L'Oreal Microdermabrasion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Hi rowantree! I'm sorry it took so long to get back to your questions - today was my 1st day back in my Photo II class!
Anyhoo - a peel is caused by an acidic compound applied to the skin, causing a chemical lifting of dead skin cells. The potency depends on the type of acid used and the percentage included in the product. Some even behave differently than others. www.makeupartistschoice.com gives some helpful side-by-side information about each type of common skincare acid.

http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/whichpeel.htm

This is pulled from makeupartistschoice's website:

<TABLE borderColor=#009900 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Lactic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">Derived from milk, milder than glycolic acid, and typically better for working on hyperpigmentation problems. Our formulation contains licorice extract, an effective skin lightening additive. Appropriate for dry skin.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Glycolic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">A good all-around acid for normal-oily skin types to exfoliate the skin. More harsh than lactic acids.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Beta Hydroxy Acids, Salicylic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">Oil soluble, thus making these acids perfect for oily/acne skin that needs deep pore cleansing and loosening of blackheads. Use this as a "first-step" when using alpha hydroxy acid peels to remove all oils from the skin, or use along 3/4 times per week for oil/blackhead control.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">Trichloreacetic Acid</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">Deeper peeling class of acids used for acne, lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, scarring. Longer lasting results,

more intensive.</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="38%">See specifics below</TD><TD align=middle width="62%">See specifics below</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Microdermabrasion is primarily a physical exfoliant using fine crystals to remove dead skin cells. Some kits include little gadgets to buff your skin! Spas use machines to sandblast your skin with those crystals.

I have used both types of exfoliating methods and for me, it's just a matter of preference since they both work well. My favorite microdermabrasion kit that I've used is from Philosophy (The Microdelivery Peel). The aspirin mask recipe that I gave you contains Lactic Acid and Salicylic Acid - which by the way I need to revise that recipe!! I did it last week after not doing it for a few months and I guess my memory slipped a bit. I also found that you don't need to add water to dissolve the aspirin. Just let them soak for about 5-10 minutes in the yogurt and they'll dissolve fine.

12 or more plain aspirin

1 slightly rounded measuring teaspoon of plain yogurt

Mix the two ingredients in a small glass or bowl and let sit for 5+ minutes. You can then mix them around with a spoon to break them down faster. Apply the mixture to clean, dry skin and let sit for 10 minutes. Then gently massage the mask into your skin then rinse.

That's it - I just make a mask right now for myself so I'm lookin' at it!

Hey Kitty, I got a sample of epidermx from Naturally and ITA with Rowantree. It is pretty damn effective ... very impressively so! It made my skin softer than ever and made a few old red marks disappear and that was only after one use.So my question is this: Does an aspirin mask do the same thing? There is no way I can afford Epidermx either. I think it's pretty amazing stuff. I am going to submit a review on it after I am done with my sample. It doesn't feel that great on your skin while you are massaging it (feels like taking an eraser and going back and forth!) Anyway... is this (microdermabrasion) the same kind of thing that can be accomplished by an aspirin mask? Thought maybe you'd know.

I also love the derma butter. I'm with Rowantree. But I need a cheaper alternative.

Hi Cali, I have used my sample 4 times now and you would not believe the difference in my skin. I've got enough left to do my face one more time
icon_cry.gif

I should have taken before & after pics, the difference is that noticeable. I don't think the aspirin mask will do the same thing as Epidermx, but I'm willing to try the Neutrogena facial peel over the L'Oreal microdermabrasion, simply because the facial peel would be easier - LOL! I have tried doing a review here on Epidermx but the brand isn't listed. I'm interested in reading what Kitty has to say about a cheaper alternative, she really knows her stuff!

Before I go further, I had to say I reviewed the Epidermx website and found the information there to be slanted and sometimes laughable. Here's one of their best:

As the compound [cream containing corundum crystals - K.S.] is massaged into moist skin these molecules vibrate and create a magnetic state, thus flattening wrinkles.

