MAC brush necessary for Fluidline???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I´m going to get at least 2 of the fluidlines tomorrow. I know, they´re probably gonna suggest bying one of THEIR brushes too, but honestly I´m such a sucker for great colors and make-up that I HATE spending a lot of money on brushes. although I love the MAC ones that I have.

so could I just get a cheap lip liner or eye liner brush instead of the MAC one? do you think I would get the same results with a cheap brush? and do you girls know how much the MAC one would be?

Thanks!

Yes, get a brush - a small angled one! At MAC, their 266 brush (one of my favorites) is $18.00. If that's too pricey for you, go to Sephora or Target (check out Sonia Kashuk's brushes).

I do think brushes are a great investment to make though. If you are good to them, they'll be good to you for a long time! Cheap brushes tend to split, hairs fall out, you don't that nice smooth control as you would with a higher quality brush. Good tools make a huge difference in your application. And if you buy brushes at MAC, you can always clean them with mild baby shampoo and leave them out flat, to dry overnight (rather than buying their cleaner).

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will chime in with advice.
smile.gif

I'm the same way... I'm so cheap that I try to find comparable things cheaper... sometimes it'll work out, sometimes not - but I got a bunch of brushes at Michaels' art n' craft store for like $2 each... and honestly the eyeliner-like brushes (and the short angled) are really VERY similar to MAC... I haven't had any problems... they seem to be pretty well made... I mean they are like clear plastic-like handles, but the bristles are still good... clean well , and luckily no shedding yet (had em' about 2 weeks now) Hopefully they last, but I wouldn' t be totally opposed to mac brushes if they do something that I can't find somewhere else.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by LotusGlamGirl I definitely agree with buying better quality brushes...If you buy cheaper brushes, and they split, fall out, etc. then you'll be wasting your money buying another one. Buying great quality, higher price brushes will save you money in the long run. HTH
smile.gif
Thats true! Better spend $ buying something once than spending the same or more re-buying junk... luckily the ones I got were cheap, but still seem good - but I'll probably buy a MAC brush eventually... they have so many! Probably pick one up at the show next month...
icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted by Joyeuux Yes, get a brush - a small angled one! At MAC, their 266 brush (one of my favorites) is $18.00. If that's too pricey for you, go to Sephora or Target (check out Sonia Kashuk's brushes).
I do think brushes are a great investment to make though. If you are good to them, they'll be good to you for a long time! Cheap brushes tend to split, hairs fall out, you don't that nice smooth control as you would with a higher quality brush. Good tools make a huge difference in your application. And if you buy brushes at MAC, you can always clean them with mild baby shampoo and leave them out flat, to dry overnight (rather than buying their cleaner).

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will chime in with advice.
smile.gif

icon_idea.gif
So true..

Originally Posted by Trisha Brushes are definitely an investment, I know mine will last me forever if (and I do) i look after them.

My fave brush for the fluidlines is actually a lip brush (MAC 311), have a play at the store and see which you like best! x

T x

I'm moving from one side of the counter to the other! LOL Starting at the e/s section... and I'm sure I'll move on from here! lol
icon_redface.gif

My favorite brush is the Bobbi Brown Eye Liner Brush. The rounded tip gives me greater control than the angled edge of the MAC #266, but that's my personal preference.
icon_biggrin.gif

I have two brushes that I use for lining my eyes with Fluidlines.

Benefit's Get Bent Brush

detail_getbentbrush.jpg

MAC's #208 angled brush

M45J_261.jpg

I think it depends on how steady you are with applying it. Good luck finding the right brush for you.

I'm still horrible w/ brushes... LOL So I'm using a super small skinny e/l brush - and just start w/ one thin line, then go thicker... Pencil was so easy compared to this! But!!!! I"m getting better! LOL
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by LotusGlamGirl I definitely agree with buying better quality brushes...If you buy cheaper brushes, and they split, fall out, etc. then you'll be wasting your money buying another one. Buying great quality, higher price brushes will save you money in the long run. HTH
smile.gif
Ok i just gotta say Carina, i LOVE your new avatar! And yup i agree that its worth spending money on good quality brushes.
For my BB Gel Eyeliner i use Bobbi Brown's Ultra Fine Eyeliner Brush (thanks to Kerry *smooches*) and i'll probably use that for my MAC Fluidlines too when i get them this week. I also have MAC's #266 so i might try them with that too but i prefer the short handle on my BB brush

Originally Posted by Trisha My fave brush for the fluidlines is actually a lip brush (MAC 311)

T x

I tried this brush with the fluidlines at Trisha's recommendation and I really like it. It nice and stiff so I find it easier to control and I can get a much thinner line with it than with other brushes.
For eyeliner I also have Stila #4 precision eyeliner brush and Stila #13 one step eyeliner brush too. I think it's worth having lots of different e/l brushes as you can achieve lots of different looks.

Originally Posted by Laura but i prefer the short handle on my BB brush I like shorter handles also... guess it's a good thing being I had to chop over an inch off them to fit them in my Trish McEvoy planner! LOL (I told you all I'd make them fit! LOL
tongue.gif
) That's ok b/c they are clear lucite (I think) handled... so they're still in tact and doing just fine... and I'm loving that they are all in there... all in one spot & organized!

Originally Posted by Trisha Yay glad you like it Lea, you can get a really thin line with it, can't you??
Anyhow, what did you creep back to the MAC counter on Saturday to buy?? I saw ya!!

I was buying the brush, they didn't have it at the pro store
icon_evil.gif
so I had to come back. I needed to get going home, otherwise I'd have stopped to chat. Turned out i had to wait 40 mins for the bus anyway, and then it took me 1 hr 30 mins to get home
icon_evil.gif

I have two MAC brushes at home and they don't really impress me that much. I buy my brushes from the craft store for my fluidline liner and liquid cake liners. They lasted longer than my high-end brushes. I also find great brushes at my beauty store. Brandon makes a very good angled brush for brows, about 6.99, and I've had it for 3 years with no splitting or hairs falling out.

Originally Posted by Scarlette I have two MAC brushes at home and they don't really impress me that much. I buy my brushes from the craft store for my fluidline liner and liquid cake liners. They lasted longer than my high-end brushes. I also find great brushes at my beauty store. Brandon makes a very good angled brush for brows, about 6.99, and I've had it for 3 years with no splitting or hairs falling out. my brushes from the craft store seem to be holding up well too! Yeah!!
smile.gif
lol

Cute avatar Arielle!

My MAC 311 brush (a lip brush, but really good with fluidlines 'cos it's stiff) was £11 which converts to about 16 euros.

Originally Posted by Lealabell Cute avatar Arielle!
My MAC 311 brush (a lip brush, but really good with fluidlines 'cos it's stiff) was £11 which converts to about 16 euros.

What are the Euros equivilent to in US $?

Hi! PBI
icon_redface.gif
- the 311 brush costs $16 in the US, and today the exchange rate is about 1 Euro to 1.35 American Dollars.

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 What are the Euros equivilent to in US $?

Originally Posted by KittySkyfish and today the exchange rate is about 1 Euro to 1.35 American Dollars. thanks kerry!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

so I got two of the fluidlines...and the MA told me I could use the brush I already had (208 small angled brow brush) and it works just fine.

the MA didn´t even know that all the fluidlines were safe for the waterline (somebody posted this on here..maybe Trish), so I told her where I got this from and she immediately told her co-workers about this site *g*

then she used frostlite on my inner rims and it lasted for hours. she was really surprised
redface.gif
(me too...love,love,love this stuff!!)

Latest posts

Back