Men and Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, what do the men in your life (SO's, brothers, etc) think of your mu obsession? Have they learned things about mu, do they ever give opinions on what you wear? Or do they just not care?
wink.gif

I've just thought it's funny that hubby is starting to learn a little about mu and notice it more ... when we first met I didn't wear much mu (and I wore the exact same thing every day), and now that I'm learning more about mu and trying new things, he's ended up learning a little bit and has suddenly become more aware of mu ... He's told me what his favorite eye look and lip color is on me, so I make sure I wear those often on dates
wink.gif
And he's even started commenting on other girl's mu, like the newscasters on CNN ... Like the other day, he saw an African-American woman wearing some reddish-brown e/s, and said out of the blue (we hadn't even been talking about mu!), "that e/s looks really good on her ... but I'm not sure it would look as good on you with your pale skin!" And the scary thing was that I agreed with him! lol We've also gotten in the habit of commenting on Nancy Grace's big necklaces and bold e/s each night! lol

So I was just wondering if your guys ever pay much attention to mu or whether they even like it!

DBF always tells me I don't need the makeup, but if it makes me happy he's all for it. He prefers less "wild unnatural colors" as he puts it (like Milani clover which is similar to MAC Humid he wasn't crazy about) but he's honest about it and critiques my application and certifies if a look if professional enough for work. He's actually got good taste. He's not crazy about lipglosses though, mainly because of the kiss factor.

He is very observant sometimes though---the first time I used a fluidliner and actually applied liner well enough that I didn't wash it off, when he saw me he said "Wow honey your eyes look really good today. They just pop."
icon_smile.gif
I love my fluidliners...and dbf.

I got told i looked like a clown when i wore Creme De Violet!! My guy absolutely hates make up & always said he'd love if i wore none for a full week. Like that's ever gonna happen. Ya i may lay off doing dramatic eyes while my eyes are irritated but i'm never gonna give up on foundation or mascara!

lol, that's awesome, it looks like we are educating men about mu
wink.gif
Hey, if hubby wants to teach me all about football I should teach him about mu, right? lol

By the way, CWHF, I've seen you use the abbreviation "dbf" before ... I assume the bf is for "boyfriend" but what does the d stand for?
confused.gif

My poor hubby knows about makeup too much,Everytime i buy i have to find a way to justfiy it.So i go on and on about how much i need it and whatgreat looks i will have.Thankfully he is really good about it all,he knows now when i go shopping i am coming home with a new es or gloss
icon_cheesygrin.gif

jeffy has learned quite a bit
smile.gif
he still wont let me put make up on him but i let him put make up on me once. he did a really good job for a boy i actually went out in public
smile.gif
maybe one day ill let him do it again and take a pic. he understands my obsession with lipgloss sort of and he knows why i love eyeliner though he says it makes me look like i have a black eye and he doesnt know why i put foundation on to cover up my red cheeks then put blush on to put red back in my cheeks
wink.gif

Generally he doesn't care and has no interest. When I do wild MU for going out clubbing he always comments if he likes it. He generally doesn't like me wearing anything on my lips, even plain lip balm, because of kissing, but he still kisses me anyway.

My husband just laughs at me once in a while, especially since I got my new traincase!

He doesn't really notice unless people have too much makeup on. He's like me and likes the more natural/subtle approach to makeup.

DBF= dear boyfriend when he's good and darn (or other words, use your imagination) when he's not!
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by girl_geek lol, that's awesome, it looks like we are educating men about mu
wink.gif
Hey, if hubby wants to teach me all about football I should teach him about mu, right? lol
By the way, CWHF, I've seen you use the abbreviation "dbf" before ... I assume the bf is for "boyfriend" but what does the d stand for?
confused.gif

Originally Posted by CWHF DBF= dear boyfriend when he's good and darn (or other words, use your imagination) when he's not!
icon_smile.gif
lol, that's hilarious, I learned a new abbreviation today
wink.gif

Reminds me of my aunt and uncle's old cat who was named DC ... for "darn" cat
wink.gif

He doesn't say much other then "you dont need all that stuff".. Well, i guess in my mind, i do. What does he know anyway!