Hmmm! Well, that's interesting...
icon_rolleyes.gif

From the testimonials I read here, I do believe this product works very well. If it works for you guys, then it works!
smile.gif
But I'm not convinced this is the unique miracle of the microdermabrasion age. There are a lot of products out there that will exfoliate the skin using ultra-refined particles. But I think a lot of those other brands are, ounce per ounce, in the same price category as Epidermx. It's $44 for 2.1 oz, and one from the drugstore that I like called A Peel of Dreams is $19 for 1oz of base exfoliation paste and 1oz of activating gel. Since the gel is not the exfoliant, I would have to look at buying two to get the same volume of scrubbing product as in Epidermx. But the L'Oreal product contains 2 oz of scrub for $24 - this may be a good place to try something cheaper!

What is the texture of the Epidermx? A Peel of Dreams and my fav. from Philosophy are VERY thick, orange pastes. Lots o' grit. Also, both of these contain lactic acid in the activating gel, so you're getting a double treatment with an AHA in the end. Just a thought.
wink.gif

The aspirin mask is a milder AHA mask. Oh, I have to tell you guys that last night I left the mask on for almost 30 minutes! I was on the computer surfing here, then my husband called and I kept putting off rinsing the mask off. When I finally got to rinsing it, my skin was very soft with minimal redness. Any blotchiness went away by the time I went to bed and this morning my skin looks beautiful! This is not as effective as any of the scrubs we're talking about, but I would recommend this to anyone who finds microdermabrasion scrubs to be too harsh for their skin.

BTW: Cali, you might want to try the aspirin mask before buying the Neutrogena. I think the Neutrogena Peel would be a souped-up version of the aspirin mask.

Originally Posted by Californian Hey Kitty, I got a sample of epidermx from Naturally and ITA with Rowantree. It is pretty damn effective ... very impressively so! It made my skin softer than ever and made a few old red marks disappear and that was only after one use.So my question is this: Does an aspirin mask do the same thing? There is no way I can afford Epidermx either. I think it's pretty amazing stuff. I am going to submit a review on it after I am done with my sample. It doesn't feel that great on your skin while you are massaging it (feels like taking an eraser and going back and forth!) Anyway... is this (microdermabrasion) the same kind of thing that can be accomplished by an aspirin mask? Thought maybe you'd know.

I also love the derma butter. I'm with Rowantree. But I need a cheaper alternative.

Thanks for the info, Kitty! You have helped me make a decision to try the L'Oreal and instead of spending $25 on the Neutrogena peel, just using the aspirin mask. So just to make it more confusing, what do you think about Avon's 2 step peel?
smile.gif

LOL! You're killing me!! j/k, of course.

I read the product description and it's a 10% glycolic acid solution, applied in pad form, paired with pads of neutralizing solution. Technically this will work fine, but for $32 it's a waste of money. I've used DDF's Glycolic Toner 10% and it'll do the same exfoliation, plus it'll help you curb oiliness. It's $28 for 8.45 oz! http://www.ddfskincare.com/Pages/pro...x?productId=71

DDF Glycolic Toner 10%

<!-- Product description. -->DDF Glycolic Toner 10% is good for normal to oily skin. Highly effective at removing excess oil and residue while depositing ultra pure grade Glycolic to help refresh and soften skin. Accelerates skin cell turnover rate. 8.45 oz. $28

<!-- Product benefits. -->To clarify and tone.

<LI>Degreases the skin.

7082_hero.jpg

Originally Posted by rowantree Thanks for the info, Kitty! You have helped me make a decision to try the L'Oreal and instead of spending $25 on the Neutrogena peel, just using the aspirin mask. So just to make it more confusing, what do you think about Avon's 2 step peel?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by rowantree Hi Cali, I have used my sample 4 times now and you would not believe the difference in my skin. I've got enough left to do my face one more time
icon_cry.gif
I should have taken before & after pics, the difference is that noticeable. I don't think the aspirin mask will do the same thing as Epidermx, but I'm willing to try the Neutrogena facial peel over the L'Oreal microdermabrasion, simply because the facial peel would be easier - LOL! I have tried doing a review here on Epidermx but the brand isn't listed. I'm interested in reading what Kitty has to say about a cheaper alternative, she really knows her stuff!

