MAC Mavens---need your advice re:paints

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For my birthday this week, I've decided I'm going to treat myself to some MAC products. I am very interested in trying some paints for eyeshadow.

What colors would you recommend for a caramel toned african american female with dark brown eyes? I want something pretty but not incredibly wild. I will probably use them as a base and also for just an overall wash of color on the lid.

Also, would you recommend using a brush to apply them and if so, which one?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't actually tried any of their paints yet but looking at Maccosmetics.com, I think a soft shade in the purple family (like Mauvism) could be fun without being too crazy. Bare Canvas (champagne with shimmer) could also be a great, simple base color as well.

hey FacesbyNiki, do you have any thoughts on this one?

Hiya CHWF, I LOVE MAC PAINTS! I'm not sure which would be best for your colouring but my faves are Bare Canvas, Stilllife, Bamboom & Canton Candy. I've yet to try Mauvism but i heard it's so pretty. MAC have a Paint Charms set out at the moment, maybe it might be worth a look at. You get 4 or 5 mini paints in the set!

I find my fingers the easiest method for me. I know you can use a brush too but i just find working with my fingers easier. You only need the tiniest amount for 2 eyelids so they'll last 4ever!

I'm here!
icon_smile.gif

*rubbin my hands together*

Let's see.. you can do anything. But yes, Mauvism, Artjam, Bare Canvas, Canton Candy, Bamboom... I could go on and on.

icon_biggrin.gif

imo, bare canvas would be too light for you. im a C3, and its too light for me. (BTW, what mac foundation color are you?) its really nice for a base, but its really boring on its own. its cream colored with no shimmer.

i would go with pixel. its silver- not pewter, not light silver, just silver. its gorge. you said you didnt want anything wild, but chartru is also beautiful. its lime green, not chartreuse.

i apply paints with my fingers. ive tried both natural and synthetic bristled brushes, and they absorb way too much product for my liking. the paint doesnt go on evenly or smoothly, either.

they can be applied as a wash, blending out sheerly to the brow bone, and they can also be layered several times for a more dramatic look. they stay put absolutely all day, and are the prerfect e/s base if you have oily lids that e/s tend to crease on.

Latest posts

Back