Makeup for a cause

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great Post! October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and in addition to those things you've already mentioned, there are many other companies that will make donations to the various breast cancer charities with purchases, including Avon, MaryKay, M&Ms (there is a special bag of pink and white m&m's being sold this month!), KitchenAid (you can one of the awesome KitchenAid stand mixers in PINK!), and more! And don't forget to buy the Breast Cancer Awareness stamps! (I believe they'll only be around until December). Yes, they cost a few cents more, but it's worth it! And above all, don't forget that the best weapon in the early detection of breast cancer is monthly self examinations. Make a promise to yourself to make this part of your routine, and then KEEP THE PROMISE!

Also www.activasports.com sells workout clothes and the some of the proceeds will go to support breastcancer foundations, for example New Balance is contributing 5% of all sales proceeds of the pink ribbon products to the Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

biggrin.gif

THINK PINK!

I was putting together some info for a work project for Breast Cancer Awareness month, including info on "shopping for the cure". So here are a few more of the things you can buy to support Breast Cancer Awareness and finding a cure! (All or some of the proceeds for all these products go to various breast cancer charities.)

Ralph Lauren Ralph Lauren has a whole "Pink Pony" collection, including the Pink Pony candle for $38.00.

Clinique Buy the Clinique Awareness lip palette (ten great colors in a mirrored case with a lip brush) for $20.00

Stila BCA Lip Glaze compact $38.00 and comes with a lip brush!

Estee Lauder has many offerrings, including mints in the shape of little pink ribbons for $8. (Estee Lauder, by the way, started the "pink ribbon" as the symbol for breast cancer.)

Philosophy Remember all-in-one shampoo, conditioner and body wash for $20

Tweezerman Breast Cancer Awareness stainless steel tweezers $20

White + Warren has a gorgeous pink CASHMERE hoodie for $265.00

Jewelry various companies have jewelry offerings including a freshwater pearl and pink quartz necklace from May Yeung for $100 and gorgeous pink and silver beaded bracelet from elisa ilana for $135

I could go on and on and on! There are many online retailers who sell "Pink Ribbon" products, in ALL price ranges! If anybody wants info on where to buy some of these items just let me know!

I forgot one thing I wanted to include in my last post, in one thing I have since stumbled upon... QVC (the tv shopping channel) on October 15th from 7-10pm (Eastern time) will have the second annual Shoes on Sale benefit, with the net proceeds going to various cancer charities. Some of the designers participating include: Nine West, Espirit, Birkenstock and others. The other thing I found while reading a magazine this afternoon was a website, www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org An interesting site that, among other things, discusses the breast cancer awareness of various companies and how much they actually donate from sales of products marketed for breast cancer fund raising. An interesting site, and if you visit it and read their information, just keep this question in the back of your mind: is something better than nothing?

Pink, you seem to be very in touch with the Pink Ribbon thing...hopefully you dont have first hand experience with cancer......but let us know...please

Originally Posted by WearThePinkRibbon

I forgot one thing I wanted to include in my last post, in one thing I have since stumbled upon... QVC (the tv shopping channel) on October 15th from 7-10pm (Eastern time) will have the second annual Shoes on Sale benefit, with the net proceeds going to various cancer charities. Some of the designers participating include: Nine West, Espirit, Birkenstock and others. The other thing I found while reading a magazine this afternoon was a website, www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org An interesting site that, among other things, discusses the breast cancer awareness of various companies and how much they actually donate from sales of products marketed for breast cancer fund raising. An interesting site, and if you visit it and read their information, just keep this question in the back of your mind: is something better than nothing?

That I do not have breast cancer. About two months ago one of my friends was diagnosed with breast cancer. Too make a long story short, it should have been caught earlier than it was. She felt a lump, went to the doctor, and they did everything short of the ONE THING that could make a definite diagnosis(a biopsy), and sent her on her way telling her she was fine. (Okay, maybe this won't be so short...) A couple of months later she gets pregnant, and as you might expect, her boobs got bigger. Well, at around the 4th month, she lost the baby. When her boobs shrank back down, the lump was so huge (relatively speaking) that it was obvious something was wrong. So the docs finally did a biopsy, and guess what...it was cancer all along. That a friend of mine who is young (37) gets breast cancer was heartbreaking. But what shook me to my core and made me decide I needed to be involved spreading awareness, is how the medical system f*cked up on this. You see, this woman was in practically every high risk category that exists for women righ regard to breast cancer. Any one of them should have caused her doctor to insist on a biopsy. She has a family history of breast cancer, she is a long term smoker, she's a long term birth control pill user, and she has large, dense breasts, which make it harder to detect lumps with (just a) mammogram. Now she's had a double radical mastectomy, after which she was told she has a less than 50% chance of survival past two years. It seems the cancer has metastisized. Who knows if things would have been different had the surgery been done sooner. She is a single mother with two boys and a brand new mortgage. She's just started a particularly aggressive program of radiation and chemotherapy. And even with that, they still give her a less than 50% chance of being alive in two years. Sorry to be such a downer, but you asked!

Oh that is not a downer. It's a way for all of here to give some prayers now for her. It's nice that you have taken this on, many people have also. Keep up the good work! Has she stopped smoking? Did she smoke while pregnant? It's a sad story

Originally Posted by WearThePinkRibbon

That I do not have breast cancer. About two months ago one of my friends was diagnosed with breast cancer. Too make a long story short, it should have been caught earlier than it was. She felt a lump, went to the doctor, and they did everything short of the ONE THING that could make a definite diagnosis(a biopsy), and sent her on her way telling her she was fine. (Okay, maybe this won't be so short...) A couple of months later she gets pregnant, and as you might expect, her boobs got bigger. Well, at around the 4th month, she lost the baby. When her boobs shrank back down, the lump was so huge (relatively speaking) that it was obvious something was wrong. So the docs finally did a biopsy, and guess what...it was cancer all along. That a friend of mine who is young (37) gets breast cancer was heartbreaking. But what shook me to my core and made me decide I needed to be involved spreading awareness, is how the medical system f*cked up on this. You see, this woman was in practically every high risk category that exists for women righ regard to breast cancer. Any one of them should have caused her doctor to insist on a biopsy. She has a family history of breast cancer, she is a long term smoker, she's a long term birth control pill user, and she has large, dense breasts, which make it harder to detect lumps with (just a) mammogram. Now she's had a double radical mastectomy, after which she was told she has a less than 50% chance of survival past two years. It seems the cancer has metastisized. Who knows if things would have been different had the surgery been done sooner. She is a single mother with two boys and a brand new mortgage. She's just started a particularly aggressive program of radiation and chemotherapy. And even with that, they still give her a less than 50% chance of being alive in two years. Sorry to be such a downer, but you asked!

Yes, she stopped smoking as soon as she found out she was pregnant. And she didn't re-start. Yeah for her! Oh, and I swear this is not a soap opera, but her fiance dumped her right after she found out about the cancer. (Though of course that's not the reason he gives...)

Latest posts

Back