Makeup do's and don't's...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Most of this is common knowledge, but I did find some useful information...

Real-Life Beauty with Bobbi Brown

Makeup Misdemeanors

Beauty don'ts you may be doing

Bobbi Brown

Browsing through my family album the other day, I found a picture of myself wearing blue liner on the inside rims of my eyes. What was I thinking? I wondered. If you've been guilty of similar cosmetic crimes--and think you may

still be an occasional makeup outlaw--read on for tips on turning these makeup don'ts into do's.

The wrong foundation shade

Foundation smudged on a woman's shirt collar is a dead giveaway that she's applying foundation on her neck to make it match her face. If your foundation changes the color of your face, it's not the right shade; it should match your complexion exactly. To find your perfect match, smooth foundation along your jawline and check your reflection in natural light (carry a compact mirror with you, and step outside).

You know you've found the right shade when you can't see it. Yellow-toned foundations look the most natural on all skin tones, from fair to dark. Avoid pink-toned foundation, which can make you look like you're wearing a mask.

Ring around the lips

An obvious line between your lip liner and lipstick is not only dated, it's unflattering. For the most natural look, pick liner that is the same shade or one shade darker than your natural lip color. Line lips after applying your lipstick and follow your natural lip line; you may then want to use a lip brush to soften and blend the liner. If you have small lips, don't try to create the illusion of bigger ones by drawing outside your lip line; the best way to enhance them is with a medium-toned lipstick or a creamy gloss.

Drawn-in brows

I love a defined brow--except when it's drawn in with a hard pencil, which makes it look cartoonish. Eye shadow in a tone that matches your brows is the most natural way to fill in and enhance brows. Use a small, hard brush that's flat and angled at the tip. Dip the brush into the shadow, and lightly tap off any excess. Start at the inner corner of the brow and, following its natural shape, work your way outward using light, feathery strokes.

Blush on eyelids

If you've been trying to shave time off your beauty routine by using your blush as eye shadow, stop right now. The rosy coloring of blush isn't designed for the eye area and can make eyes look tired. If you like the idea of simple eye makeup and want to wear only one shade of shadow, try shades such as beige, toast, or barely-there pink. They give you instant polish with minimal effort.

Concealer on blemishes

Concealer is designed to lighten dark under-eye circles and is usually one or two shades lighter than your skin tone. So using it on a blemish actually draws more attention to the problem. The best way to hide a blemish is with stick foundation or cover-up that matches your skin exactly. If possible, buy one in the same product line as your foundation so everything matches up. Use fingers or a small brush to apply the foundation directly on the blemish, and pat gently with your fingertips to blend.

Blush stripes

Unless you want to look like a crosswalk, don't apply blush in a horizontal stripe across your cheeks. To create a flattering flush, smile, and dust blush on the apples of your cheeks. Sweep the blush brush up and back toward the hairline, then downward to blend.

Partly lined eyes

Lining only the outer half of the eye is the best way to make your eyes look smaller--and that defeats the purpose of eyeliner. Whether you're lining just the top lash line or both top and bottom, always make sure that you fully extend the line from the innermost corner of the eye to the outer corner.

great info tracy, but i love the blush i use on my lids! maybelline sierra sands. i guess i'll have to begin a search for a similar shade of e/s. any suggestions?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks Monniej!! I dont have a clue about Maybelline colors? What is sierra sands like? Whatever I suggest, you know its gonna be MAC!!!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by monniej great info tracy, but i love the blush i use on my lids! maybelline sierra sands. i guess i'll have to begin a search for a similar shade of e/s. any suggestions?
icon_rolleyes.gif

i know that all you ladies love your MAC! i'm almost ashamed to admit that i only have one MAC shade and that's yogurt. i only use it to line under my brows. sierra sands is more of a tan shade. works well for me from brow to lash line. i guess my look would be considered netrual. i'm a brow girl and i down play most everything else.

Are you ever gonna fully come over to the MAC side? Its really nice over here!!
icon_wink.gif
The colors are to die for......
icon_wink.gif
Tan pigment is awesome!!! you might really like it!!

