Nail Art & Stamping

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by Sunflowercake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Awwwe yay, thanks for starting this! I have quite a few plates at home and would love to start stamping at home. i have some Konad ones but also bought a set of Bundlemonster a few months ago. My issue is the price on the stamping polish but that's what you get when you want better quality. What is everyone else using for stamping?
I use primarily Sinful Colors Black on Black and Snow Me White for my black and white.  I use bottles that are at least 1/3rd gone and are starting to get thick.  Kleancolor black is awesome as is Wet n' Wild Black Creme and Milani High Speed Fast Dry in White On the Spot.  I also use a ton of Kleancolor (I have like a zillion mini's)  and Sally Hansen Insta-Dri polishes for my other colors.  Silver Sweep is a great silver stamping polish.  Pretty much anything that is thicker and can go opaque in one coat is good.  Foil polishes work as well, I often use Color Club foil set.  I recommend trying a polish you like and if it doesn't stamp well keep trying with different polishes until it works.  I have some colors that won't pick up the thinner more detailed images but they are great for the larger ones and vice versa.

As far as quality here is one of them I did with the Sinful Colors Black on Black and as you can see it's really crisp. I have never used a Konad polish mostly because I don't like waiting for shipping and the price is an issue.  I did spend $5.99 on the Milani because I heard such great things about it but it did the same thing my Snow Me White did and only after I had used it up a little.

Sorry these are all duplicates of ones I have posted before but the relevance to this is why I am posting them here.

Here is Sinful Colors Snow Me White over textured polish.  The only reason there is any missing areas is I did it in a hurry and didn't apply the stamp correctly on the tree image on my ring finger.

Here are a few others I did using primarily Sally Hansen polishes or the Sinful Colors Snow Me White.

Those are all beautiful!

@angismith. Hi. I don't have any stamping supplies yet. Total beginner. I have lots of polishes. Just need all the equippment.

Quote: Originally Posted by Natme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Awesome thread! I was looking for a place here to show off my manis as i'm learning to do nail art.  I know I got a long way to go but I would love some feedback. So last week I was a little let down cause I couldnt afford Julep's spooky sets, even tho I already own one or more of the colors on most of the sets. So I decided to do my own spooky many.

Here's lasts Wednesday's many : I used Julep's Francis and Charlotte and some cheap nail art pen I found on five below...

And here's this weekend's many: I used Julep's Catrina and Natasha along with Salon express's Black bold and Snow white.

As you can see i'm new at this but I'm having so much fun. I think my next mani will be about ghosts. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Love the candy corn!

Quote: Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Did a little striping last night...I HATE IT!!! LOL...i don't like metallics, why on earth did i do a metallic stripe...oh yea, Halloween inspiration i wanted a purple and green and all my others were too light...

anywho, this is kleancolor metallic fuchsia and metallic green

cute!

Love plate is from the Bundle Monster 2012 set plate BM311.  I buy most of my plates on Amazon.com.  I paid $21.99.  I have now 126 plates I think.  I keep mine in a 3 ring binder with baseball card sleeves.

It's getting a bit heavy so next set I think I will get another binder.  Also I have to keep flat or if I turn towards the top some will spill out.  It's not perfect but I think I paid $3.00 for the binder and less than $3.00 for a set of 10 sleeves that hold 9 plates each.

I cut the drawer liners to fit the sleeves so it helps to keep the plates in.  I am on my second one and I got them at the Dollar Tree.
great idea! I kept my original bm box they came in but it would be much nicer to have them like this and sort them!!

Quote: Originally Posted by angismith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Christa, what is the "Love" plate that you used in this picture? i.e. What brand, #, best place to buy? I have seen this plate several times in stamping manicures and know that I want to use it .... And how do you store your plates?
Love plate is from the Bundle Monster 2012 set plate BM311.  I buy most of my plates on Amazon.com.  I paid $21.99.  I have now 126 plates I think.  I keep mine in a 3 ring binder with baseball card sleeves.

It's getting a bit heavy so next set I think I will get another binder.  Also I have to keep flat or if I turn towards the top some will spill out.  It's not perfect but I think I paid $3.00 for the binder and less than $3.00 for a set of 10 sleeves that hold 9 plates each.

I cut the drawer liners to fit the sleeves so it helps to keep the plates in.  I am on my second one and I got them at the Dollar Tree.

That's such a cute way to store your plates.

that's funny...i rip off pieces of mine(same type..cheap sponges) i find a smaller nail sized piece is so much easier to control...not to mention frugal!

and for the original question...make sure your sponge is slightly damp!!
Thanks for that tip, @lissa1307 I did not know about the slightly damp sponge ... maybe that is why I haven't enjoyed the gradients as much as some people do!

Quote: Originally Posted by nichayes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@angismith. Hi. I don't have any stamping supplies yet. Total beginner. I have lots of polishes. Just need all the equippment.
Hi, @nichayes I just got my stamper Friday and my first plate, so we can learn some techniques together!

Quote: Originally Posted by JC327 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jay, isn't that notebook idea fantastic?!

