Mineral Makeup for an affordable (CHEAP) price!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm really wanting to try Mineral Makeup. I'm also on a VERY tight budget.

I have acne/acne scars/large pores. I really want something to cover my imperfections instead of making them the center of attention. I've heard tons of good things about mineral makeup being able to make that happen.

Two (cheap) brands I have found so far are:

SweetFace Minerals (eBay) - I can find any reviews on this (except the reviews on their website)

freshMinerals (Cherry Culture) - The reviews I have found for this brand are making me want to pass on it.

My birthday is coming up and my family and my beau have all promised me a "Makeup Shopping Spree" (with a limited budget).

I've already got a wishlist and e-mailed them, but when it came to the mineral makeup portion I left it open as I don't know which direction to go with that.

We have a Micabella kiosk in the mall, but they are WAY out of my price range.

Also, I believe E.L.F. has a mineral makeup line that seems affordable. Any opinions on this brands mineral makeup? I have bought other makeup from them (and a store local to me carries some of their mineral eyeshadows that I'm wanting to go purchase).

I'm new to mineral makeup. I've always used a liquid foundation with a powder over it. I live in hot, humid, sweaty Florida so staying power is a must.

As of right now, I'm really considering the E.L.F. mineral makeup, just because they are *to me* the most affordable option.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!!!

I have used Maybelline for the past year or 2 and love it.  I've also recently been using this Ebay sellers mineral makeup and it's amazing.  It's less pink than the Maybelline so it blends in really well with my skin.  It has excellent coverage too.  They sell 2 10oz for 13 bucks or 5 10oz for 27 (this one should last a couple years!)

I def check them out.

Thanks!

Edited to Add:

How would I determine what color I would wear?

My current foundation is Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse in Creamy Natural (Light 5) which is now to dark for me. (I used to tan more, but as I learned that I am more at risk for skin cancer I quite and have begun to lighten up a lot).

I haven't worn any foundation lately (or done my makeup) until I figure out what color I will need.

Edited to Add (Again lol):

I need a good tut on how to apply it. I'm set in my ways with my current foundation, but I've been told that you apply the mineral foundation differently.

The eBay seller.

I'll take a trip to the drugstore tomorrow and see if they have the Maybelline in stock.

They have a color guide here.  I went by the description as well as the picture.  The color was a perfect match for me.

Maybelline Mineral Power is also really good. It's like $9 at my Walgreens so I would imagine it's less at a Target.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They have a color guide here.  I went by the description as well as the picture.  The color was a perfect match for me.

Thanks! That was what I was looking for, but couldn't seem to find.

e.l.f. is cheapest, you just missed the -50% on all mineral stuff in their web store (ended on Monday).

Subscribe to their newsletter, I bet the -50% offer will come around again in a month or so - get the entire bundle 50% off. 

A word of warning - e.l.f.'s foundations contain bismuth - may cause an allergic reaction if one has sensitive skin. Color range is also a bit too limited to my liking. Coverage is light to medium. Eyeshadows are AMAZING: definitely get Socialite, Smoldering, Royal, Confident, Earthy, Dreamy, Celebrity and Elegant. Leave the matte ones. I also quite liked the blemish powder and the shimmer powder for highlighting. Blushes are nice too. For pale cool folks like me Pink is just awesome.

For starters I would like to recommend Everyday Minerals's free sample set (you only pay the postage). But I must warn you - although EDMs products are ok, the company itself sucks. For long term (if you decide mineral makeup is something you like) I suggest sampling other indie mineral makeup companies: Alima, Joppa, Lucy, Meow, MAD Minerals, Ocean Mist etc

Those infomercials showing the miraculous disappearance of blemishes are a bit misleading - most mineral makeup will not give you 100% coverage. It is perfect for evening out the skintone and from afar the skin looks flawless. Close up it wont look 100% perfect. It will take quite a lot of time and luck to find the formula that's best for you.

I use the drugstore L'Oreal mineral foundation. I have oily/acne prone skin and it has great coverage. I was using bare minerals but it got to expensive for me. The only down side to minerals for me is the mess. Loose powder isn't ideal for makeup on the go. I suggest using a product with benzoyl peroxide for your acne problems. It really helped me.

Hi,Everyday minerals is a very affordable mineral makeup brand, i have never tried it myself ( i need to try it someday ) but i have seen a lot of good reviews about their products :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> just search for everyday minerals reviews on google. i hope this could help you:)

Originally Posted by beautystar08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi,Everyday minerals is a very affordable mineral makeup brand, i have never tried it myself ( i need to try it someday ) but i have seen a lot of good reviews about their products :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> just search for everyday minerals reviews on google. i hope this could help you:)
I love Everyday Minerals...it's perfect for work...the colors are neutral yet still pretty!  here is my stash...and swatch of the colors i own

I have a giveaway on my blog, if you would like to enter: *edited by mod* 

The prize is a mineral make-up starter kit.

SilkNaturals, SweetScents (ebay), Noella Beautyworks (etsy) Brazen Cosmetics(artfire, Etsy), Concrete Minerals (etsy)

Etsy has a ton of MMU sellers and lots of them have stunning colors at affordable prices. Just read ingredient lists really well. When in doubt sample.

Good Luck with your search.

Hi There!

New to the forum so I figured I would respond to this one!

There are a ton of independent MMU companies out there for a very affordable price! I love Beauty From the Earth - they are fantastic!

There is a brand on Etsy that I have been introduced to that's super cool and that's Vandaleyez Cosmetics. They have super unique colors and collections and they have a good selection of mineral eyeshadows. Don't think they really do much with the face or anything like that, but if you're looking for new and unique colors you can try them.

Vandaleyez - http://www.etsy.com/shop/Vandaleyez

Beauty From the Earth - http://bftecosmetics.com/

Concrete Minerals also used to be on Etsy and they are another really great company. She has since branched to her own website! http://concreteminerals.com/shop/

Good luck with your searching!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that eyeshadow on your teeth?

Why yes, yes it is.

You've got to try the "Smooth MInerals" Collection from Avon. I use the mineral veil. I love it!

Mod note: Link deleted.

i am using maybelline healthy smooth minerals concealer .. it is light weight , great coverage and get adapts to skin easily and way cheaper than others..

I have combination skin and it loves Neutragena Mineral Sheers compact powder foundation.The coverage is superb.I've gotten compliments  since I changed my mineral foundation brand.I've never broken out even when I wore it for two days straight.It's only 11.99 and money stays in my pocket so I can spend it on other things =)

I love my LAMinerals... and you can get their sample sizes at an affordable price to try out all their goodies!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Latest posts

Back