process but my skin doesn't want to cooperate! Maybe that Epidermx sample will lighten those babies up...

Yeah, tylenol won't quite cut it...lol!

Are you using any sunblock right now?

Originally Posted by rowantree I've read other posts about the aspirin mask & wanted to try it, thanks for the recipe! Figures I just got back from the grocery store & only have tylenol here.
frown.gif

I wanted to try either the L'Oreal or the Neutrogena or the Epidermx because I'm hoping that one of them will help with my brown spots. I tried Avon's lightening cream (didn't do a thing). I read Proactiv's lightening lotion was highly recommended so I bought it and that didn't do anything either. Most of my spots look like freckles, so I just don't know what to try anymore. I don't have the $ for anything professional.

ooohhhh, I'm trying to fight the aging process but my skin doesn't want to cooperate! Maybe that Epidermx sample will lighten those babies up...

I'm shrinking away from replying, KittySkyFish. That's because I don't use sunblock, I just rely on my SPF foundation. There's no excuse, really, because I have sunblock, I just don't use it. My skin gets really oily and foundation slips right off if I use anything other than eye cream.

Thank you very much for sending me the samples! I tried it last night and I have to admit, I didn't think it would really work. I use a scrub every morning...so I was SHOCKED to see all that YUCK peeling off my skin! And I have to admit, I believe I know what people talk about now when they say a product "brightens" their skin, because I've now discovered that my skin isn't as dark as I thought! I definitely noticed my skin was lighter in color, although I still have my freckley brown spots. I also noticed the pores on my skin improved and my skin felt so slicky smooth! But not oily in any way, which really impressed me. I'm anxious to do another treatment! Thank you!

icon_redface.gif

OH my! Please don't feel you need to shrink because you admit to not using sunblock. You have valid reasons for not liking how it feels on your skin. But since the freckling is caused by sun exposure and will be exacerbated with exfoliating anti-aging treatments, what we need to do is find a way to give you the sun protection your skin needs and keep you happy and as grease-free as possible.
smile.gif

Some directions I'm thinking:

Would you consider using a powder foundation? There are a few out there that have high SPF. Jane Iredale makes a compact mineral foundation that gives great coverage and has a physical sunblock of SPF 17. It's very matte and has nice oil absorbancy properties. Shiseido also makes a compact powder foundation SPF 34, which is nice.

http://www.shiseido.co.jp/e/suncare_us/html/makeup1.htm

Neutrogena makes Healthy Defense Protective Powder, SPF 30, which would be great for mid-day touchups. Sunblock does break down after a while on the face, and this would be a great way to refresh the protection while refreshing your makeup!
icon_idea.gif

If you really want to wear a liquid foundation, Shiseido makes an AWSOME liquid foundation - you'll see it in the link above. The coverage is very nice, it has a budge-proof texture and it's an SPF 42! I have this and wear it when I go to theme parks. I also did a write-up about it in the review center here. Pair this with the Neutrogena Defense Powder and you'll be really set!

Speaking of Neutrogena, they make a Dry-Touch sunblock in SPF 30 and 45 which is VERY lightweight. I used it last year when I went snorkeling in the USVI and it's much lighter than normal facial sunscreens. It blends down to a matte finish, which is nice for oilier skintypes.

I hope this helps, some!!

Originally Posted by rowantree I'm shrinking away from replying, KittySkyFish. That's because I don't use sunblock, I just rely on my SPF foundation. There's no excuse, really, because I have sunblock, I just don't use it. My skin gets really oily and foundation slips right off if I use anything other than eye cream.

Thanks for all of the information! I do use the Neutrogena Healthy Defense powder with their foundation. Shiseido is out of my price range but sounds wonderful! I'm wondering what you said about the freckling being exacerbated by the exfoliating? I've only used the Epidermx three times since Sept. 15th and I have noticed a big difference. I cannot say this about any other product I have used and I have tried a lot of things (although nothing really expensive).

