Nail Polish and Men

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Hezzie!

One thing I discovered about nail polish is that it works just like the paint on my car. I mean - I work in heavy construction, I have to wear steel-toe boots all day. They have no ventilation at all, so they trap moisture and breed nastiness. I've always, forever, been terribly embarrassed to let anybody see my feet. But the paint hides the fugliness, and it protects my toenails from the dampness and decay. That pink - "girly" as pink is - was 1000x better than my natural feet, and I was not embarrassed at all to be seen wearing it. Then, the extra exposure to light and air healed my feet completely, and (my theory..) residual solvents help prevent reinfection. By the end of the first week, I couldn't wait to change the pink for a better color, and my toes have been polished ever since!

Ladies, I'm serious - there is no real reason for guys to avoid a "masculine" color on their toes... and there's actually a good reason for men TO wear nail color. If your man has foot/shoe problems like I did... PLEASE encourage him to let you paint his toes! OPI's "Roadhouse Blues", BB Couture's "Grenade", ManGlaze's "Matte is Murder" (black, matches a Glock 9, google "Scrangie Glock" to see a photo..) or "Santorum" (reddish espresso matte brown - you'll like it on you with a gloss topcoat..) are all excellent choices for men. Take one week to try it, then see how you both feel about it.

Hezzie, here's a blue I wore - "Blue My Mind" by OPI.

hai

your information is good use the my beauty.

[*edited by mod-links removed*

That looks awesome! My hubby wears boots all day, he paints cars, but he's never had an issue with his toe nails, that I know of. I actually asked him last night if I could paint his toes and it was an unequivocal no lol You have really nice feet btw.

Originally Posted by ToePolishSteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you, Hezzie!

One thing I discovered about nail polish is that it works just like the paint on my car. I mean - I work in heavy construction, I have to wear steel-toe boots all day. They have no ventilation at all, so they trap moisture and breed nastiness. I've always, forever, been terribly embarrassed to let anybody see my feet. But the paint hides the fugliness, and it protects my toenails from the dampness and decay. That pink - "girly" as pink is - was 1000x better than my natural feet, and I was not embarrassed at all to be seen wearing it. Then, the extra exposure to light and air healed my feet completely, and (my theory..) residual solvents help prevent reinfection. By the end of the first week, I couldn't wait to change the pink for a better color, and my toes have been polished ever since!

Ladies, I'm serious - there is no real reason for guys to avoid a "masculine" color on their toes... and there's actually a good reason for men TO wear nail color. If your man has foot/shoe problems like I did... PLEASE encourage him to let you paint his toes! OPI's "Roadhouse Blues", BB Couture's "Grenade", ManGlaze's "Matte is Murder" (black, matches a Glock 9, google "Scrangie Glock" to see a photo..) or "Santorum" (reddish espresso matte brown - you'll like it on you with a gloss topcoat..) are all excellent choices for men. Take one week to try it, then see how you both feel about it.

Hezzie, here's a blue I wore - "Blue My Mind" by OPI.

Hello all, I am a  mostly normal (
icon_smile.gif
) 42 year old married guy here, and I love to keep my toe nails painted. This started when I was a teenager and has carried on throughout my life. Every girlfriend I had knew and thought it was great, my wife was completely fine with it from the beginning, my daughter has always known and has been with me for pedicures, but I never fealt comfortable enough to show my friends or go out in public. I'll admit, I was scared about the reaction it would receive and what people would say. The funny thing about this is I am a pretty strong willed guy and don't really care about what people think and have no problem telling people off if need be, but was worried about this. Last year things changed for me, and in a very positive way.