Dearest Tree,I will enter epidermx right now. All you have to do is go to the review page and click the button for a new entry since it is not yet listed.

Anyway.... let's see what the Kitten says! Meow!

Yeah... that Epidermx is some FANTASTIC stuff- even it it is tedious sitting there rubbing the &*#&@** out of your face. Did you happen to use it on the eye area too? I wonder if the in-store stuff is comparable. I have the camila oil too and it's like silk! I love the stuff. Wait till I start actually making some money and I might just buy some stock in this company. Sigh...

fanclub.gif

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish Before I go further, I had to say I reviewed the Epidermx website and found the information there to be slanted and sometimes laughable. Here's one of their best:
As the compound [cream containing corundum crystals - K.S.] is massaged into moist skin these molecules vibrate and create a magnetic state, thus flattening wrinkles.

Hmmm! Well, that's interesting...
icon_rolleyes.gif

From the testimonials I read here, I do believe this product works very well. If it works for you guys, then it works!
smile.gif
But I'm not convinced this is the unique miracle of the microdermabrasion age. There are a lot of products out there that will exfoliate the skin using ultra-refined particles. But I think a lot of those other brands are, ounce per ounce, in the same price category as Epidermx. It's $44 for 2.1 oz, and one from the drugstore that I like called A Peel of Dreams is $19 for 1oz of base exfoliation paste and 1oz of activating gel. Since the gel is not the exfoliant, I would have to look at buying two to get the same volume of scrubbing product as in Epidermx. But the L'Oreal product contains 2 oz of scrub for $24 - this may be a good place to try something cheaper!

What is the texture of the Epidermx? A Peel of Dreams and my fav. from Philosophy are VERY thick, orange pastes. Lots o' grit. Also, both of these contain lactic acid in the activating gel, so you're getting a double treatment with an AHA in the end. Just a thought.
wink.gif

The aspirin mask is a milder AHA mask. Oh, I have to tell you guys that last night I left the mask on for almost 30 minutes! I was on the computer surfing here, then my husband called and I kept putting off rinsing the mask off. When I finally got to rinsing it, my skin was very soft with minimal redness. Any blotchiness went away by the time I went to bed and this morning my skin looks beautiful! This is not as effective as any of the scrubs we're talking about, but I would recommend this to anyone who finds microdermabrasion scrubs to be too harsh for their skin.

BTW: Cali, you might want to try the aspirin mask before buying the Neutrogena. I think the Neutrogena Peel would be a souped-up version of the aspirin mask.

... Will do! I am interested in A Peel of Dreams. I bid on it and lost so I'll just scoot my buns to the drugstore instead.

Anyway, the Epidermx site turned me off too- it feels entirely too infomercial-ish and I was not buying it. Then Naturally came along and said she had samples, and I was curious since some of the b4/after pics I've seen are very impressive. Anyway... the product is REALLy kick-arse. But since I have NOT done the rounds yet (ie checking over drugstore microderm kits) I need to do that next to compare them.

The Epidermx texture ... it feels and looks just like a white skin lotion, but with TONS of very fine granules that are rough in texture like the rough side of a nail file! It feels like you are "erasing" your skin a bit, but it's nothing to scream, drop, tuck and roll about.

Anyway, Epidermx is far too expensive and that's why comparisons are needed. I had some old red marks/scars on my skin from pimples gone bad and they were gone with one use. So I can't wait to see what's next!

This is what happens if you use microdermabrasion too much:

ewwwww! Darn that's disgusting!!

It sure is, naturally!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Since this is in the same price range as other products out there, this might be a good choice for anyone wanting more selective ingredients in their skin care.

