My worst make over experience ever at laura mercier's event today

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was really excited about this laura mercier event at nordstrom this weekend. I got an appt weeks in advance and it totally pissed me off.

Ok i got there and the MA asked me what products im using and what kind of look i was looking for today. I said ive been using lm's oil free foundation and i told her what e/s from this line i own. I told her that the foundation has been making my face a little irritated so we should try something different, and i want a "going out" look because i was going out tonite. I also told her i wanted eyes that "pop" something dramatic but not too much and not scary.

So this is what she did

She used a moisturizing foundation which cointained oil which im allergic to and i told her in advance. I didnt know it had oil. 2-3 hours later, my face started having rashes that i had to rush home to wash, and re do my make up over. It was like an oil slick also. such b ad reaction.

Next step, she did my eyes which she only put on one coat of a pink cream eyeshadow, no base, no powder eyeshadow to set, no dark color to "pop". I thought she was putting the pink on as a base. Then she drew my eyebrows which looked totally hideous. She lined my eyes which she did a good job, but she used a pencil so that did not last. It smudged after 2-3 hours. She only put on one coat of mascara on my top lashes, none on the bottom, and she didn't even curl my eyelashes.

I was so pale, and i told her i wanted to look tan, and she dusted lightly a pale pink blush on me which i did not like because i said i like a sun tanned look.

For my lips, she did not even line them to make them look more pouty. She only put on a light coat of lipgloss. Ok the look was natural, which was ok, but not what i wanted, and it wasnt anything spectacular or difficult to do. It was a look that any person can pull off. It was so easy to do that anyone couldve done it. I wanted a look of a make up artist. i was soo disapointed. I did not learn anything new or got a new look.

On top of that, she was pushing me to buy the products. She was so pushy, worse than a sales girl. I was just so irritated that i bought some brushes to get her off my back, and i did not even say anything about my make up because i wanted to get out of there so fast.

She told me she's a national make up artist for LM, and i think its a lie. I thought these national ma's are totally talented and they are great at suggestions and they know exactly what they are doing. I didnt question her because i thought she knew what she was doing.

this was the worst experience ever.
icon_frown.gif
Thanks guys for reading this.

Aww..That's horrible..I'm sorry.Sounds more like she was a free lance artist& not a national rep.who's supposed to be knowlegable about the line.I would have pitched a witch for sure

Originally Posted by maiho I was really excited about this laura mercier event at nordstrom this weekend. I got an appt weeks in advance and it totally pissed me off.
Ok i got there and the MA asked me what products im using and what kind of look i was looking for today. I said ive been using lm's oil free foundation and i told her what e/s from this line i own. I told her that the foundation has been making my face a little irritated so we should try something different, and i want a "going out" look because i was going out tonite. I also told her i wanted eyes that "pop" something dramatic but not too much and not scary.

So this is what she did

She used a moisturizing foundation which cointained oil which im allergic to and i told her in advance. I didnt know it had oil. 2-3 hours later, my face started having rashes that i had to rush home to wash, and re do my make up over. It was like an oil slick also. such b ad reaction.

Next step, she did my eyes which she only put on one coat of a pink cream eyeshadow, no base, no powder eyeshadow to set, no dark color to "pop". I thought she was putting the pink on as a base. Then she drew my eyebrows which looked totally hideous. She lined my eyes which she did a good job, but she used a pencil so that did not last. It smudged after 2-3 hours. She only put on one coat of mascara on my top lashes, none on the bottom, and she didn't even curl my eyelashes.

I was so pale, and i told her i wanted to look tan, and she dusted lightly a pale pink blush on me which i did not like because i said i like a sun tanned look.

For my lips, she did not even line them to make them look more pouty. She only put on a light coat of lipgloss. Ok the look was natural, which was ok, but not what i wanted, and it wasnt anything spectacular or difficult to do. It was a look that any person can pull off. It was so easy to do that anyone couldve done it. I wanted a look of a make up artist. i was soo disapointed. I did not learn anything new or got a new look.

On top of that, she was pushing me to buy the products. She was so pushy, worse than a sales girl. I was just so irritated that i bought some brushes to get her off my back, and i did not even say anything about my make up because i wanted to get out of there so fast.

She told me she's a national make up artist for LM, and i think its a lie. I thought these national ma's are totally talented and they are great at suggestions and they know exactly what they are doing. I didnt question her because i thought she knew what she was doing.

this was the worst experience ever.
icon_frown.gif
Thanks guys for reading this.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I would have been so mad too. I've had my makeup done once at the LM counter at Saks and the girl was a national makeup artist for the line and she did an excellent job. I looked like I was straight from a magazine add. She also wrote it all down for me on paper and wasn't pushing me to buy anything. I ended up buying something but she didn't even do the purchase part. She only did my makeup. I seriously doubt that this girl that you had was a national makeup artist for the line or if she was she sure wasn't qualified.