We bought a vacation home in Phoenix AZ 2 years ago and when I was in Phoenix I would keep my nails painted and wear sandals, for awhile I was convinced everybody was staring at me and would walk around people or try not to be seen. After awhile I realized nobody really cared, I did have a few comments from women and all were extremely positive, which definitely boosted my confidence. So I decided last summer that now was the time to start being me at home also, and was sure I was going to get some grief from my buddys. Again, no one cared. I have heard a few jokes but everyone, friend and their wives, their kids, my dad, my in-laws, have seen me proudly showing off my toes nicely painted and well taken care of and seriously everything is positive. I have had to share my nail polish a few times now with friends wives who love the colour I am wearing! I have been on vacation a few times and worn sandals exclusively, Vegas, Mexico and always in Phoenix. Again no one says anything, and those that do always have a compliment. I really can't tell you how great it feels to just be a normal guy showing off a nice pedicure, what was I scared of all those years?

Funny things is the lady who does my pedicures, and those before her, have told me they have men almost everyday in their spas. So this is definitely a pretty common thing, it's just that everyone seems to be hiding it. I have yet to see another guy in public with painted toes but wish that all those that keep it hidden would just start doing it and be proud! As far as I am concerned now this is perfectly socially acceptable, makes me happy and the world a better place.
icon_biggrin.gif

Now, if I only had more space for my OPI and BB Couture collections.

WhooooHoooo!!

Congrats on having the courage to step out of your comfort zone and live your life the way you want!

Life is too short to care what others think and live the way your peers find excepting for their own personal comfort level.

I love a guy with a pedicure, and nail polish on his finger nails is hot too!

Welcome to makeuptalk! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by YYCguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_smile.gif
) 42 year old married guy here, and I love to keep my toe nails painted. This started when I was a teenager and has carried on throughout my life. Every girlfriend I had knew and thought it was great, my wife was completely fine with it from the beginning, my daughter has always known and has been with me for pedicures, but I never fealt comfortable enough to show my friends or go out in public. I'll admit, I was scared about the reaction it would receive and what people would say. The funny thing about this is I am a pretty strong willed guy and don't really care about what people think and have no problem telling people off if need be, but was worried about this. Last year things changed for me, and in a very positive way.

We bought a vacation home in Phoenix AZ 2 years ago and when I was in Phoenix I would keep my nails painted and wear sandals, for awhile I was convinced everybody was staring at me and would walk around people or try not to be seen. After awhile I realized nobody really cared, I did have a few comments from women and all were extremely positive, which definitely boosted my confidence. So I decided last summer that now was the time to start being me at home also, and was sure I was going to get some grief from my buddys. Again, no one cared. I have heard a few jokes but everyone, friend and their wives, their kids, my dad, my in-laws, have seen me proudly showing off my toes nicely painted and well taken care of and seriously everything is positive. I have had to share my nail polish a few times now with friends wives who love the colour I am wearing! I have been on vacation a few times and worn sandals exclusively, Vegas, Mexico and always in Phoenix. Again no one says anything, and those that do always have a compliment. I really can't tell you how great it feels to just be a normal guy showing off a nice pedicure, what was I scared of all those years?

Funny things is the lady who does my pedicures, and those before her, have told me they have men almost everyday in their spas. So this is definitely a pretty common thing, it's just that everyone seems to be hiding it. I have yet to see another guy in public with painted toes but wish that all those that keep it hidden would just start doing it and be proud! As far as I am concerned now this is perfectly socially acceptable, makes me happy and the world a better place.
icon_biggrin.gif

TBH I prob would never even notice if some guy had his toe nails painted lol I think this is more common than we think. I'm glad everything has worked out positively for you
smile.gif

Originally Posted by YYCguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by Male Polish /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well overall I have to say that the manicure/ pedicure was a very pleasant experience, I got a few weird looks, but it didnt bother me.  I do like the white tip my girlfriend told me to try.  I'm gonna go get a green polish in a few days to try out,  if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to try them too.

The first time I got a mani/pedi I told my husband he needs to have one! OMG it's so relaxing and you feel so pampered. Of course he said no even when I told him, hell you don't have to have them put on polish if you don't want to. He could have just had his nails shaped and buffed, but some guys! *hmph!* So stuck in their ways and societies boxes.