What are the ingredients in Epidermx<SUB><TT>TM</TT></SUB> microdermabrasion pro-treatment??Purified aqueous extract of: Matricaria Rucutita (Chamomile Flowers), Sambucus Canadensis (Elder Flower), Rosa Canina (Rose Hips), Equiseteum Arvense (Spring Horsetail Grass), and Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), medical grade Aluminum Oxide – Corundum Crystal), Behentrimonium Methylsulfate (derived from Canola oil), Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Acohol, Glycol Stearate (all natural plant sources), Rosa aff. Rubligiaosa (Rose Hip Seed Oil), Carthamus Tinctorus (Safflower Oil), Vitis Vinifera (Grapeseed Oil), Mangifera Indica (Mango Butter), Essential oils of : Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit), Lavendula Augustifolia (Lavender), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Octanoic Acid/Serenoa Repens (Saw Palmetto), Xanthan Gum, Hydroxymethylglycinate.

http://www.epiderm.net/pages/products/micro.html

Originally Posted by naturally I know the Epidermx is natural ..no fillers, no chemicals ...all natural ..even the Derma Butter and Camellia Oil is natural. I can't speak for the others as I don't know their ingredients and often they use fillers and so forth. As for the peels, I think they are made from Glycolic Acid ...not sure if it's natural or synthetic ...don't know.
The Epidermx is pricey ..I so totally understand...however a jar will last quite some time if all you use it for is the microdermabrasion. I'm thinking at least a month if not more ..remember it doesn't take much.

I think there is a comparison on Epiderm's site with their product and others ...not sure I can check (well ..anyone can actually). Also ..with the Epidermx I do offer Free Shipping to return customers.

Okay ...offline for now ..time to return home after a long week away.

Only microdermabrasion kit I've tried so far is "Dermanew"... It's pricey - but i got it at a trade show for a good deal... I've now got my mother ADDICTED ( I mean BAD too - she does it everyday!) and a few other people too. They use crystals that are the "hardest mineral next to diamonds" and the applicator 'bounces' the crystals against your skin instead of rubbing - (which can lead to microscopic tears....) I have the acne kit... my mom has the regular facial kit. Seems to work really well - they say 5 home treatmens equal the results of one professional treatment by a dermo. - I would have to say I agree... you definitly see the results. If you'd like, you can check it out at www.dermanew.com

Sometimes they have the kits on ebay pretty cheap.

Okay, I'm curious! How does the applicator bounce the crystals? TIA!

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 Only microdermabrasion kit I've tried so far is "Dermanew"... It's pricey - but i got it at a trade show for a good deal... I've now got my mother ADDICTED ( I mean BAD too - she does it everyday!) and a few other people too. They use crystals that are the "hardest mineral next to diamonds" and the applicator 'bounces' the crystals against your skin instead of rubbing - (which can lead to microscopic tears....) I have the acne kit... my mom has the regular facial kit. Seems to work really well - they say 5 home treatmens equal the results of one professional treatment by a dermo. - I would have to say I agree... you definitly see the results. If you'd like, you can check it out at www.dermanew.com
Sometimes they have the kits on ebay pretty cheap.

The sponge on the applicator doesn't spin... it vibrates at really high speeds... and you just make slow circles on your skin. It's wierd... at the trade show... the girl from Dermanew did a demo on me (which sold me right there! lol) she didn't even move it around... just let it vibrate - and there STILL was a big difference!

(She did the back of one of my hands and made me compare it to the other)

OMG!!! You mean I can take my Philosophy Microdermabrasion kit and apply it with my Hitachi Magic Wand???

NYAngel, you KNOW I'm just joking!!! Actually, that sound really interesting. The price isn't off the wall, either. M'think's it may be on my Christmas wish list...
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 The sponge on the applicator doesn't spin... it vibrates at really high speeds... and you just make slow circles on your skin. It's wierd... at the trade show... the girl from Dermanew did a demo on me (which sold me right there! lol) she didn't even move it around... just let it vibrate - and there STILL was a big difference!
(She did the back of one of my hands and made me compare it to the other)

Wow so many ingredients & products & it has really gotten confusing for me! I do love the Epidermx, can't believe the difference in my skin. If you compare it to drugstore skin care it is expensive, but if you compare it to Chanel, Shiseido, Murad, Dr. Brandt, etc., then it's not really that expensive. Personally my opinion is I should just save up enough money to get the Epidermx rather than spend $25 on a drugstore product that won't work as well. Kim, you'll be getting an order from me as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Thank you so much for sending me the samples, otherwise I never would have known about it.

