Microdermabrasion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are so many posts on Microdermabrasion to read through that I thought I would ease my decision process (regardless of price) by polling everyone. So, if you've tried it and you like it....vote here.

Thanks a bunch!!

I like the Neutrogena so I haven't tried anything else. It really does a good job of evening out my skin tone and getting rid of invisible pimple like bumps under my skin. As far as fine lines and blackheads, it's not doing much. I really wanted to try the Dermanew when it came out but it was just too expensive.

I also love Epidermx. My skin is so much better since I've been using it. I have been using it almost a year. It has helped fade my acne scars and my skin looks so much healthier.

I'm so scared of microdermabrasion!! It sounds like trying to rip my skin off. Is there an extra gentle product that would be good for a 'fraidy cat like me?

I had the real microdermabrasion done about 5 years ago and it was wonderful. I recently bought the neutragena and it broke me out, although it did make my face very soft. My skin is very sensitive and I have a lot of wrinkles starting to pop up. I think it's time for another micro-dermabrasion visit.

Kim,

Where can I buy Epidermx? I've had the real Microdermibrasion done and it's very expensive, but if there is something out there that has natural ingredients and my sensitive skin won't break out, I may just want to give it a try.

Originally Posted by Naturally I'm sure most microdermabrasions will do the same thing ..and that's to rid that dead layer of skin and even up the surface area ..among other things!
What DID sell me on the Epidermx is that is has NO CRAP or FILLERS in it ..it's made from all natural ingredients. Okay ..so you say SO WHAT or WHO CARES ..think about this ...when you are rubbing/massaging the microdermabrasion product INTO your skin ..WHAT ELSE ARE YOU RUBBING/MASSAGING into it (all the crap & fillers if there) ..DO I want chemicals, fillers, etc in my skin? NO!

I chose to get it wholesale vs retail and also sell it ..'cause I really like it and believe in it!

I have never done/had microdermabrasion. what are the benifits of it? Should I have it done/do it? I am only 14 with oily-ance prone skin.

Hi Horseluver

I would not recommend it for teens. I would say its more for 18 and older its really for softening problem skin (acne scars, sun damage) You are just starting out, your skin is just beautiful I'm sure.

Originally Posted by horse_luver I have never done/had microdermabrasion. what are the benifits of it? Should I have it done/do it? I am only 14 with oily-ance prone skin.

I love Epidermx. That's the only one i've tried but i like that its not too harsh yet it does the job well plus as Kim already mentioned, it uses all natural ingredients.

Suziqq322 - Kim actually sells it so maybe you should send her a PM. I know they have their own website too but i cant remember the address, sorry!

I really like Dr. Brandt's Microdermabrasion in a Jar. But I can't really say that's the best one b/c I haven't tried anything else!
icon_redface.gif

I love microdermabrasion and give myself a once a week treatment. I agree with Kim that it's important to use an all natural microdermabrasion system, especially since you're skin is more sensitive during the treatment and any chemicals will most likely produce breakouts. I make mine by hand, and just feel safer doing it that way. Also another thing I'm noticing is that a lot of companies are selling expensive kits that come with these motorized facial brushes and sponges which aren't necesary at all. In fact you can get a deeper exfoliation using your fingers as you can apply more pressure and have better control. You're better off saving the extra 20 bucks=)

Originally Posted by essentialskin I love microdermabrasion and give myself a once a week treatment. I agree with Kim that it's important to use an all natural microdermabrasion system, especially since you're skin is more sensitive during the treatment and any chemicals will most likely produce breakouts. I make mine by hand, and just feel safer doing it that way. Also another thing I'm noticing is that a lot of companies are selling expensive kits that come with these motorized facial brushes and sponges which aren't necesary at all. In fact you can get a deeper exfoliation using your fingers as you can apply more pressure and have better control. You're better off saving the extra 20 bucks=) Made by hand?? Would you mind sharing the recipe??

Originally Posted by essentialskin ...Also another thing I'm noticing is that a lot of companies are selling expensive kits that come with these motorized facial brushes and sponges which aren't necesary at all. In fact you can get a deeper exfoliation using your fingers as you can apply more pressure and have better control. You're better off saving the extra 20 bucks=) I'm glad you mentioned that b/c I thought it would be better to have the "equipment".