Originally Posted by monniej i know that all you ladies love your MAC! i'm almost ashamed to admit that i only have one MAC shade and that's yogurt. i only use it to line under my brows. sierra sands is more of a tan shade. works well for me from brow to lash line. i guess my look would be considered netrual. i'm a brow girl and i down play most everything else.

i've been a MAC girl, but only for a short time. i had shade problems with the foundation and powder. i'm in between shades, so i went back to my prescriptives custom blend. as for e/s, don't hate me but, i'm a drug store girl at heart. cover girl, maybelline, and revlon. i guess old habits are hard to break.

Nope!! No hate!! MAC seems to be the most popular brand on this board, but we love everything here!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by monniej i've been a MAC girl, but only for a short time. i had shade problems with the foundation and powder. i'm in between shades, so i went back to my prescriptives custom blend. as for e/s, don't hate me but, i'm a drug store girl at heart. cover girl, maybelline, and revlon. i guess old habits are hard to break.

Thanks for posting this, Tracy!!
smile.gif
I wouldn't take it all to heart, but I do love Bobbi's makeup and for the most part, she knows what she's talking about. I need to pull out my book!

A lot of information that pops up on the board is common knowledge. A lot of it is also repetitive, but it gets posted for the sake of those that may not know and also to enlighten and entertain. So glad that you took a moment to read it!
icon_cheesygrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Angel Baby I actually agree with all of that
biggrin.gif
! Though I think those were no brainers
wink.gif

ohhh just an hour ago Bobbi brwon was in a radio progarmme and talking about make up.

one of her tips was wearing yellow based foundaion looks very natural on every skin tone and second she was saying always put on eyeliner it will make your eye alive if you do not to wear any make up. also when applying blusher always smile and apply it.

Originally Posted by SarahAfshar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here is another make-up beauty dont' that should be added...
White Eyeliner On Waterline DO NOT use white eyeliner on the waterline, if you are looking for your eyes to "pop" without being dramatic. I notice some girls use a white shade of liner on their waterline and assume that it gives an illusion of making the eyes stand out. The reality is, it doesn't work. If you want to achieve this effect, simply find a liner (whether eye or lip) that is a shade lighter than your actual skin color. This will blend in your eyes and make your eyes stand out, without the faux white look. Not only will this look natural, but will give you an even bigger illusion of possessing that "pop" look.

I agree, i tried this trick and it never worked for me, it alwasy looked so fake. I instead tried using a light champagned liner on my waterline and that literally my eyes sparkle and look much more natural

I'd agree with that aswell. I'm not a fan of white eyeliner on the waterline. I guess it's meant to make the eyes look bigger or something but to me it just looks weird.

Thanks for posting but I don't agree with the majority. Even the white liner on the waterline ;-)

Originally Posted by SarahAfshar /img/forum/go_quote.gif Here is another make-up beauty dont' that should be added...
White Eyeliner On Waterline DO NOT use white eyeliner on the waterline, if you are looking for your eyes to "pop" without being dramatic. I notice some girls use a white shade of liner on their waterline and assume that it gives an illusion of making the eyes stand out. The reality is, it doesn't work. If you want to achieve this effect, simply find a liner (whether eye or lip) that is a shade lighter than your actual skin color. This will blend in your eyes and make your eyes stand out, without the faux white look. Not only will this look natural, but will give you an even bigger illusion of possessing that "pop" look.

White eyeliner on the waterline works awesome for me! *shrugs* Doesn't look fake or overly dramatic at all. When I use beige or pinks, it makes me look tired.

Maybe the white liner trick varies with skin tone? I haven't tried it, but the contrast to my skin tone would be too stark.

I love the Maybelline Sierra Sands blush. I also sometimes use it on my eyes to add just a little extra shimmer
smile.gif

Thank you for sharing these tips. I'm no expert but a little blush blended with my eyeshadow kind of softens and blends the whole look together for me.

Latest posts

Back