Migraines --- HELP!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope someone will be able to answer this for me. I used to get migraines a lot in high school and these past two weeks, I've had nearly a non-stop headache complete with nausea and sensitivity to lights and noise. I'm near certain it is a migraine. I have tried everything OTC that says "migraine" on the bottle to no avail. Since I run my own business & have pre-existing conditions, health insurance is much to expensive, so I really don't want to see a doctor. If someone could tell me a medication that will help, that would be great. I have access to some prescriptions meds since my boyfriend's father is a doctor. Or, if you think it might not be a migraine, please tell me. It's really hard to get my work done daily while squinting at the computer. Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by GlossAddict I hope someone will be able to answer this for me. I used to get migraines a lot in high school and these past two weeks, I've had nearly a non-stop headache complete with nausea and sensitivity to lights and noise. I'm near certain it is a migraine. I have tried everything OTC that says "migraine" on the bottle to no avail. Since I run my own business & have pre-existing conditions, health insurance is much to expensive, so I really don't want to see a doctor. If someone could tell me a medication that will help, that would be great. I have access to some prescriptions meds since my boyfriend's father is a doctor. Or, if you think it might not be a migraine, please tell me. It's really hard to get my work done daily while squinting at the computer. Thanks in advance! Having suffered from migraines myself,I used to take something called Fiorinal(sp?).But it would knock me out so it was hard to function normally..Have you tried the new Excedrin Migraine formula??It works wonders

Originally Posted by allisong Having suffered from migraines myself,I used to take something called Fiorinal(sp?).But it would knock me out so it was hard to function normally..Have you tried the new Excedrin Migraine formula??It works wonders Excedrin Migraine is what's sitting in front of me right now.. my latest one... it does absolutely nothing. Doesn't even decrease the pain at all. I don't understand.. everyone says it's so great. I'm having my boyfriend try and snag some pain pills from his dad's... I can't get a prescription, just what he has on hand, so we'll see. I feel terrible. I might look for the Fiorinal or however it's spelled... that may have been what I took years ago.. I can't remember.

I was getting very bad headaches and found out it was that I was spending too much time on my pc. May I suggest that you invest in a monitor filter, it has helped me greatly and reduced the glare significantly. I still get headaches but not as often. I also try to take breaks from the PC during the day. Other than that I have been using Bayer.

I've been getting migraines for the last 5 years... and have never taken any kind of perscription meds for them... I tried once - but the side effects were sometimes worse than the headaches! I love Excedrin Migraine... they work very well for me. I even take them for regular headaches (which after 10 min. of taking the pill ... are gone!) I love them... I give them to everyone. I've started a fan base! lol For SERIOUS migraines... you should take it in the VERY BEGINNING of it... people with migraines usually know when one is coming on. (pain on one side of the head) The thing with migraines is that even with perscription meds it is VERY hard to stop the pain once it's full blown. Once you feel any pain, take the pill... and it will work. Give the Excedrin's a try early on when you feel one coming... see if it works for you.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by NYAngel98 I've been getting migraines for the last 5 years... and have never taken any kind of perscription meds for them... I tried once - but the side effects were sometimes worse than the headaches! I love Excedrin Migraine... they work very well for me. I even take them for regular headaches (which after 10 min. of taking the pill ... are gone!) I love them... I give them to everyone. I've started a fan base! lol For SERIOUS migraines... you should take it in the VERY BEGINNING of it... people with migraines usually know when one is coming on. (pain on one side of the head) The thing with migraines is that even with perscription meds it is VERY hard to stop the pain once it's full blown. Once you feel any pain, take the pill... and it will work. Give the Excedrin's a try early on when you feel one coming... see if it works for you.
wink.gif
Yeah, I tried Excedrin Migraine at the beginning of this one... didn't do much. It's worse because I have to be on the computer all day. The Excedrin doesn't even dull the pain in the least. I don't get it.. everyone else swears by them and I get no relief at all. My boyfriend's dad is a pain doctor, so if it keeps up, I might just ask him for an injection... I don't know though.