No problem, it's a good marketing tool to make buyers think that a little cheap plastic brush is needed in order for the microdermabrasion to work, but really it probably cost the company less than a dollar to make and then they charge you an extra $20 for it.

Unfortunetly I can't give my recipe away for how I make mine because it is an Essential Skincare product, but I can list the ingredients as I always list all the ingredients for all my products. Ingredients: corundum aluminum oxide crystals(medical grade),aloe vera,grape seed oil,emulsifier,jojoba oil,stearic acid,hemp seed oil,essential oils of sandalwood,lavender,camphor,helichrysum,grapefruit ,preservative.

Hope that helps=)

I use LiquaPar Optima because it's non irritating to the skin and is it is safe for the environment=)

Originally Posted by Naturally what is the preservative used?

Originally Posted by suzukigrrl I'm so scared of microdermabrasion!! It sounds like trying to rip my skin off. Is there an extra gentle product that would be good for a 'fraidy cat like me? I'm scared too!

Originally Posted by essentialskin No problem, it's a good marketing tool to make buyers think that a little cheap plastic brush is needed in order for the microdermabrasion to work, but really it probably cost the company less than a dollar to make and then they charge you an extra $20 for it.
Unfortunetly I can't give my recipe away for how I make mine because it is an Essential Skincare product, but I can list the ingredients as I always list all the ingredients for all my products. Ingredients: corundum aluminum oxide crystals(medical grade),aloe vera,grape seed oil,emulsifier,jojoba oil,stearic acid,hemp seed oil,essential oils of sandalwood,lavender,camphor,helichrysum,grapefruit ,preservative.

Hope that helps=)

I might have to try yours out!!
Melissa

Originally Posted by essentialskin No problem, it's a good marketing tool to make buyers think that a little cheap plastic brush is needed in order for the microdermabrasion to work, but really it probably cost the company less than a dollar to make and then they charge you an extra $20 for it.

Hope that helps=)

Ah, I didn't realize you had your own skin care company. I don't think I have the expertise to put the ingredients together into something that would work, so I'll put your products on my wish list.

Hi Sondra,

Is there any other information out there on Essential Skin other than the website?

Originally Posted by essentialskin I use LiquaPar Optima because it's non irritating to the skin and is it is safe for the environment=)

Don't worry there's nothing to be scared of=) It's not like a chemical peel where your skin stings and your stuck in the house for a week.

Think of microdermabrasion as a deeper and more efficient facial exfoliation. The composition of the Aluminum Oxide Crystals are what make the treatment so effective. They are hard, meaning they wont be absorbed into the skin or be effected by the rubbing. They are also ground perfectly round and to the exact same size. This is why microdermabrasion is able to deeply exfoliate without harming the skin. Other facial scrubs that use shells such as apricot scrubs, or pumice scrubs contain jagged edges and are various sizes which causes tiny superficial scartches on the skins surface and can spread acne causing bacteria.

In other words microdermabrasion is a more proper way of efficiently exfoliating your skin and you can easily adjust how deep your exfoliation is by the duration you decide to rub the treatment into your skin. So if you just want a light exfoliation, you would just rub the cream into your skin until it becomes dry and then rinse. For a deep microdermabrasion you just keep rubbing your skin even after the cream feels dry.

Then what happens is, as the aluminum oxide crystals start to grab your dead skin, little eraser like clumps start to form on your skin and fall off. This is a mixture of dead skin cells and aluminum oxide crystals. For the deepest microdermabrasion simply rub your skin until no more eraser like clumps are left. It's that easy, rinse your skin and your done.

Microdermabrasion is safe to do once a week, don't do it every day as your skin needs time to heal. I noticed Nuetragena's direction said to do a treatment every day for 5 days, which is very strange and tells you either 1. your not getting a full microdermabrasion, just an exfoliation, which is probably only do to the fact that their facial brush doesn't apply as much pressure as your fingers can or 2. they're giving bad direction lol. But either way just do it once a week or you're going to irritate your skin.

I hope this takes some of the fear away=) It's really a painless and easy to do process and the results are amazing.

Latest posts

Back