I had a feelin that girl was not a national make up artist. She didnt know a lot of things i asked her. Ive had my make up done by one of LM's artist before, and he did a great job. I had no complains. He did exactly what i had in mind, plus he was very friendly nor did he ask me to buy anything. He just wrote down the stuff he used on me and said its totally up to me if i want to purchase it.

Originally Posted by Reija(admin) Sorry to hear about your experience. I would have been so mad too. I've had my makeup done once at the LM counter at Saks and the girl was a national makeup artist for the line and she did an excellent job. I looked like I was straight from a magazine add. She also wrote it all down for me on paper and wasn't pushing me to buy anything. I ended up buying something but she didn't even do the purchase part. She only did my makeup. I seriously doubt that this girl that you had was a national makeup artist for the line or if she was she sure wasn't qualified.

Awh what a shame,i totally sympathise with you. Its terrible having your hopes dashed and being dissapointed. I know, i understand. Ime pretty sure we all feel for you after your horrible experience. I once had a similar experience, and i was so excited and looking forward to a new makeover which i had saved up and paid for,only to be dissapointed almost to tears! I was really young at the time, and put all my faith in the ma, thinking she would transform me with some amazing new look. How wrong i was. I could have done better with my eyes closed, and i just wanted to leave as fast as possible to wash it all off. At least when i did, i looked like myself again!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear your experience today was so awful. I was at the same event, also had an appointment this afternoon, but I guess mine went a little better (sorry). The woman who did my makeup was so pleasant and friendly, asked lots of questions, and explained every step, but not in a way that made me feel like an idiot. She asked if I use any LM products (only lip products until today) and if I was looking for any particular kind of look, or had any special things she could address for me. I just wanted a whole fresh look to look polished. She did the whole enchilada and I was in that chair for almost an HOUR (I guess I looked pretty bad when I walked in!!). After she was done, the eyebrow lady came over to help me out because my brows are pretty sad looking. I've gone to numerous cosmetic counters in the past and totally dumbfounded the salespeople when I asked for help, so this was a real treat. For the first time ever, my brows look "normal". I was told by numerous people that the eyebrow lady is a national MA and was on the Today Show recently (is that right?).

Karen

Originally Posted by KarenScoots /img/forum/go_quote.gif Wow, I'm sorry to hear your experience today was so awful. I was at the same event, also had an appointment this afternoon, but I guess mine went a little better (sorry). The woman who did my makeup was so pleasant and friendly, asked lots of questions, and explained every step, but not in a way that made me feel like an idiot. She asked if I use any LM products (only lip products until today) and if I was looking for any particular kind of look, or had any special things she could address for me. I just wanted a whole fresh look to look polished. She did the whole enchilada and I was in that chair for almost an HOUR (I guess I looked pretty bad when I walked in!!). After she was done, the eyebrow lady came over to help me out because my brows are pretty sad looking. I've gone to numerous cosmetic counters in the past and totally dumbfounded the salespeople when I asked for help, so this was a real treat. For the first time ever, my brows look "normal". I was told by numerous people that the eyebrow lady is a national MA and was on the Today Show recently (is that right?).
Karen

Welcome to MUT!
It looks like this thread is two years old. Glad that you had a great experience though.

Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif Welcome to MUT!
It looks like this thread is two years old. Glad that you had a great experience though.

dito.gif

Originally Posted by Marisol /img/forum/go_quote.gif Welcome to MUT!

yah, welcome to MuT Karen .. i didn't realize it was an old thread 'til i saw Reija's post while scrolling down (Reija never post anymore ) ... thx for sharing your experiece, happi to hear it was a good one

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. While I understand she has to sell products too, it is you who must be satisfied with their work. Don't ever feel pressured to spend money when you're not happy with the service.
hug.gif

Update: I see this message was originally posted 2 years ago.
10.gif

oops!!

But thank you for the warm welcome!! I promise to pay attention to dates from now on.

This looks like a great forum - I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Karen

Lol, this thread is two years old. Thanks for sharing though! This is why I never really like make over thing specially at cosmetic counter.

Originally Posted by Mezzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^Wow, you are very pretty Leony! Aww thank you Mezzi. By the way welcome to MUT!

Latest posts

Back