$52.90 for the Epidermx (includes shipping) is really way too expensive for me, but when you've used a product only 3 times in 5 days and see a remarkable difference in your skin, how can you not buy it? The Derma Butter is fantastic. I don't like moisturizers but this stuff is amazing. Using a tiny, tiny amount, it spreads across my face like water and then melts in, leaving my face feeling great and unshiny.

I've tried Philosophy's and Maybelline's powder foundations in the past and found that while Maybelline's is better, both end up caking under my eyes & making me look haggy. I love the ease of using the powder foundation but even though I apply eye cream to the undereye area, I still end up with the powder making me look older than I already am!
smile.gif

Peel vs microdermabrasion! What is the difference? There's L'Oreal microdermabrasion and Neutrogena's facial peel. Both are too new, there aren't any reviews on the Neutrogena product yet and there are only 3 reviews on the L'Oreal one. I still love the Epidermx, just looking for something cheaper.

Hi rowantree! I'm sorry it took so long to get back to your questions - today was my 1st day back in my Photo II class! Anyhoo - a peel is caused by an acidic compound applied to the skin, causing a chemical lifting of dead skin cells. The potency depends on the type of acid used and the percentage included in the product. Some even behave differently than others. www.makeupartistschoice.com gives some helpful side-by-side information about each type of common skincare acid. http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/whichpeel.htm This is pulled from makeupartistschoice's website: <TABLE borderColor=#009900 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Lactic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">Derived from milk, milder than glycolic acid, and typically better for working on hyperpigmentation problems. Our formulation contains licorice extract, an effective skin lightening additive. Appropriate for dry skin.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Glycolic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">A good all-around acid for normal-oily skin types to exfoliate the skin. More harsh than lactic acids.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Beta Hydroxy Acids, Salicylic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">Oil soluble, thus making these acids perfect for oily/acne skin that needs deep pore cleansing and loosening of blackheads. Use this as a "first-step" when using alpha hydroxy acid peels to remove all oils from the skin, or use along 3/4 times per week for oil/blackhead control.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Trichloreacetic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">Deeper peeling class of acids used for acne, lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, scarring. Longer lasting results, more intensive.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">See specifics below</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">See specifics below</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> Microdermabrasion is primarily a physical exfoliant using fine crystals to remove dead skin cells. Some kits include little gadgets to buff your skin! Spas use machines to sandblast your skin with those crystals. I have used both types of exfoliating methods and for me, it's just a matter of preference since they both work well. My favorite microdermabrasion kit that I've used is from Philosophy (The Microdelivery Peel). The aspirin mask recipe that I gave you contains Lactic Acid and Salicylic Acid - which by the way I need to revise that recipe!! I did it last week after not doing it for a few months and I guess my memory slipped a bit. I also found that you don't need to add water to dissolve the aspirin. Just let them soak for about 5-10 minutes in the yogurt and they'll dissolve fine. 12 or more plain aspirin 1 slightly rounded measuring teaspoon of plain yogurt Mix the two ingredients in a small glass or bowl and let sit for 5+ minutes. You can then mix them around with a spoon to break them down faster. Apply the mixture to clean, dry skin and let sit for 10 minutes. Then gently massage the mask into your skin then rinse. That's it - I just make a mask right now for myself so I'm lookin' at it!

Originally Posted by rowantree Peel vs microdermabrasion! What is the difference? There's L'Oreal microdermabrasion and Neutrogena's facial peel. Both are too new, there aren't any reviews on the Neutrogena product yet and there are only 3 reviews on the L'Oreal one. I still love the Epidermx, just looking for something cheaper.

Wow, KittySkyFish, I am just blown away. All of the information you just gave me (and btw, don't apologize, I just posted the question today) has really informed me! The claim for Neutrogena is that the formula is proven to deliver results equal to a 20% glycolic peel. Now I'm reading your post & am wondering if a glycolic peel would work for me. I am looking to get rid of the spots, as well as the large pores & blackheads. I did write down your aspirin mask recipe so I have it as a reminder to go buy aspirin & plain yogurt! Thank you so much for all of your advice and info!

Latest posts

Back