Originally Posted by Indigo Kim,
I'm curious. I would love to try a product like this, after hearing all the raves. However, I've got Rosacea, and my skin is super sensitive. Bout the only thing I can use is my own castille soap with dead sea mud. I can't even use a washcloth on my face (I'm a splash and rinse gal) because it irritates my cheeks and I get those santa claus cheeks for a few days afterwards.
icon_frown.gif
(Thank you mom for the genetics!) Do you know anything about this product and folks with Rosacea? Thanks!

Jenn

Kim will probably be getting my order too as soon as I am (#((@(@! employed. I refuse to spend the money that my husband worked hard for on expensive beauty products. It just doesn't seem right. I'd rather spend it on sushi and a movie!Thanks KIM, big time for the sample as well. You packaged it so nicely and took the time to send it on! I'll be writing a more thorough review on it after about a week - until I run out of my sample and get the final results.

smile.gif

cali

Originally Posted by naturally Thank you ladies ...I have to tell you ...being the avid "Arbonne" user (and not just because I'm a consultant ..although that helps ...I thought they were IT! I don't even remember how I was turned onto Epidermx ...but god that feeling after the first use! I became OCD over touching my face, thought for sure someone would notice the fact I couldn't keep my hands off!
I so TOTALLY understand cash flow too ..trust me and Cali ...I understand not wanting to blow hard earned cash on beauty products ...sushi ..yeah ..oh yeah ..especially since we have maybe 1 place here that serves it ..and I haven't tried them yet (picky).

I'm gathering up funds to get more sample jars as we speak ...since I shell out the $$$ ..but I'm not complaining ..because I want everyone to know about this stuff!

Jenn ..from what I've been told by Amy (she's the owner of Epiderm) and what I've read at the testimonials page ...there have been others with Rosacea that LOVE it. I can send you a sample set also (bear with me though as my stock is running low and I'm awaiting an order so I can refill things and have enough for my sample kits).

Remember to those that have gotten samples ...only twice a week with the in depth dermabrasion ...too much and you'll have irritated areas ...like sunburn. With a regular size jar (2.1 oz) ..and that's quite a bit although it doesn't sound like it, you should be able to get a month out of it if you use it for both the microdermabrasion and exfoliation part (10 - 15 seconds of massage) ...I don't use the exfoliation part of it though ...I'll use other scrubs for the in betweens and use the Epidermx for that indepth-goo-getter.

It took Wendy a year for the results she got but there are results you'll see before that ..you'll see results everytime you use it. I do!

Hey Naturally, when I do a write-up ... do you have any before and after photos with epidermx that you KNOW are genuine (no touch ups, etc)? Or can you direct me to a stie with REAL people who have posted there legit bef/after pics? I'm curious to see others' results and I'd like to post them in my write-up.Tx,

Cali

PinkPanther.jpg

Originally Posted by naturally Cali,Wendy has hers on her site ...I have a link on mine to hers ...I can't put her actual photos on my own because of copyright issues. Like an idiot I didn't take any before photos when I got my first sample jar ...and I'd have to dig around for before pix that I have for any close up shots. Wendy's are real though ...and there is another person that has a site that has befores/afters.

If anyone has any and they'd like me to post them on my site ...let me know ..I'd LOVE to post them with comments ..working on figuring out how I can add a forum to the site ...right now just a guestbook.

Ok Thanks, Kim. Wendy's been banned from this site for spamming the board, so I'll keep looking.Adios for now!

Cali

banned.jpg

Hi Rowantree, Did you try the Loreal MicroDermabrasion? I currently use a microderm cloth twice a week and Gale Hayman microderm which is micro-pulverised Itailian marble dust. Its a gentle but effective exfoliating treatment.

Hi Candy, No, I haven't tried it yet. I'm still trying to decide between L'Oreal & Neutrogena, although I'm leaning more towards L'Oreal.

Hi Rowantree,

I have been using the Neutrogena daily renewal facial wash and moisturiser and toner off and on the last year or so and i think they are both really affective.
icon_smile.gif

Latest posts

Back