Quantcast

Matte eyeshadows!!

Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews

Help Support Makeuptalk.com - Makeup forums and reviews:

Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
I believe matte eyeshadows give to eyes a more sophisticate look and they are better for fall and winter!I want your help because I use only eyeshadows with shimmers(frosty)and I now I wnat to buy matte e/s,I believe they are more long lasting than the frost e/s.I want darker matte e/s to use in the crease.Which brand has good matte e/s,that they won't be very chalky?I know that matte e/s have to be chalky,but I'm looking for the less chalky one!!Also what colors look better on eyes when they are matte?

 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Sophia Which brand has good matte e/s,that they won't be very chalky?I know that matte e/s have to be chalky,but I'm looking for the less chalky one!!Also what colors look better on eyes when they are matte? I think matt shades look more sophisticated in the Autumn and Winter too (although I do love a bit of shimmer at Christmas) Stila do some really nice matt e/s. I have an 8 pan with just matt colours in it, they have some nice crease colours and most are in the meutral colour range. Check out their website
http://www.stilacosmetics.com

They have options on the site now so you can display e/s and l/s by colour range and finish.

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks Trisha!!When the e/s in the crease is matte the e/s in the lid must to be matte to in order to blend right or not?Really Mac or Stila has better matte e/s?

Originally Posted by Trisha here are some of my fave matte e/s specifically crease shades
MAC

Swiss Chocolate

Fake

Bark

Stila

Toffee

Mood

Coco

Rain

and some other lighter matte e/s i love

Stila

Chinois

Boquet

Ecru (nearly matte)

Dune

Puppy

Eden

MAC

Bamboo

Brule

Vanilla

even when i use mattes i still like to add something with a soft shimmer (like Stila Starlight) on the browbone to open the eyes x

HTH x

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks Lealabell!Do you use these matte e/s often?

Originally Posted by Lealabell I think matt shades look more sophisticated in the Autumn and Winter too (although I do love a bit of shimmer at Christmas) Stila do some really nice matt e/s. I have an 8 pan with just matt colours in it, they have some nice crease colours and most are in the meutral colour range. Check out their website
http://www.stilacosmetics.com

They have options on the site now so you can display e/s and l/s by colour range and finish.

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks Trisha xxx

Originally Posted by Trisha you can mix up matte and shimmer in an eye combo, i think it gives a nice contrast!
also i do prefer Stila matte e/s to MAC, i find some matte e/s from MAC chalky and difficult to work with x

 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Sophia Thanks Trisha!!When the e/s in the crease is matte the e/s in the lid must to be matte to in order to blend right or not?Really Mac or Stila has better matte e/s? Stila's are loads better, I've had a really tought time trying to blend MAC matt shadows. You should definitely check out Eden, it's a fabulous colour and has looked great on anyone I've put it on.
To add to Trisha's list I love Tone, Rain and Fog, but I'm fair skinned and quite cool toned so I don't know how the colours would work out for you.

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks Lealabell!I have to go to a Stila counter and see the shades that they work for me!

Originally Posted by Lealabell Stila's are loads better, I've had a really tought time trying to blend MAC matt shadows. You should definitely check out Eden, it's a fabulous colour and has looked great on anyone I've put it on.
To add to Trisha's list I love Tone, Rain and Fog, but I'm fair skinned and quite cool toned so I don't know how the colours would work out for you.

 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Sophia Thanks Lealabell!I have to go to a Stila counter and see the shades that they work for me! Good luck, my matt shadows have by far the biggest dents in them, because I tend to wear them for work a lot. I find with neutral matt shadows I have to spend less time on the application because you don't need to blend as much or worry about putting too much on.
 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks!I haven't try any grey e/s before maybe I'll start using!What e/s brushes are perfect to apply matte e/s,light and darker?

Originally Posted by Trisha Forgot about those, i have them too!
this is a nice neutral gray eye look

Cloud to h/l

Fog on lid

Rain in crease

Storm to line

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the help Trisha xxx

Originally Posted by Trisha #5 is great for applying matte shades to lid, #7 for crease, as always #9 for highlight and #4 for lining x
tho i do highly reccommend #15 as you can use the larger side to apply matte e/s to lid and the small end for smokey lining x

 
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
My favorite MAC Matte e/s:

Espresso

Yoghurt (very muted pale pink-- I like this one because its natural and soft)

Shadowy Lady

Swiss Chocolate

Greystone

Sometime Sophia, too much matte e/s can really wash out your face, so I suggest using a combination of matte and frosty shadows for a nice look (or if you're going to do a completely matte eye, do glossy lips or a shimmery cheek).

<Oh! I see Trisha just mentioned this, lol... what she said.>

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the tips ikebana!Maybe I should try in the lid a light shimmer e/s and in crease a darker matte one!

Originally Posted by ikebana My favorite MAC Matte e/s:
Espresso

Yoghurt (very muted pale pink-- I like this one because its natural and soft)

Shadowy Lady

Swiss Chocolate

Greystone

Sometime Sophia, too much matte e/s can really wash out your face, so I suggest using a combination of matte and frosty shadows for a nice look (or if you're going to do a completely matte eye, do glossy lips or a shimmery cheek).

<oh !="" i="" see="" trisha="" just="" mentioned="" this="" lol="" what="" she="" said="">

</oh>
 
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Sophia Thanks for the tips ikebana!Maybe I should try in the lid a light shimmer e/s and in crease a darker matte one!
</OH>

That's a good idea Sophia.
To do that type of look with soft brown colors, try (remember blend!! the matte and frosty e/s should flow nicely into one another for a seamless look).

MAC Patina (Frost) on lid.

MAC Espresso (Matte) in crease.

MAC Shroom (Satin) on browbone

MAC Eye Kohl in Teddy for upper lashline.



 

Liz

Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
9,784
Reaction score
2
it's good to mix different textures to give more depth. and sometimes when you use all frost, it can look muddy.

mac has other textures that aren't too frosty. like satin, velvet and veluxe.

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks Liz!I've tried once a veluxe e/s from Mac but I didn't like it!maybe the other textures are better!!

Originally Posted by Liz it's good to mix different textures to give more depth. and sometimes when you use all frost, it can look muddy.
mac has other textures that aren't too frosty. like satin, velvet and veluxe.

 
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
4,847
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the reccommendations ikebana!But I definetely have to get a blending brush because I don't have,I never had in my life,(I know,I'm a bad girl)and I have practise in how to blend the e/s!

Originally Posted by ikebana That's a good idea Sophia.
To do that type of look with soft brown colors, try (remember blend!! the matte and frosty e/s should flow nicely into one another for a seamless look).

MAC Patina (Frost) on lid.

MAC Espresso (Matte) in crease.

MAC Shroom (Satin) on browbone

MAC Eye Kohl in Teddy for upper lashline.



 

Latest posts

Top