Hi Gloss, I'm sorry to hear that you are having these headaches, I have suffered from migraines off and on since I was 14, my Mom had them and now my youngest daughter is getting them also. I tried Imitrex a couple of times but the first time it didn't help at all and the second time I honestly think it made me feel worse. A few years ago my Dr. prescribed Fiorinal (Butalbital-generic) and it is the only drug that has worked for me, they can prescribe it with or without codeine in it, I can't take codeine so I get it without, but it still works. It is considered a strong narcotic so it may definetly cause side effects like drowsiness, maybe because I get it without the codeine it doesn't make me sleepy at all though, it just zaps the headache so I can go on about my day. I also take the Excedrin migraine and it works pretty good if I catch the headache in time. I hope you find some relief, I know how crappy these things can be.

Originally Posted by Harleymom10860 Hi Gloss, I'm sorry to hear that you are having these headaches, I have suffered from migraines off and on since I was 14, my Mom had them and now my youngest daughter is getting them also. I tried Imitrex a couple of times but the first time it didn't help at all and the second time I honestly think it made me feel worse. A few years ago my Dr. prescribed Fiorinal (Butalbital-generic) and it is the only drug that has worked for me, they can prescribe it with or without codeine in it, I can't take codeine so I get it without, but it still works. It is considered a strong narcotic so it may definetly cause side effects like drowsiness, maybe because I get it without the codeine it doesn't make me sleepy at all though, it just zaps the headache so I can go on about my day. I also take the Excedrin migraine and it works pretty good if I catch the headache in time. I hope you find some relief, I know how crappy these things can be. Yup totally agree on the Fiorinal..It's a beautiful thing

Originally Posted by allisong Yup totally agree on the Fiorinal..It's a beautiful thing Oh the drawbacks to lacking health insurance.

Originally Posted by GlossAddict Oh the drawbacks to lacking health insurance. Having not had health insurance at one time or another I've found ways to get what I need..You can always talk to your pharmacist about filling a partial prescription.Say getting a weeks worth at a time..Most pharmcists will gladly do this for you..That way you don't have to bear the brunt of a huge Rx bill all at once

Originally Posted by allisong Having not had health insurance at one time or another I've found ways to get what I need..You can always talk to your pharmacist about filling a partial prescription.Say getting a weeks worth at a time..Most pharmcists will gladly do this for you..That way you don't have to bear the brunt of a huge Rx bill all at once So I can just go in and say, "hey I want xxx" and they'll just give it to me???

Originally Posted by GlossAddict So I can just go in and say, "hey I want xxx" and they'll just give it to me??? Yup..Just explain to them that you're paying out of pocket and most pharmacists are happy to help.

I have had migraines most of my life. I am 32 yrs. old now. Nothing over the counter works for me, not even the Excedrin migraine med. So I know how you feel! I have tried a number of Rx's, and most do not work. The only thing I have had that works is the Rx Relpax. I use to take the immatrex injections, but they never worked. And being allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen, my choices for over the counter med's are very limited. Your headaches sound just like mine and I have had mine diagnosed by a doctor as migraines. Like I said before, I have been having them ever since I can remember. However, I use to have them everyday for years, before finding something that worked. Now I have them less often, but still at least 3-4x a month. Unfortunately, you may have to see a doctor to find something that works. And even then, you may have to go through a few Rx's before you find one that works. I did. I feel for you and anyone else that has migraines. I do hope you get relief soon.

I have them too and found that cutting salt out of my diet helps and also eating little and often such as a couple of salt free crackers . Another great thing is to get one of those aloe vera cooling patches and or taking a few drops of lavender essential oil on a tissue and breathing it in. They are a complete nightmare and i get them worse at the time of the month when i have to turn all the lights off .

Latest posts

Back