I got my supplies and gave it a try. All the pros make it look so easy! Mine wasn't close to perfect but from a distance you couldn't tell! Sadly, I did it before heading to do yard work which ruined most of it :(Looking forward to keep practicing and learning from you all!

got rid of my detested metallic mani in favor of a tidy little bondi mani.(tidy if not for it being pre clean up and having horrid cuticles right now since i've been working a lot this week and no amount of care has counteracted the horrors they face daily)

i used lady liberty and some round black studs, and topped with 2 coats of im vers.

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138547/stamping-equipment/0_100

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/138537/nail-art-dictionary/0_100
Thanks, zadidoll! I'm a little overwhelmed with household and medical issues this weekend to give this forum it's proper attention.

I had a CT scan of my lungs for pneumonia on Monday. Results, Tuesday: No pneumonia. That cleared the way for a scan of gallbladder function on Wednesday. My gallbladder has 0% function with no ducts blocked! Then an endoscopy and colonoscopy on Thursday. Had 4 areas of erosion in stomach and two different kinds of polyps in large intestine. Waiting on routine biopsies. Scheduling surgery for gallbladder removal. At for those that have supported me and encouraged me the past couple of months, my blood pressure issues are still unresolved ... cardiologist on Tuesday.

So, even though I am whining, I still want to get this forum up and going and appreciate everyone who is making it a reality! I can see threads breaking down into How-To's, Product Reviews, Display Your Artwork, Questions for Beginners, ... just initial thoughts.

Wow that's so many appointments to go to. I hope they are closer to figuring out what is wrong with you. I hope all turns well with your surgery.
hug.gif

got rid of my detested metallic mani in favor of a tidy little bondi mani.(tidy if not for it being pre clean up and having horrid cuticles right now since i've been working a lot this week and no amount of care has counteracted the horrors they face daily)

i used lady liberty and some round black studs, and topped with 2 coats of im vers.

I love Lady Liberty! And the black studs! Did you use a tweezer to place them? I have a nifty little tool from Sally's that picks them up and helps placing them easier than tweezers (at least it seems that way to me).

Wow that's so many appointments to go to. I hope they are closer to figuring out what is wrong with you. I hope all turns well with your surgery.
hug.gif

Thanks, Jay! We are beginning to get answers to everything except the MAIN issue - blood pressure changes! But that appt. is Tuesday, so maybe some insight this week. Discovered so far is gallbladder has 0% ejection with no blockage, and stomach erosion found during the endoscopy. No more aspirins, Aleve, Motrin, etc. Tylenol only. Waiting for routine biopsies of stomach and a couple of polyps in large intestine. No pneumonia. Gallbladder has to come out. I thought surgery was going to be the 30th, but turns out that is just a CONSULTATION for surgery. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. If there's anything else, I don't know yet. Although the possibility of a heart catherization has been mentioned. I am such a homebody that the mega-appointment schedule is more stressful than the actual procedures!

I use just general cosmetic sponges I get at Dollar General or a similar type of store.  28 sponges for $1.00.  Once I use one and it dries I will trim them off with a scissors and toss the used portion so I get many uses out of them.  I am not sure if that is common practice or not but I am a bit frugal.  I have had some that were a bit flimsy and I prefer the stiffer ones.  I know Walmart carries them for a decent price as well.
that's funny...i rip off pieces of mine(same type..cheap sponges) i find a smaller nail sized piece is so much easier to control...not to mention frugal!

and for the original question...make sure your sponge is slightly damp!!

Thanks for mentioning that, I  will try my next one with a damp sponge I had been using a dry one. I found it easier to  cut the sponge  nail  size and not too mention cheaper too lol.

Jay, isn't that notebook idea fantastic?!

I know and the kitty in the front is so cute!

hug.gif

Thanks, Jay! We are beginning to get answers to everything except the MAIN issue - blood pressure changes! But that appt. is Tuesday, so maybe some insight this week. Discovered so far is gallbladder has 0% ejection with no blockage, and stomach erosion found during the endoscopy. No more aspirins, Aleve, Motrin, etc. Tylenol only. Waiting for routine biopsies of stomach and a couple of polyps in large intestine. No pneumonia. Gallbladder has to come out. I thought surgery was going to be the 30th, but turns out that is just a CONSULTATION for surgery. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. If there's anything else, I don't know yet. Although the possibility of a heart catherization has been mentioned. I am such a homebody that the mega-appointment schedule is more stressful than the actual procedures!

Sorry to hear that you have to go through all that, it always stresses me to deal with doctors not to mention all the waiting that is involved. I will be keeping you in my prayers!

I love Lady Liberty! And the black studs! Did you use a tweezer to place them? I have a nifty little tool from Sally's that picks them up and helps placing them easier than tweezers (at least it seems that way to me).
i actually have some of those wax "picker" pencils coming, but for now i've been dipping my dotter in water and using it to pick up the studs...when i've tried tweezers they seem to shoot across the room never to be seen again,lol.

Back