Originally Posted by MacForMe He doesn't say much other then "you dont need all that stuff".. Well, i guess in my mind, i do. What does he know anyway! You know, sometimes even my hubby tries to convince me to go out with my mu (mainly if he's just in a hurry though!); even though he likes some of my mu he also thinks I look fine without it ... I'm like, "can't you see all these zits?!" lol
I never leave the house without at least covering up the acne and the shine
wink.gif

My daughter's father always said he didn't like makeup on girls. When I was pregnant, I stopped wearing it and now that I startred again he calls me "girly" and thinks it's funny that our 2 year-old gets into my makeup all the time. He came to see her this weekend and he didn't comment that Emily has bright pink nailpolish on her fingers and toes, or that she asked for a "sage" (massage with baby lotion)before bed. He just gave me a look. But when we were together he used to love to try my skincare and he made me buy him a strawberry sugar scrub. I tried on and didn't like it, but he loved it so he made me buy it for him. Also, Matt used to wear makeup sometimes for me, because i used to promote rock bands and he knows I like that look.

Originally Posted by girl_geek So, what do the men in your life (SO's, brothers, etc) think of your mu obsession? Have they learned things about mu, do they ever give opinions on what you wear? Or do they just not care?
wink.gif

I've just thought it's funny that hubby is starting to learn a little about mu and notice it more ... when we first met I didn't wear much mu (and I wore the exact same thing every day), and now that I'm learning more about mu and trying new things, he's ended up learning a little bit and has suddenly become more aware of mu ... He's told me what his favorite eye look and lip color is on me, so I make sure I wear those often on dates
wink.gif
And he's even started commenting on other girl's mu, like the newscasters on CNN ... Like the other day, he saw an African-American woman wearing some reddish-brown e/s, and said out of the blue (we hadn't even been talking about mu!), "that e/s looks really good on her ... but I'm not sure it would look as good on you with your pale skin!" And the scary thing was that I agreed with him! lol We've also gotten in the habit of commenting on Nancy Grace's big necklaces and bold e/s each night! lol

So I was just wondering if your guys ever pay much attention to mu or whether they even like it!

when i first met my boyfriend, i thought it was interesting that he knew so much about women's makeup and clothing!! omg, i always have to take him along when i shop for cosmetics, cause he makes comments, like " ur bone structure looks better with this kind of eyebrows..."etc. and since he is in chemical engineering, when i shop, he looks at the the ingredients, and tells me specifically what each one if for, and which skincare products are likely to work.

that's why i thought he was gay or an extreme metrosexual intially because he knew so much about cosmetics and skincare.

he actually reccomends products to me (mostly skincare)!

but most importantly, he understands that makeup takes time to put on.

so when we go out to dinner, he opens up the newspaper, plops on the couch and say, "take all the time u need."

Funny stories!! omg Suger, I literally LOL'ed on the gay part!!!
icon_lol.gif

Leo really couldn't care less... I'll ask if something looks dumb, and he'll just give me an "It's fine"
icon_frown.gif
(no help there! lol) But once I did get an "It's nice" (ooooh boy!
icon_rolleyes.gif
) Although he is always giving me the "You're on that site AGAIN!?!?!" (Yup! lol
icon_cheesygrin.gif
) and makes 'fun' of me to all his friends saying my hard drive is clogged up of "Millions of pictures of her eyes"
icon_redface.gif
(Try explaining the reason of FOTD pics to a bunch of guys
icon_eek.gif
) Otherwise - I just get the 'How much did you spend on makeup this week!?!?!" response when I come back from the mall... UGH!
wink.gif

My current man never used to notice anything about makeup. He did comment a few times how I always did my own makeup way better than any makeup artist who worked on me when I used to act and model and do the other stuff
icon_twisted.gif

But now that I've been doing makeup for a few mainstream projects and I've got a few big ones coming up, makeup is all he notices!!! He's always commenting about the makeup of people on TV or in films or even on the street...it's hilarious to me because he'll ask me things like, "what kind of products do you think they used to get that look" or "why would anyone want to put that color on their face"? It's funny to me, but it's cool that he's showing an interest in what I'm doing now cuz before he was always trying to convince to go back to what I used to do...and I'm so over that.
icon_rolleyes.gif

When I first met my BF, he wasn't into makeup at all. Well partly because I never wore makeup and wasn't a makeup artist then. He loves me with nothing at all, but lately I find him commenting more and more about my FOTD's.

For example he prefers me in green or pink eyeshadow, with sparkles. Sheer foundation and a little pink blush. He likes me in pink or peach glosses too. A lot of the time, if he likes my makeup that day he will want to take pics of it. He appreciates the time and artistry I put into my face and really loves when I get creative and use lot's of color. He's extremely supportive of my job and thinks I work "miracles" on peoples faces. He definitely notices other peoples makeup too. He can recognize what brand I am wearing......"Is that a MAC shadow???, he always says. And he is always right!

Latest posts

Back