MY MASSIVE DECLUTTER AND NEW START!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am done with hoarding forever!

My No Buy plan is ending in a dramatic way - but I'll have a new and better plan soon!

I am suffering now from a case of bedbugs in my room! It's miserable, scary, emotionally and physically taxing! I read that clutter is a really big cause of this type of infestation, and I decided to drastically declutter and clean all my belongings and start anew. Yesterday I threw away some of my books (bedbugs particularly like to hide in books) and some of my makeup - the shades the beauty boxes sent me that I really do not like. I am getting rid of all of the Glossyboxes and Birchboxes I had piled up with old expiring cosmetics. As a person who could not bear to throw one thing away, this is a big step. I'm hoping the big declutter will be good for my physical and metal health, and then I can start fresh with a new plan, never hoarding again. This will be a new series by me, and I will document my transition away from hoarding. I needed to reach rock bottom and have a wakeup call before I would stop this behavior. I am working on this in all of my spare time at the moment.

I feel embarrassed to come onto a glamorous beauty forum and talk about having a bedbug problem. :mad:It's something that makes you feel not very good about yourself. But, others may be going through this and Googling the topic, as I have been, and this may help someone else. I want to make something good come out of it.

Tomorrow is my day off, and garbage collection day, so time to declutter, clean, throw away, and spray! Also time for lots of vacuuming (the vacuum has to be emptied after each use) and hot water laundry. The bedbugs are scary. They hide in little cracks in the furniture, in the drawer or chair, and when you spray, they come out of the hiding places. The bites are not comfortable. Trying to think of the nice clean, decluttered, organized space I'll have at the end, how lovely it will be, and some rewards I will give myself for meeting my goals.

Rewards for decluttering:

Goal - declutter books - reward - Audible subscription.
Goal - declutter beauty products - reward - nice plastic bins to keep products in, instead of boxes, and one small beauty subscription service and a few new products.
Goal - declutter closets and drawers - a few new outfits.
Goal - have beautifully clean, decluttered room - reward - little Christmas tree this year.

I'm not going to buy anything new until everything is nice and clean and clear (No Buy). Don't want new things to be infested! After that, I can make a fresh start, but won't ever hoard too much again!

Last edited:
I did the exact same with my books! I sold them all on ebay and got an audible subscription instead! I think I just got used to them all stacked up and now i have my space back!

Tomorrow is trash night! Declutter is going slowly. The trash collectors come twice a week, and there is only so much I can throw away at once. Researching my bedbug problem (I feel so bad talking about this, but feel I must), I found that I had all the conditions to encourage the infestation, namely clutter, boxes, piles of stuff on the floor, piles of laundry on the floor, boxes of papers, books and notebooks on the floor. Everything on the floor, because no room. My room is tiny, and I have been hoarding things for a long, long time. Last garbage night I threw away a large black trash bag full of boxes, cardboard, and all my Birchboxes and Glossyboxes. I had them piled high on the floor with products in them. When I threw them away, I found that some of the Glossyboxes were faded from the sun and had baby spiders in them.

Looking forward to garbage night and getting some more things decluttered. I feel like such a bad example for a beauty forum!

Last edited:
I have a massive paper clutter problem! It's been going on for years. I have mountains of old papers lying around. Piles of big black garbage bags filled with papers. Why do I have this problem? It's twofold. First, I hate to throw anything away, even old papers, because I feel attached to them; I feel they are connected to good memories. For example, my Mom passed away in 2013, and I've been keeping any paper that is from her house, that has her handwriting, such as her bills, check register, anything. Sometimes I want to keep fast food receipts because they remind me of how I enjoyed a meal! Second, I am afraid to throw anything away that has my info on it, because then my identity will be stolen - so I don't get rid of the massive containers of old credit card statements and so forth. Sometimes I'll try to work on them, and I'll cut them up one by one, but then the job gets tedious, and I give up.

So yesterday I treated myself to a little paper shredder! Not an expensive one, but a little $40.00 one from Target. I will show you when it comes. I cannot wait to have it, because it will make me motivated to work on my papers. I'm so, so excited for it. I know I've done a great thing for myself.

Why do I tell such embarrassing things on a beauty forum? Well, I have a fake name here, and I just can't help writing about these things for some reason, though I feel embarrassed.

Ty for your post! I need to follow suit. I am a huge hoarder and have the exact same problem getting rid of ANYTHING!! Sigh, if only I was so brave to start throwing things away!

I think to stop hoarding you have to look at the reasons why it started in the first place. It usually fills some sort of emotional emptiness.

I'm still working on the declutter. I got rid of all my books, sadly. I'm working on the papers now, which is a huge project. I got a set of garment bags to organize my closet, and a makeup organizer to redo my cosmetics (small drawer set with lipstick holder). I hope I will be able to get my room under control by Dec 31, and then start a No Buy on Jan 1. Right now I am kind of buying out of control again!

*****Also, I have a beauty advent calendar from last year. I still have some of the products that were in it, although I have used many up. Maybe I will refill it and use it again. In that case I would start my No Buy on Dec 1. That would give me six weeks to work on papers, work on clothes, organize cosmetics, refill advent calendar, organize bills. Then I would start Dec 1 on my No Buy, project use it up, and debt snowball with a fresh lease on everything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back