Originally Posted by JakeK01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey Katana, I'm one of the models on the BB Couture website and I can assure you that they get a lot of business from both men and women from their men's nail polish line.  They offer some pretty cool colors that you just can't find anywhere else, colors that look masculine but work equally well for women who just want to bit of edge to their look.

Thanks for the endorsement!

- Jake K.

I actually like the mens line better than the womens since the colors usually are more interesting and different, the kind you don't find anywhere else. I don't like pinks, reds, the expected colors, as much. (I will still wear them and buy them, but do like different and new shades so much more.)

There are a couple of colors I thought of immediately that I think would look great on a guy, they are the newer colors from Rimmel Lasting Finish. The first is Hard Metal, it's a steel blue metallic. The other is Rags to Riches and it's an olive green metallic. Great colors!

I love men with painted nails, I think definitely more guys should try it. In my experience when you ask a guy if you could paint his nails (either toe- or fingernails) they first act a bit reluctant but usually end up with saying "Well ok, if you really want to..." and afterwards they love it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't think guys should be afraid of wearing nail polish, it's sexy and whenever I see a man with nail polish I immediately get the impression that he must be a confident person.

Originally Posted by Hezzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That looks awesome! My hubby wears boots all day, he paints cars, but he's never had an issue with his toe nails, that I know of. I actually asked him last night if I could paint his toes and it was an unequivocal no lol You have really nice feet btw.
Thank you, Hezzie! The funny thing is, before I discovered color in July, I was so embarrassed by my feet that I couldn't let anybody see them! I really was the guy wearing old sneakers into the lake at the beach.

Try this - buy a bottle of something "manly". Dark hunter green. OPI's "Roadhouse Blues" or "Blue My Mind". Show this bottle to your hubby and say "I would love to see this on you, it would mean a lot to me... and we can take it right off if it looks bad. But, it's up to you. Let me know when you're ready... until then, it's right here, and this bottle is the remover". It might take him a week or two - but I bet that by Valentines Day, he'll have thought about it enough to say "OK". Four days before Valentines, put it on YOUR toes, make sure he sees them. He just might surprise you for Valentines Day! (You might also notice the level in the bottle dropping - he'll probably try it on in private before letting you know...) Good luck!

YYC, where do you get pedicures in PHX?  Been wearing a long time, rarely in public.  Like blues, but will wear most anything.  Why not?  Its fun

I'm not sure if we can post spas names in here so I sent you a PM L1011. I will say they are extremely friendly and do a great job!

I LOVE nail polish on men. I'm bringing one of my good friends a nail polish to try out today -- Loredana, by Zoya. It's a matte, which always looks super nice on guys. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hello I am I phoenix az and wear nail polish. I recently began wearing it in public although on very select low traffic places. I have been thinking of going to and catching a movie just to show my pedi. However I have not seen any men in public with nail polish. I wish the trend would not take off faster. Maybes we should make it a night at the movies for men with nail polish. Something to get it going.

Originally Posted by ts3232 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello I am I phoenix az and wear nail polish. I recently began wearing it in public although on very select low traffic places. I have been thinking of going to and catching a movie just to show my pedi. However I have not seen any men in public with nail polish. I wish the trend would not take off faster. Maybes we should make it a night at the movies for men with nail polish. Something to get it going.

Would you be wearing open toe shoes or sandals to expose your toenails? Shouldn't be to much exposure to the public at a movie theater. I have gone completely dressed to the movies and there were very few people in the lobby when I went in and also at the confection counter to buy popcorn. I don't pass as a female very well, but was not denied a ticket to see the movie. I seen "My Week With Marilyn" Thanksgiving day and then "The Descendants" on Christmas Day. It was in Minneapolis, MN so did not wear open toe shoes. 
wink.gif

I don't have a problem with guys wearing polish. My boyfriend lets me try out my polish on his nails before I do them on mine. He doesn't keep them on long though. I say whatever floats your boat, and go for it! 

Latest posts

Back