Mammogram?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Girls,

Has anyone here ever had a mammograme? Does anyone know what actually happens and if it is painful? What exactly does it involve? How long does it take? My friend has an appointment on the 12th of January as she has had problems with her right breast for a good while now.Perhaps about 2 years.This is her 3rd appointment because she has cancelled her other appointments in the past.I have tried to reason with her that it is better to have things checked rather than have a constant worry,but her shyness and fear are holding her back even though she know's she is being silly. Mabe if someone here could perhaps share their experience, it would give her that little bit of confidence she needs. Her Dr thinks she could have a cyst which gets very painful and tender, this causes pain in her arm when it is being used so it really needs to be looked at.I believe she has been told some quite frightening horror stories about the breast being clamped and sqaushed and prodded with big long needles.She doesn't have any female relatives to go with her. Any advice or info on this procedure would be very much appreciated.

PS, does the procedure involve one breast or 2?

Thanks for your time.

I felt apprehensive the first time too. And now I go faithfully every year as a preventive measure. She really has no need to be worried about the actual exam. Here in Canada, you fill out a form on your health history especially questions on cancer in the family etc. First time people will watch a video on self examination which is very interesting. Don't skip that part if you have the option to see it.

The xray is uncomfortable; I wouldn't call it painful just uncomfortable because each breast will be sandwiched between two x ray plates which is taken at all angles. Theres lots of positioning. All the while, the xray tech will be talking to you and re-assuring you. It may be painful for your friend because of her painful cyst; she can't avoid that. The whole test takes about 10-15 minutes. NO NEEDLES for a mammgraphy. Thats considered outpatient surgery in Canada which is done on another day and done only if the cyst looks suspicious to the doctor who looks at the results later. The exam always involves both breasts. I wish your friend luck. After everything is done, she may wonder why she worried about it in the first place. It might also help her if she brings along a female companion for support. Its not that terrifying...honestly.

Hi Candy, both my Mom and maternal Grandmother died from breast cancer so since I am considered high risk , I have been getting mammograms every year since I turned 30, I'm 44 now so I have had a few of them. It really is not painful at all, and like Kim said, it's mostly just uncomfortable because you have to stand close up to the machine and they place the breast on an x-ray plate and lower another plate on top, just a slight squeeze, nothing more. I've heard stories about how some people say how awful it is to get a mammogram, I can't for the life of me figure out what they are talking about or why they say such a thing. I'm just really glad that we have this technology available to us. I just know that your friend will do fine, and afterwards she will be be able to tell others that getting a mammogram is not the terrible ordeal that some have made it out to be, spreading the positive truth about getting a mammogram will help others who may also have fears about having this potential life saving procedure done.

I've never had one Candy so i can't give your friend any advice, i just want you to pass on my best wishes to her from me! And tell her not to back out of this appointment, it is really important to get checked out.

Latest posts

Back